+ Reply to Thread

Push Email on XV600

I am considering replacing my Verizon Blackberry for one of these devices. Problem is, this device seems too good to be true.

I love the blackberry. I use an email site called "runbox". They offer POP access or will even "forward" a copy of any email that comes in.

Does this Device allow for "Push" email, like a blackberry. Or is there a way that Outlook can retrieve my messages every minute? I DO NOT want to have to "pull mail" the way I used too on my old Tungsten. My emails are time sensitive. Will this device work for me?

Also...how fast does an HTML page like CNN.COM or ESPN.COM or MARKETWATCH.COM load up. Is it as fast as my DSL in the office???

Thanks in advance!!!

Matt
    Matthew E Gluck

I finally got my push email working. There are actually 2 ways of doing this.

One of them is connecting to a MS Outlook server - which will require you to have a computer on at all times and the VZ PC monitor goes through your computer to punch through VPN, etc and check the email and pushes it to your system (I think - I didn't actually try this). Once again, your computer has to be on at all times and connected (which doesn't work for me since I carry my laptop with me).

The other method is if you are hitting a POP3 server - you can get wireless Synch to hit several POP3 at the same time but all the push emails go into the Inbox. When you do push email using POP3, you do NOT need to have your computer on. The server at VZ will do that automatically and your PPC will only wake up to receive when there are actually email being pushed. This conserve battery usage. That said there is NO WAY of controlling the frequency the VZW push email checks the pop3. I have had situation where the email lag time was 50 minutes and of course less when it's lucky.

BE VERY AWARE THE 1ST TIME YOU SYNCH - BE SURE TO PICK "MERGE" or you will lose all your contacts, and calendar. This is poorly documented.

That said, you can always bypass the "push" idea and set up your email to pull regularly to check every 1 - 60 mins ( your choice - but you can't go longer than 60 mins). Since I check 3 separate emails ... this basically killed my battery by mid-day as I had it checking every 15 mins.

So in conclusion what did I do? I set up my Corporate Mail via Pop3 as push (no computer needs to be on). In that way, anything urgent, my LED will flash red. I set up my hotmail (using HTTPmail) and personal email (pop3) regularly with no automatic pulling / checking and no pushing. In that way, my emails are controlled nicely in separate boxes. I simply manually check/synch mail each time I get on my hotmail and personal mail.

Lastly, CNN.COM in an EVDO environment takes about 60 second to load the entire page (full graphics). However you can start reading the majority of it about 10 seconds into it). Basically for EVDO connection, I am not aware of any other wireless connection faster (other than Richochet which is now defunct). In the 1X environment... it is almost unbearable to use. All in all, it's still the best overall solution out there. It's really nice to get attachment in word, excel, pdf, html, and open it up right away.

My guess is that Blackberry is still better for text email - considering that was the original design (just a guess since I never used Blackberry. Surfing on the web with blackberry is unbearable - I checked my friend's out), but if you compare everything else, there is nothing that can touch the XV6600 with Verizon. I even have a full TOM TOM GPS on my system when I travel. It is awesome. The system is still new so there are definitely some "Bleeding edge" issues that must be worked through such as Clear Notify and BlueTooth. Check out voice command too - basically I talk to my PPC to look up phone numbers and dial (about 95% accuracy on an 2000 contact database).

I have used PDAs for well over 10 years (starting with PSION days)... I literally have been waiting for this device for the last 3 years. I refuse to move into a technology that forces me to compromised in other areas. This is the 1st full featured PDA / Phone in my opinion that is acceptable for Corporate use (outside of the Blackberry). Be sure to order the extended battery from Lion battery - it's not available anywhere else currently (not even Verizon).

Hope this helps.

Thank you for the informative reply!!!

60 seconds to launch a full page with EVDO was longer than I thought. Also, my solution would be to have outlook check every minute. But from what you told me, it will kill my battery.

Not sure if this device will work for me!!!

THANKS AGAIN!!!
    Matthew E Gluck

Most of the problems loading media-included webpages on EVDO isn't due to the wireless speed, it's the processor. Think of running a 286 processor connected to cable internet...
    Jeremiah 29:11

Agree on the speed thing... basically, my PDA is loaded to the hilt. Slow due to numerious program running on my PDA.

One more thing... if you have to check every minute then XV6600 is not a solution. The PDA turns on automatically to check mail. Basically, your PDA will be on the whole time. You battery probably be out in 2 hours.

Originally posted by jackofalltrades
    One more thing... if you have to check every minute then XV6600 is not a solution. The PDA turns on automatically to check mail. Basically, your PDA will be on the whole time. You battery probably be out in 2 hours.
    I have tried this and mine lasted two hours; thankfully I caught it before the backup battery drained. There is no Blackberry type solution for the XV6600...which greatly disappoints me. Verizon's WirelessSync "Push" is a joke - it polls for updates every 15 minutes or so and pulls emails when it notices there are new ones. Basically, "Push" isn't push at all (should have known, this is Verizon afterall...)

