+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Phone resets when battery changed

You guys have been so helpful , I thought Id ask about another problem I have.

When I cange the battery with the spare I purchased, the phone is completely reset, forcing me through the initial setup again and reinstalling programs

I make sure the phone is off ( i think).. I hit the power button so I the screen isnt just dimmed, but completely off.

The extra battery I am putting in is fully charged.

I apologize wasting your time if this is a sophmorfic mistake, but as of know, I cant use my spare battery, defeating its purpose.

thanks for any help you can offer!!!

You may want to check your backup battery--if it's not charged, removing the main battery will cause a hard reset.
    Mick

You know, this is a real PITA issue. We shouldn't have to soft reset each time we change the battery, and if the backup is not 100%, hard reset. That doesn't make sense. If I am changing the battery, chances are my battery life is low, and possibly backup. But if I do an instant change, the backup shouldn't have to be at 100%.

I don't mind it soft reseting if I remove the battery if it's turned on (my i700 did that, and I liked it--easy way to soft reset), but doing it if it's off is a real pain.

Any ideas on why this happens? Any way to make it stop?
    Jeremiah 29:11

Ok this has occured again.

I made sure before changing the battery, that the current battery meter was at 100% NIMH back up battery. Main battery was at about 25%.

One issue could of been the status of the phone. I pushed the power button to turn it off, but it was instead a really dim screen (sleep mode I assume. I tried holding the button for 5 seconds, but either dark screen would remain in that state or it turn back on. How do you turn off this thing???).

I took off the battery and replaced it with spare batteryy fully charged. The phone started back up with the initial setup. (had to set timezone, go through copy/paste lesson, etc.

Someone please help me. The charger has a back spot for a spare battery to charge (that I use).. the Verizon person sold me a spare battery... I assume I should be able to do this.

thanks for your help.
    Last edited by Coraan; 02-18-2005 at 08:04 AM.

" but it was instead a really dim screen "

If you hold the power button, it only turns off the backlight. A quick tap should turn the power 'off' (it's never really off).
    -Lee
    Samsung i730
    Ridata 1GB SD Card, Transcend 4GB SD card, PPC Tech Audio Adapter

Administrator
    its your backup battery. if its not fully charged, it wont hold the data when a main battery is not attached.

if you are certain the backup battery has been charged for atleast 12 hours continously, you may have a faulty backup battery.

there could also be a program or file thats corrupting your database and causing this.. but thats not likely...

It will always soft reset when swapping out batteries. Annoyed me too.

Soft reset occurs in any Pocket PC with swappable battery...

Hard resets do not... however, if you accidently "bump", "push", or "nudge" the power button on this phone, while swapping, it will always HARD RESET!

So be careful...

Administrator
    yeah it will alwasys soft reset. i apologize if i didnt make that clear.

thats a good thing though. gremelins like to eat up resources in windowz environments and its always good to refresh the unit to flush 'em out...

hmm.. the nimh meter reads 100%.. but perhaps that is flase, as I dont recal if I let it initially charge 12 hours when I got it.

perhaps it is the fact the phone wasnt completely off.... I will try again.

Any way you look at it I think it is a crappy and tempermental backup battery. Buying a second battery does not do me any good because when the first battery runs low, and I want to swap batteries, the unit may hard reset in the process because the backup battery "maybe under 100%."

I don't know how many times I made sure the backup battery was at 100%; Several times at least. But the hard reset still happens once in a while. My unit is GSM, and so I must remove the main battery to swap SIM cards at will.

What if the phone is changed to "flight mode" before swapping the battery? Should draw less power.

Also, my old Kyocera 7135 would hard reset if I bounched the battery on the terminals while inserting it. It required a firm smooth determined touch to replace it, and I always had in flight mode to do the swap.
    Larry Ganz
    http://www.jesusreigns.org
    John 3:16

Administrator
    if you are taking only a few seconds to swap batteries and its still hard resetting , you may have bigger problems, such as your internal battery being faulty...

got my sprint cam version yesterday and its been on charge for about 9 hours. i just took the battery out for a minute anbd it did not hard reset.

either you have a program issue or your internal battery is not holding a charge...

Backup vs. 2nd Battery

Coraan,

There is a backup battery that is internal, this is not your 2nd battery. Go to Start | Settings | System | Battery. You will see an indicator for your "Main battery" and your "Backup battery." This backup battery must be at 100% to remove and replace your "Main battery" without a hard reset.

Hope this helps!

From what I read the internal battery is supposed to keep the data for 3 hours, not just a few minutes. I also don't recall that after the initial long charge charge it is supposed to remain at 100% to avoid hard resets. So, even if you lay the unit without the main battery for 10 or 15 minutes it should not hard reset.

Since I still have my PPC6601 I will try it today to see if the same thing happens on both phones. I did not notice this in the PPC6601 since I rarely had to remove the main battery. But it happened several times with the SX66 because I swapped SM cards.

my backup battery last time i reset was at 100%. I checked it beforehand.

I will try to experiment some (will have to reinstal.. again.. all programs when done).

At what point could I determine that this is something faulty with the phone, and thus need to return?

Take it to a PCS or VZN (whomever you subscribe to) store and have them see what's up. If they can't swap the batteries w/o a hard reset then have them swap the phone for a new one.

Administrator
    the internal battery, if fully charged, will only last ~15-20 minutes. the phone is NOT intended to run off the internal battery for any length of time.... its only there to retain data whilst you swap batteries.

NOW, if you leave a dead main battery attached to the phone, the phone will feed off the residual battery power in the main and also the internal battery will feed off the main as well. once the main is well below safe operating level, the circuitry in the batery will shut it down and the internal will take over.. so you can go about a day or so like this.. but do that only in emergency...

tonyh, maybe the SIMM swap caused a glitch...??

yeah just hard reset the phone, then do something small, like, change the today screen icons or something... then take the battery out. wait about one minute.. plenty of time to simulate a battery (diaper ) change, then put the batt back on and see what happens...

The manual says the backup battery is good for 20 minutes, and the main batttery is good for 72 hours to keep the data.

Here's my result:

PPC6601: charged backup battery only to 75% then removed main battery for 10 minutes. Replaced battery, and the unit did not hard reset, even though the backup battery shows 00%

SX66: Started with backup battery at 100%, removed main battery for 5 minutes. Did not hard reset, but backup battery shows only 25%. At that level, I removed the main battery, swapped out SIM cards and put the main batt back in. Still no hard reset, and the backup batt is now at 50%. So, it is charging from the main battery

NOTE: In both phones, the annoying backlight dimming occured when removing the battery and restarting. In both cases all I gotta do is go to settings>system>backlight...uncheck and recheck one of the boxes and the backlight is back to normal.

Coraan, I could've sworn I had a hard reset with 100% charge on the backup battery, but my experiement is making a liar out of me. I would experiment some more. The spec is 20 minutes for the backup batt to discharge. So, if casual battery swapping at 100% causes hard resets then the phone has a bad backup batt.

Unhappy Audiovox 6600 factory default issue

I have had my 6600 for about three weeks now and it has performed a hard reset twice while changing the battery. the backup battery shows plenty of charge at the time of the change.

Has anyone out there heard of this happening?