+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Wifi Sdio Options

I have been hearing conflicting stories about which options will work for SDIO WIFI on the PPC 6601. Has there been any consensus as to which will definitely work?

I am particuarily concernced about a WIFI option with memory on it as well.

Thanks.

The "regular" SanDisk and Socket SDIO WiFi cards work. The SanDisk WiFi + 256MB does not - there is a known driver incompatiblity.
    John

hmmm

Any comments from Sandisk on a new driver?

Out Of Control PPC User merkman's Avatar
    Frankly, and I may be alone on this... I won't be happy with an SDIO wi-fi option until it's 802.11g. My home network is setup to use all "g" devices, and I don't see the point in going "b" just for my phone that has Internet through Sprint anyway. So come on companies, give us SD 802.11g!!!

The previous comments are NOT those of pdaPhoneHome.com, and should not be used without permission.
    Cingular 8525 with Black 3.0.1 ROM (WM6)
    Paired: Sony MEX-BT2500 (car stereo w/ audio streaming, it's AWESOME!), i.Trek GPS w/ i.Guidence software, a few PC's

LOL!
    John

bump

/bump

Re: hmmm

Originally posted by Crotius
    Any comments from Sandisk on a new driver?
    Not that I know of.
    John

Originally posted by merkman
    Frankly, and I may be alone on this... I won't be happy with an SDIO wi-fi option until it's 802.11g. My home network is setup to use all "g" devices, and I don't see the point in going "b" just for my phone that has Internet through Sprint anyway.
    I feel the same way and my home wireless network is all 802.11G, but I haven't seen any news about an SDIO WiFi that uses 802.11G.

I guess if you need to use WiFi now for some reason your options are limited to Socket Wifi or SanDisk without the memory.

A pocketpc can't even really utilize the 802.11 B speed let alone G, the only reason I could think of in wanting this is to not have to run a router in mixed mode, but I don't see why that would be a big deal. I doubt manufacturers will go through the trouble of making G sdio cards just for that reason but who knows as once G is what everyone uses they may just have to...
    Tom

Update on drivers?

So has anyone noted any updated drivers for the Memory + WIFI option?

Nope, according to their website they do not support Pocket PCs from Audiovox or Siemens. The drivers aren't updated either.
    John

Re: Update on drivers?

Originally posted by Crotius
    So has anyone noted any updated drivers for the Memory + WIFI option?
    I spoke with Sandisk tech support last week. He told me there was no PLAN to put out drivers for the PPC6601 and that I should return the chip. He was quite clear.

Originally posted by fixn278
    Conflicting info...

http://www.sandisk.com/pdf/retail/wi...patibility.pdf
    The product I discussed with the tech was the combo with 256 MB and WiFi. He told me to return it.

Well, that was an interesting PDF....guess we are still getting conflicting reports. Has anyone actually gotten the card w/ memory to work? Other than hearing that it does?

This is a new PDA for me. It is my understanding the PPC-6601 is equivalent (or identical?) to the XDA III. I think there are other "identical" models out there too.

If that is true, the Samsung PDF is saying the WiFi without memory will work, but the WiFi with memory will not work. I can tell you from personal experience the Sandisk WiFiw the 256 MB memory did not work with my PPC-6601.

I would really like to hear from those with working SD WiFi with a PPC-6601.

Interesting to note they list the XV6600 as compatible with both the memory and non-memory versions... maybe its worth a try.

Just a note for this problem with the SD Wi-Fi option. If you use the driver for the Sandisk Wi-Fi card without memory, The Wi-Fi works and works well. You will NOT have the availablity to use the memory in the card. I know this is no better than buying the card without memory, but for those like myself who can not return the card, at least I am able to use the Wi-Fi option until the driver issue is fixed. If I need memory, I will just have to switch out with my old SD card. Hopefully Sandisk will update this driver soon so the card works properly. Good Luck.

Out Of Control PPC User merkman's Avatar
    Well, I'm eating my words.

Now that I've started a new job, the company has wireless networking. And since I'm in tech support, what better way to learn about wireless networking with the company than to implement it myself?

So I ordered the Socket SDIO network adapter just moments ago from Buy.com. $70 seemed about the best price I could find, and it will be a LOT easier inserting that card when I want to use Terminal Services, etc... than adding bluetooth features to my desktop and setting up ICS, etc.

I've never used terminal services before, so that will be another neat part of getting this card. More learning please!!!
    Cingular 8525 with Black 3.0.1 ROM (WM6)
    Paired: Sony MEX-BT2500 (car stereo w/ audio streaming, it's AWESOME!), i.Trek GPS w/ i.Guidence software, a few PC's

One more note. I am using the sandisk wifi card no memory. I had trouble getting it to work with Sandisk's driver. I installed Socket's software and driver and it works great.(Ehud's tip, thanks man)
    AT&T Jailbroken Iphone 3G 2.2