+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Battery Life the truth

I have read this forum inside and out before I got this 6600.

Well gang someone failed to give the full scoop on a few items:

1. Battery life is dismal. Try 1 hour TT not the 2 hours stated)

2. Accesories... not to be found locally anywhere.

3. Recption is unbearable.

As of now the phone is usless regarding the battery life. This could have been improved if Verizon or Sprint had anything in the whole damn state of Georgia. I am having one FedEx to me tomoroow am.

The reception is terrible. As of today most of my in bound calls have gone straight to voicemail with no rings. Verizon first said it was due to the fact the phone was a true digital until they found out I came from the Samsung I600 (true digital). So now Verizon has concluded it must be a defective phone.

Man I want this phone to PDA/Phone to work but I get the feeling this is 99% PDA and only 1% Phone leaving me pretty high and dry.

I sure hope this gets better I do NOT want to scrap the whole idea.

Maybe you did get a bum unit?

1) Battery life isn't too bad, especially if you can stay in a digital area. The one time it crapped out real quick was when I spend the day working in my parent's basement, with basically no signal at all. But, everything I read here said it wasn't great to start, especially compared to a 'normal' cell phone. The Battery life was documented in the FAQ.

2) We all knew this from the start. Why would anyone sell accessories locally for a phone that you couldn't even get locally before a week or two ago, and still can't in many areas? Though I don't expect a wide variety, I'm sure there'll be some stuff available at least through local Verizon and Sprint stores soon. Again, the FAQ used to point out that VZW was the best source of accessories, but has been updated recently now that stuff is more readily available, especially online.

3) Reception for me is better than my old LG 4400, and I thought that was decent.

Sorry if you feel misinformed, but I've had my 6600 for about 6 weeks, and was well aware of these items by reading here before I got it.
    -Lee
    Samsung i730
    Ridata 1GB SD Card, Transcend 4GB SD card, PPC Tech Audio Adapter

I transitioned from the i600to the XV6600 too. In the DC region, the XV6600 reception is considerably better than my i600 was. Battery life is on par with the slim battery-equipped i600 hopefully the new extended life battery will be a big improvement.

Relative to reception, pay attention to the way the antenna is oriented. It's the oblong patch on the rear. If you cover that while holding the phone or if it's buried in a bag somewhere and you're using a BT headset, reception can be a pain. Since I've become conscious of it, nary a problem.

I agree about the accessories...haven't been able to find anything of quality locally. Every VZW store says they can order it...well, I can order it...and for cheaper. So that does me nada. But give it time. When I first got the Moto v710, it was the same story. I had purchased the BlueTooth headset from Mobile Planet about 1 month before VZW had them in store.

Battery life...no comment. Most of my calls are quick hits and I usually don't hold conference calls with it unless it's plugged in.
    Mobile Pimp: Fujitsu P7010D, Audiovox 6600, Playstation PSP, iGo Juice (70), Kingston 5gb PC-Card, SDIO Socket Wifi, Socket BlueTooth GPS, Socket CF BT Adapter, PNY 4 in 1 Memory Adapter.

g1000

If you want to know dismal reception, I currently have a G1000 in Georgia. I am sure that this phone has to be better as far as reception goes.

Can any previous owners of the G1000 contrast the reception to the 6601 or XV-6600?

racedog just got his extended battery (the 2000). He'll post results in a couple of days.
    Jeremiah 29:11

I'm a total loser and I've been banned!!!
    On a test trip into Atlanta 2 weeks ago, I used the 6600 moderately, both for phone and EVDO, and I was getting approx 6 hours use before I would have to make a beeline for a charger. In addition, on EVDO, the min speed I was getting was ~330kbps, with frequent bursts at 600+. Needless to say, I was very impressed.

My 6600 had HORRIBLE battery life. I could just sit it there on standby and watch the battery drain one percent at a time.

I got to looking in settings and I had the Beam properties set to "receive all incoming beams". I unchecked the box and my battery life is MUCH better. I found this in the > settings >system > power screen. Look at the bottom and click on the "beam" hyperlink in the "change beam settings to conserve power.

My most 'scientific' observation is, with this setting 'on' i would go to sleep with a 100% charge and 5 hours later the battery would be down to 68%. With this setting 'off' the battery is down to 93%.

I even called Verizon and complained before I found this setting, now I am happy with the battery life.

I agree. Taking some basic care to reduce non-essential power usage made a world of difference in my experience. My screen dims very quickly and I have the unit set to shut off (sleep) after 30 seconds of idle time. I do charge when the opportunity presents itself, but in no way do I run from outlet to outlet, charger in hand as I feared initially. I also carry a spare stock battery and have had to invade that power source only once in the past 6 weeks.

So far much better than I had expected.

Oh yeah, EVDO is the bomb when you are in a served city.

Bob Duckworth
    My cellphone is smarter than your honor student.

Thanks

Sorry for my ealier post I am just REAL FRUSTRATED!

Thanks for some of the suggestions. And you folks are right the EVDO is great

Thanks for tolerating my RANT!

Re: Thanks

Originally posted by earthdog

An occasional rant among friends is no big deal. We've all BTDT at one time or another. Let us know how it works out for you.

Bob Duckworth

Re: Thanks

No prob--we all get frustrated and rant now and then. I'm feeling a rant inside about how the 6600 soft resets every time you change the battery, and will hard reset if the backup battery isn't at 100%...
    Jeremiah 29:11

Re: Battery Life the truth

I have read this forum inside and out before I got this 6600.