While not my emails specifically, I do have time sensitive notifications and unfortunately SMS just isn't working out well. I might have to resort to a pager, of all things

gluck75,

If you don't think the xv6600 will work for you, you may want to hold out for the Samsung i730. According to the specs, it includes a Blackberry client, though I don't know exactly how it'll work.
    -Lee
    Samsung i730
    Ridata 1GB SD Card, Transcend 4GB SD card, PPC Tech Audio Adapter

I concur that the Pull type email is definitely a downer...
    That is the one advantage that the blackberry and similars have. I have been tracking my SMS "blackouts" with my PPC6601 for the last 2 months, and it would seem that they mainly only occur when I have used the Phone as a Modem that day...so I stopped using it as a modem.

Another work-around I have used, though limited to those with access to their own email server, was to automatically copy all emails to both of my sprint email accounts from my corporate email.

This way, if one phone doesn't get the SMS, usually the other one will. (also requires having a second phone...which I do, since Sprint doesn't allow simultaneous voice and data (yet)) but for me it has been worth the workaround, and I will wait for perhaps a better solution in the future.

Push email is certainly something we would all want in future phone options...if there are any Sprint reps out there!
    I can monitor my home and office CCTV surveillance systems through my PDA phone...can you?
    http://www.ez-toyz.com/page.asp?id=5

I've been using VZW WS since July with a Kyocera 7135, Treo 600, and now my VX6600. My experience is similar to jack's with small differences.

-- Pushes happened more often than every 15 minutes with the Treo 600 and now with the VX6600. They occurred whenever my Domino/Notes server received documents and the monitor updated the website -- 1 minute to whenever. The monitor updates the website almost instantly after my Domino server is changed. (Maybe it has something to do with me using Notes instead of Outlook, I don't know.) On my Kyocera 7135, I could schedule updates for a set time (Readysync) but that wasn't very reliable.

-- You might want to be careful about the MERGE. I depends on a lot of things. You can get duplicates if you have calendar entries on your handheld and on a corporate calendar, for example. Intellisync must see them as exactly the very same or you'll get two copies. I'd let the Monitor update the website first with corporate data. Afterward reviewing the website, I'd sync with the handheld and selectively use the MERGE option.

-- On my Treo 600, sendmail happened when a sync occurred because the website was updated manually or by the redirector. I could wait for that or force a sync session. It appears to work the same with the VX6600.

-- Also, I don't define any personal POP3 or IMAP mail on the website because it will update the website with the mail but also my coporate email box with that mail! I don't like having the latest Talbot's sale ads going to my company's mailbox.

-- I noticed with Pocket Outlook, you can define POP3 and IMAP services on the handheld and this gets the website out of the picture for those mailboxes. It is supposed to poll for new mail but it isn't very reliable. I'm trying out Webis instead.

-- The redirecting monitor can be a pain in the neck. I used to run a monitor on a old thinkpad in my house. It stayed up most of the time but occasionally the VPN to my company's network would come down. On my last business trip, I installed a new monitor on the thinkpad I carried with me. What good was that? If I had my laptop up and with me (I definitely didn't leave it in the hotel), I didn't really need my handheld!

I'm trying something different on my current business trip. I put an old thinkpad with the monitor in my locked office. There is a direct network connection so maybe it will stay up for the next 2 weeks. It is cool to review company mail between flights without having to power up a laptop. I could see what was waiting for me as soon as the plane touched down and we were taxi-ing to the gate.

-- However, the calendering isn't working as it should. New entries are coming to the handheld in my old timezone. The timezone set on the monitor and the website should stay the same and it is. Me and my VX6600 are constantly changing timezones, however.

I have an open problem with VZW on this issue. We should be able to keep a static monitor and travel without worrying about timezone issues.

-- The redirecting monitor can be a pain in the neck. I used to run a monitor on a old thinkpad in my house. It stayed up most of the time but occasionally the VPN to my company's network would come down. On my last business trip, I installed a new monitor on the thinkpad I carried with me. What good was that? If I had my laptop up and with me (I definitely didn't leave it in the hotel), I didn't really need my handheld!
    Don't know if this was in response to the post I made about the copying from the corporate server, but I guess I should have left more details.

The setup does not require a PC running (with the exception of your corporate servers).
    1. In Active Directory on the DNS server, create an email enabled Contact (not a User) This will add an email address (ie. ContactName@YourCorporation.com)
    2. Once the contact is created, enter Exchange Tasks, and add your phones email address (for sprint users: USERNAME@sprintpcs.com)
    3. Make the Sprint or VZ email account the Primary Account
    4. Open the properties for the USER account that you already previously had in active directory
    5. In Exchange Advanced Tasks, select Delivery Options
    6. Add the (ContactName@YourCorporation.com) email address and check the box to select delivery to both accounts.
    7. Now All emails that are sent your your Corporate User account will be forwarded to your Sprint or VZ wireless account automatically.

Though this sounds like an invasive procedure, it isn't a security or other threat, and is a basic task for a network admin to complete.

Now if you set up with Sprint or VZ to automatically notify via SMS when new emails come in, you will get notifications whenever your corporate account recieves new emails, and will be able to pick them up either by connecting via IMAP or POP3 to your regular corporate email account (the original account) or connecting to the Sprint or VZ email account and reading the emails that were copied there.

Don't get me wrong, this is certainly not a replacement for a Push email setup, but as long as the SMS is working, you'll at least know when you receive an email on your company account and can pick up the emails.
    I can monitor my home and office CCTV surveillance systems through my PDA phone...can you?
    http://www.ez-toyz.com/page.asp?id=5