+ Reply to Thread

Best GPS Experience

I am thinking about purchasing a GPS combo this week, and I was curious as to what some of the GPS users on this board thought was the best.

I have read several of the posts discussing different option, but wanted to hear some user accounts.

I have looked at Gpspassion.com, but I just wanted to hear what some of you all think.

Right now I am thinking about the itrek and iguidance combo, but let me know if someone has a better setup.

I bought the Belkin Bluetooth GPS receiver off the Dell web site and it works great. I am running the 3500 bluetooth stack and I have had no problems with it at all. I also like the software that came with it, I have put maps for almost the whole eastcost on my 1GB SD card and it only took up about 500MB. Definitely worth getting if you travel a lot.

Dan

Forever Confused
    I use the pharos i360. I first used it with my samsung i700 and a cable and was able to map cross the country north to south no problem. But now I have the BT dock for it and it's even better. I use mapopolis software which can be confusing to some. But if you learn how to use it right, there's no place you can't route to. And using the BT I can hook my PDA case over my sunvisor and just a quick lift of my eyes see the screen with out looking to the side. (speakerphone works great that way too) So whatever you do, make sure it's a BT model.

Of course I can't ...

reply as well as another person on this board (who's user name starts with a vowel & ends with a consonant ), how about looking at the following?

Add GPS, you won't regret it if you travel....

Or one could search. Or...

More seriously, I've been lurking about this subject for a while & found the info on the referenced thread quite helpful.

ymmv.

I already have the software. I just need the bluetooth hardware. I saw one in the $100 range somewhere. I just can't remember where...

$300 for just a bluetooth receiver is ridiculous...
    "Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience."

I also got the Belkin Bluetooth GPS receiver and cant be happier. I paid $130 from Buy.com awhile back and the thing is simply awesome.

Its small, fast and accurate with good battery life. I've used it now with several PDA's and its been flawless.

Also, the software is very good. For the cheap price I planned on using something else, but I have found that the software works at least as well as anything else I've tried.

I have the delorme bluelogger and use it with TomTom Navigator software and it works great, the delorme costs about $149 and comes with their software, the nice thing about it is that it will log where you went that you can then download on a PC which is cool if you want to go hiking (or keep track of someone, heh heh heh).
    Tom

Love my Socket BT GPS unit and got an otterbox case for it...perfect for muddy trails and the unexpected ditch on a mountain bike.
    Mobile Pimp: Fujitsu P7010D, Audiovox 6600, Playstation PSP, iGo Juice (70), Kingston 5gb PC-Card, SDIO Socket Wifi, Socket BlueTooth GPS, Socket CF BT Adapter, PNY 4 in 1 Memory Adapter.

Mapopolis

I use the mapopolis software with my cabled connection the the Pharos i360 receiver unit (came from Streets and Trips 2005). Once the camera version of this dang phone comes out, I am planning on using with the BT cradle.

So far mapopolis rocks.....at least for street navigation. Its cheap, fast, and very seldom wrong.

I just purchased the iTrek BT GPS. Works great, and the battery life is as advertised. No problem connecting without any BT changes (I'm waiting a liitle longer to see if the rumored Audiovox update is for real).

rbiowa - are you using the i-guidance software?

This is great information, there doesn't really seem to be a consensus #1, so I am just trying to get all the information I can.

Anyone used the Fortuna BT GPS ?

Do any of the programs update you with traffic information and how good are they if you miss your exit or turn? Do they update quick enough?

Thanks for all your input, I just like to research as much as I can, please post on.

Yes, I'm using the i-guidance. Great package as recommended by Oneoftwenty.

I think functionality is so basic, there are very few things that separate the units. The biggest difference maybe battery life, although most seem to last about the same amount of time. The other major difference would be protocol. Those using SiRF are supposed to get better reception, particuarlly in foliage.

I like the Socket BT because it didn't come with a normal AC adapter, but the charger for the XV6600 and my old iPaq 555 work(ed) fine; small and compacy (most BT units are), and it has an external antenna connector.

The other thing that is really independent of the hardware, is the software you choose to use. IMO, picking a BT GPS unit is a matter of style...finding the right software package that meets your needs is where you spend the most time.
    Mobile Pimp: Fujitsu P7010D, Audiovox 6600, Playstation PSP, iGo Juice (70), Kingston 5gb PC-Card, SDIO Socket Wifi, Socket BlueTooth GPS, Socket CF BT Adapter, PNY 4 in 1 Memory Adapter.

I found this one: http://www.buygpsnow.com/item.aspx?itemid=385

Price of AVL Bluetooth is $105 but I can't reviews anywhere.
    "Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience."

"I like the Socket BT because it didn't come with a normal AC adapter, but the charger for the XV6600 and my old iPaq 555 work(ed) fine"

Are you saying that you can use the charger from the xv6600 to charge the GPS unit, instead of carrying another charger? That's cool!
    -Lee
    Samsung i730
    Ridata 1GB SD Card, Transcend 4GB SD card, PPC Tech Audio Adapter

Originally posted by lmychajluk
    "I like the Socket BT because it didn't come with a normal AC adapter, but the charger for the XV6600 and my old iPaq 555 work(ed) fine"

Are you saying that you can use the charger from the xv6600 to charge the GPS unit, instead of carrying another charger? That's cool!
    Yep!! There is a small diference in ma, so it takes a little longer to charge than using the actual car charger or the Socket AC adapter. The iPaq 5555 power block had the exact same voltage/milliamps!! No negative effects using either.

I also use the charger from my IPAQ 3955. It's the same power output. Even the cradle pins are very similar for both devices.

Apparently there's a new GPS unit on the way with a brand new chip. Release date seems to be in march so if you want to the latest and greatest and have some extra cash to unload...there you go.

I'll probably go with the $105 unit I mentioned above though. 16 satellites should be enough.

thanks for all the information!

I just purchased the i.trek and i.guidance combo from semsons.com. Seems like there was enough positive information from this thread and the other GPS thread to go ahead and purchase.

I did have one question. If I was driving through Dallas and ran into the heavy traffic that they have all day everday; would I be able to find an alternative route?

Also, what else will I need with that combo? I haven't purchase a SD card yet, but I imagine I will need a 1gb card for the maps.

Anything else? Thanks for all the information!