Well gang someone failed to give the full scoop on a few items:

1. Battery life is dismal. Try 1 hour TT not the 2 hours stated)

2. Accesories... not to be found locally anywhere.

WOW, you must have a completely different telephone than I have, in Atlanta, GA.

I have the Verizon 6600 in GA and it is perfect. The battery life lasts me all day long and longer for my use.
    1) My talk time is longer than an hour. I don't know how long, but I have had conversations over and hour and still have plenty of juice left at the end of the day.

2) All the accessories that you need are available from Verizon. Cases are available all over. What accessories are you having trouble finding? Locally, maybe not, but 1-800-xxx and they will be there tomorrow.

3) Reception all over Atlanta, thoughout a lot of GA, travel to Houston, Tucson, Phoenix, D.C. has been excellent. I have not had a reception problem yet, anywhere. Are you talking about voice reception or data reception? Both are great, and the EVDO in Atlanta is AWESOME.

If you have the same phone and are in GA, you must have a lemon and I would return it for a better one before making such comments and giving up hope.

Originally posted by Big Calhoun
    Relative to reception, pay attention to the way the antenna is oriented. It's the oblong patch on the rear. If you cover that while holding the phone or if it's buried in a bag somewhere and you're using a BT headset, reception can be a pain. Since I've become conscious of it, nary a problem.

Are you sure that is the antenna? I thought that was covering the hole on the non-camera versions, that would normally house the camera on the camera versions. I didn't think this was the antenna at all.

Below is my experience with the normal battery ( as always YMMV):

My standard settings are: Lowest brightness (other than off), 30sec dim, 1 min off

Keep in mind, all numbers below are from 100% charge to about 20%.

Beam = off, Bluetooth = mostly off, EVDO connection = mostly off
    I get about 4-6 hours of light email checking (IMAP4) and 1-4 minute phone calls, plus a lot of voice mail checking (1-2 minutes/per check) depending on the day's volume.

Beam = off, Bluettoth = mostly off, EVDO connection = frequent
    I get about 3-4 hours of frequent email checks, light web use (5-10 min sessions) and the same voice load as above.

Beam = off, Bluetooth = frequent, EVDO connection = frequent
    That is when I use it as a laptop DUN, so I get 1:45-2 hrs of use, with light voice call volume.

I should be receiving the 2200mA Mugen in the next couple of days and I will see how big of a difference that makes on the above experiences.

Originally posted by GadgetLuvR
    Are you sure that is the antenna? I thought that was covering the hole on the non-camera versions, that would normally house the camera on the camera versions. I didn't think this was the antenna at all.
    I've seen a couple of articles on various sites mentioning that was the antenna and after having some initial reception problems, I played around by covering up. Sure enough, when it was fully covered by my hand or finger, the signal dropped dramatically. Since being mindful of it, hadn't had a single reception problem or dropped call.
    Mobile Pimp: Fujitsu P7010D, Audiovox 6600, Playstation PSP, iGo Juice (70), Kingston 5gb PC-Card, SDIO Socket Wifi, Socket BlueTooth GPS, Socket CF BT Adapter, PNY 4 in 1 Memory Adapter.

I'm in Atlanta, GA as well.....I have a spare battery for sale if any of you are interested.

I haven't had too many problems with my unit, aside from the known bluetooth issues (available on all HTC phones of this type!)

Definitely turn off "Accept all incoming beams"....that will drain the battery!

Where in Atlanta are you?

I'm going to chime in without reading the entire thread (sorry) and say I easily get two hours of talk time with bluetooth, email, sms, and moderate web browsing. All that puts my battery at around 35%.

PPC6600 ROM=1.36.00 Ext=1.36.113 MannieBothans's Avatar

Re: Battery Life the truth

The reception is terrible. As of today most of my in bound calls have gone straight to voicemail with no rings. Verizon first said it was due to the fact the phone was a true digital until they found out I came from the Samsung I600 (true digital). So now Verizon has concluded it must be a defective phone.

Man I want this phone to PDA/Phone to work but I get the feeling this is 99% PDA and only 1% Phone leaving me pretty high and dry.
    I do not own this phone, so take what I say with a grain of salt, but I have followed this forum very closely and have noted that many Sprint customers complain of "data connections occuring without provocation" and thus driving all incoming calls to voice mail. I have seen some Verizon users saying this, too, though not as many, since EVDO users seem to be able to do data and telephone at the same time. Is it possible that your data-using programs are causing this particular problem?

Re: Re: Battery Life the truth

Originally posted by MannieBothans
    I do not own this phone, so take what I say with a grain of salt, but I have followed this forum very closely and have noted that many Sprint customers complain of "data connections occuring without provocation" and thus driving all incoming calls to voice mail. I have seen some Verizon users saying this, too, though not as many, since EVDO users seem to be able to do data and telephone at the same time. Is it possible that your data-using programs are causing this particular problem?
    The one experience I had with the 6600 was I was fooling around with the VZ Wireless Sync app and accidently clicked something to initiate a syncing schedule. After that, I noticed I would walk away from my desk and come back, the PPC would be on and in the middle of a data session. There was some error message that came up and I eventually figured out that it was the app and went in and disabled everything...problem solved.

As I was writing this, I attempted to sign on to Skype and AIM when the data connection off...in both cases I get error messages that it can't connect/host not found and it did not try to activate a data session.