+ Reply to Thread

Crashed - Can't recover

I installed a copy of PowerCheck, restarted and moments later the device crashed and came up with less on it than when it came out of the box ( for example, no Word, no Excel, etc.) When I tried to sync I get a message that the device name "Pocket_PC" is already in use!

Any hints as to what to do to recover?

Re: Crashed - Can't recover

Originally posted by sbouton
    I installed a copy of PowerCheck, restarted and moments later the device crashed and came up with less on it than when it came out of the box ( for example, no Word, no Excel, etc.) When I tried to sync I get a message that the device name "Pocket_PC" is already in use!

Any hints as to what to do to recover?
    Just do a hard reset...then do your sync...then make sure you do a back-up. I would strongly suggest buy a good back-up utility. Check out Pocket gear or Handango for this utility. I have used Sprite Back Up and it has served me well....
    Just don't install PowerCheck!!!!!.....
    Funny it worked.....the last time! Now I am not sure what was working before they put a hole in my head !

Club Pocket PC Louisville JohnBecker's Avatar
    It is a shame that no one thought about implementing a button to hold in order to prevent the running of programs in your STARTUP folder. It would have to be programmed in hardware to be useful.

I had the same problem with another imcompatible program on the i700. Immediately upon reset, it would just lock up. All I could do was hard reset the darn thing.

I've got the PDA back (mostly), but had to give the device a new name. What would I assign that button to? I don't see anything to choose that would produce what sounds like a "clean boot".

Club Pocket PC Louisville JohnBecker's Avatar
    That's what I was saying... there IS NO option for that. At least when they created Windows 95 and up, you could hold down the SHIFT (or CTRL key in 2000/xp) to prevent stuff from running. They did not include that on the Pocket PC devices.

I wish they had. It would be a nice enhancement for problem applications that load upon startup.

PS: You could have used the old name, but you would have had to delete the partnership first. That's in ActiveSync under File.

Anything wrong with X Backup? Came with my phone and seems very easy to use.

More converged than ever!
    I'm in a spot that hard reset can't fix - when I started applying the 6600 patch, my PDA froze and now only displays the message Serial 1.2 but is otherwise unresponsive. Suggestions?

Thanks.
    Used to be a Kyo fan, anyway. A "Smartphone" user since adding a modem card to my HP95 Pocket Computer (1992).

Try searching and posting in the PDA2K forum. There is a fellow over there that went through something like this and he had to do something real simple to get it all to work again. He had to turn something off to the avoid the problem. Title probably has SX66 and ROM in it.

Originally posted by Kyo7135Fan
    I'm in a spot that hard reset can't fix - when I started applying the 6600 patch, my PDA froze and now only displays the message Serial 1.2 but is otherwise unresponsive. Suggestions?

Thanks.
    There's no telling what went wrong to cause the unit to freeze in the middle of the firmware update. We can only theorize. Several people, including me, experienced this problem.

Just put your XV6600 in the USB cradle, and run the Audiovox firmware update again. It should update in about 20 minutes. Watch the progress screens on both the desktop and PPC phone. The desktop will give you info about the % complete and what stack is being updated. When done, and it says "congratulations, blah, blah." remove it from the cradle. It should reset, and it should decompress and install the factory software, and run like a new unit.

Now, plug it back in in the USB cradle. It will begin a new partnership. If it says "name already in use," give it a new name. It will synch your outlook contacts, calendar, notes, taks, etc. Then Install any 3rd party applications you need from scratch.

Good luck.

Xbackup is just painfully long in backing up. It's like an Activesync junior.
    "Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience."

More converged than ever!
    Hey TonyH thanks a bunch. It worked! There was no indication that the phone was connected to my PC ... except for the tone when I plugged in the USB cable. I thought there had to be stuff loaded onto the phone before firmware update would "take" but it worked like a charm when I retried it. Why would the Audiovox docs not explain that you are absolutely destined to lose everything if you don't backup and restore?! I did and everything's back!! Thank you!
    Used to be a Kyo fan, anyway. A "Smartphone" user since adding a modem card to my HP95 Pocket Computer (1992).

Glad to help. The first time I tried the update and this happened to me I called my carrier, cussed the reps out and told them to shove the phone, and had them send a return label for my phone. The main reason I went crazy is exactly what you said: lack of good documentation.