+ Reply to Thread
    Happily Converged

Thumbs up Audio Books / Audible.com

I’ve been an avid audio books listener for quite some time. On my previous phone (Kyocera 7135) I had to go through a number of gyrations to load books from audible.com or CDs.

Before buying my XV6600, I checked with audible.com to see if it was supported. My response from them was essentially ‘no’ because it wasn’t on their list. I figured it couldn’t hurt to try so I installed their audible player for Pocket PC and it works great!

Very nice interface for download via the audible manager program. It will even automatically download/sync daily programs if desired.

On the PPC it not only shows the titles, but descriptions and even book covers.

Once I find a screen/button lock that works well, I’ll be a very happy geek!

I downloaded my first audible book to my 6600 last night... and to my ipod... being an audiobook fan, this was a nice surprise...

Yeah, it is nice and plays nicely on the 6600. I like seeing the book cover too.

The interface on the Palm was a little better, IMO, but a little more temperamental.
    iPhone 4S BB8830/Treo700wx/Treo700w/ XV6600/Treo600/Kyo7135

I use Audible.com on my pda2k and when I purchased the 6601 from Sprintpcs is was already installed!

What was interesting was that I didn't expect it to work on the pda2k because it would not work on my I-Mate.

My experience with support at audible is shaky at best. When I bought the I-Mate the first person told me that it would work. The second told me that it wouldn't. When I bought the pda2k I called just for grins and was told that it would NOT work, yet I already had it working just fine. The best thing to do is just give it a try.

R

Striving for Understanding novuslotus's Avatar
    Just thought I'd bump this post back up and ask a few questions, as I'm wondering if I can break in to the whole audiobook scene . . .

Is Audible.com still working well for everyone? Which payment plan seems to work the best for you folks? It seems that the system uses credits as well as a pay-as-you-go method . . . what on earth is a "credit" and is it pricey to buy these audiobooks (I took a look at some of the prices and they look comparable to hardcover prices)? And do you end up downloading an actual audio file when purchasing an audio book?

Thanks y'all. Any opinions on other audiobook sites would be great too . . . most of the ones I've seen on this site have been ebooks (some great resources for those, thanks to Hobbes and others).

Happily Converged
    I'm still a big fan.

(hoping to get a 6700 if/when Verizon gets them and hoping it will work with Bluetooth, but that's a different topic)

I've done both the 'monthly payment' plan and the 'ultimate listener plan'.

It used to be that if you were on the monthly payment plan and neglected to use your 'credits' you would loose them. I changed to the ultimate listener plan. Something like 12 credits for $120.00. You had a year to use them up.

A credit = 1 book so you end up paying more like $10/book regardless of the 'list' price.

They just came up with some new plans that allow you to roll over credits. I'm seriously looking at the 'Platinum Member' plan which is either $22.95/month for 2 credits/month or $229.50 if you pay for the year in advance for 24 credits + a $10 gift certificate & a free subscription to the audio version of the New York Times or Wall Street Journal.

For subscription programs, you can even have them automatically download and sync to the device during the night so you have your fresh news each morning.

Another source is simplyaudiobooks.com They have recently started a download program though I haven't tried it.

Additionally, some libraries are starting to make download audiobooks available but I believe titles may be somewhat limited.

I want the audiobook of war & peace. cuz I ain't readin that sucka lol
    iPhone 3G (sorry Sprint, I have been to the mountain top!) <-- Sprint Mogul PPC 6800 (not enough memory) <-- PPC 6700 (loaner from sprint) <-- PPC 6600 (no EVDO) <-- G1000 (no SMS) Cardo Scala-500 BT
    I'm rockin Verizon Fios baby! 20Mbs is dumb fast! http://www.speedtest.net/result/295783856.png

I've used audio.com for about 5 years now, and have approximately 200 books in my library on the internet! One of the great things about it is once you buy the book you don't have to download it - you can keep it on their site until you're ready to read it. And even after you download it it stays in your library online so if you decide you need space (or if your computer crashes) you can always download it again. I will never, never, travel on a plane again without having at least 3 fresh books on my iPod or phone (and usually both). - sheureka
    Do good. Be kind. Have fun.

Happily Converged
    Originally posted by amirmckelvey
    I want the audiobook of war & peace. cuz I ain't readin that sucka lol
    Funny... I've been trying to bust my way through it. 80 HOURS!
    Not on my most recommended list, but hey, I would't have ever read Moby **** on paper either, but it was a good listen.

Possibly *too* converged! Gare_NY's Avatar
    Another real treat for you Audible.com fans are the downloads of NPR's "This American Life". It's somewhat of a radio documentary show, "Sort of movies for radio", as host Ira Glass describes it.

Search Audible for them, or visit www.thislife.com and peruse the archive. Before buying them on Audible.com, you can listen to any episode on thislife.com, for free, via Realplayer. I suggest searching for any episode featuring David Sedaris. He's even funnier to hear than he is to read.

Finally, if you are inclined to do a search at www.thislife.org , allow me to suggest episode 199 - The House On Loon Lake. Probably one of the best episodes they've done.

Regards,
    Gare
    'In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me lay an invincible summer'

Striving for Understanding novuslotus's Avatar
    Yeah, I'm actually pretty interested in the NYT/WSJ downloads . . . I'm assuming it's not that hard to set that up so it downloads to your device overnight so you can listen in the morning?

And does anyone have an idea as as far as how large these audiobook files are and how long it takes to load them? (of course, I'm not talking War and Peace . . . something a little more average sized maybe . . . lol) I think it's a great feature that they're saved in your "internet library" so you don't have to download them all immediately . . .

And Gare - that Sedaris guy, I've heard good things about his writing, I'll have to check out that NPR show. If only I could add about 8 more hours to my days so I could actually get in some sleep . . .

They take up very little room - and you have a choice with the "quality" of the audio so you can choose to take up even less space. It takes a minute or so to move 9 hours of audio to an sd card (using a card reader). The download from audible to your cmoputer depends on your internet speed, - sheureka
    Do good. Be kind. Have fun.

Happily Converged
    Originally posted by novuslotus
    Yeah, I'm actually pretty interested in the NYT/WSJ downloads . . . I'm assuming it's not that hard to set that up so it downloads to your device overnight so you can listen in the morning?

And does anyone have an idea as as far as how large these audiobook files are and how long it takes to load them? (of course, I'm not talking War and Peace . . . something a little more average sized maybe . . . lol) I think it's a great feature that they're saved in your "internet library" so you don't have to download them all immediately . . .

sleep . . .
    It looks like the WSJ and NYT are about 50 minutes. Depending upon the format (sound quality) selected, the files are between 2 & 14 MB. I use level 3 which makes it about 7 MB.

Yes, as stated above, it can automatically download and sync during the night.

But don't just take our word(s) for it. Go there and download a free program or 'buy' an issue of WSJ or NYT for $1.99.