+ Reply to Thread

Weird memory problem

I have a lot of apps on my 6600, I'll admit. But last I looked I seemed to remember I had a decent amount of memory left. I'm working on my desktop and I notice the device was flashing that I was dangerously low on memory and I needed to free some up (allocate) or delete some programs.

Fine, I took this as a nudge to get rid of programs. I started transfering them onto my SD card. I deleted 4 fairly large games/programs. The memory level remained the same? Reset, same thing. Lost more apps, memory wouldn't budge. Said I had 3 mb left... then I notice that the 3megs was slowing turning into 2, then 1, then the warning again... like memory was being sucked away. Maybe it was the bluetooth, I don't know...

What concerns me is I cannot gain back any memory. I've lost most of my apps in a crazy frantic effort to gain memory back. Nothing... I'm sure it's hard reset time, but I'd like to know what's wrong so it doesn't happen again.

Also, how do you "allocate memory"? Everytime I go into memory and try to move the slider, my device freezes and I need to reset...

This is a drag. First big problem I've with this...

Help

Re: Weird memory problem

Originally posted by Swap
    I have a lot of apps on my 6600, I'll admit. But last I looked I seemed to remember I had a decent amount of memory left. I'm working on my desktop and I notice the device was flashing that I was dangerously low on memory and I needed to free some up (allocate) or delete some programs.

Fine, I took this as a nudge to get rid of programs. I started transfering them onto my SD card. I deleted 4 fairly large games/programs. The memory level remained the same? Reset, same thing. Lost more apps, memory wouldn't budge. Said I had 3 mb left... then I notice that the 3megs was slowing turning into 2, then 1, then the warning again... like memory was being sucked away. Maybe it was the bluetooth, I don't know...

What concerns me is I cannot gain back any memory. I've lost most of my apps in a crazy frantic effort to gain memory back. Nothing... I'm sure it's hard reset time, but I'd like to know what's wrong so it doesn't happen again.

Also, how do you "allocate memory"? Everytime I go into memory and try to move the slider, my device freezes and I need to reset...

This is a drag. First big problem I've with this...

Help
    Well, since you've reached this point, a hard reset may not be a huge loss. That will give you a fresh start. The "locking" when you move the memory slider is a clue. Lots of crap has somehow gotten written to RAM and now you probably need a HR to clean it up.

Also, there was a post a bit ago (weeks) about a software dou called checknotifications and clearnotify posted here I believe. The OS writes placekeeper entries to a given area regarding calendar appointments, missed calls, etc. and these pieces of software will remove them. I've added the zip files for your use.

Try them maybe even before you HR. Some reported that checknotifications reported >500-600 marker files on their device. That can certainly give your RAM the runs. They were able to clear them using the "CLEAR" function of this software.

Not my code, but they work and are worth loading.

Good Luck,

Bob Duckworth
    Attached Files
    Last edited by rduckwor1; 02-07-2005 at 07:39 PM.

Re: Re: Weird memory problem

Clearnotify.zip. The companion to the above.

Bob Duckworth
    Attached Files

Does clearnotify work with the check program. It doesn't load on its own... and there's a clear option on the check notify..

Also, there are about 16 that the program doesn't clear. Do I delete them? Or do I need them? Look like calender notifications... not sure what to do with them. I assume keep, because they are appts coming up...

Thanks so much, rduck... really apprecaite it. I'll let you know what happens...

Nah, didn't move the memory even though I had a boatload of cleared notifications...

drats...

Originally posted by Swap
    Does clearnotify work with the check program. It doesn't load on its own... and there's a clear option on the check notify..

Also, there are about 16 that the program doesn't clear. Do I delete them? Or do I need them? Look like calender notifications... not sure what to do with them. I assume keep, because they are appts coming up...

Thanks so much, rduck... really apprecaite it. I'll let you know what happens...
    Clear notify was supposed to be the program that clears these notification listing upon soft reset. I never checked to see if that worked. The clearnotifications will only clear those listings in RED. They are the inactive one that can be safely deleted. You will always have some remaining active notification listings. I typically have 13-16 remaining. Your amount may vary depending upon calendar entries, etc.

Sorry it didn't help with your memory allocation issue. Maybe its time to HR and rebuild. I did just that this evening as I dumbly tapped a registry backup I had stored on the handset and hosed my registry files.

Duh!!?? I will never learn.

Good Luck,

Bob Duckworth

I ran into this Interesting review of MemMaid program.

Does anybody have any experience with it? It looks like it might be the answer to Swap's problem. (Might help all of the rest of us, too.)
    AL in Jacksonville Beach, FL

I have memmaid. It's not helping this issue. I really think it's some kind of bug. I'm about to hard reset... wish me luck.

Swap:

Unless you have an old pre-illness B/U file, I would rebuild slowly from square one and see what gives. Good Luck.

Memmaid: I'm feeling pretty fearless since an HR last night and plenty of currents B/U files are available.

I grabbed this package and loaded it. After 10 minutes of playing around with it, I like it. Of course, that's not an in-depth review, but just a quick opinion. The advanced aspect of the cleaner and scan sections worked best for me. As for the Notification queue, I still like checknotifications posted above to remove the old and duplicate listings. YMMV. All-in-all, a neat little program.

Bob Duckworth
    My cellphone is smarter than your honor student.

I had a similar memory problem a few days ago, which I resolved with the help of Rescoe File Explorer. I drilled down each folder to see how much memory it was consuming, until I discovered that when I installed a beta "upgrade" of Webis, the Webis folder had expanded by well over 50 megs. After a complete un-install of Webis, including deleting the folder, and completely deleting it from the PC, I did a fresh install from scratch of the prior non-beta version. Sluggishness and lockups were gone, and everything has been working fine since then.
    Mick

UPDATE: Re-install did not solve the problem--the Webis mail data folder grows by at least 3 to 4 megs a day until doing a complete un-install and re-install.
    Last edited by MickCole; 02-14-2005 at 12:48 PM.