+ Reply to Thread
    PPC6600 ROM=1.36.00 Ext=1.36.113 MannieBothans's Avatar

Seeking Insight About Memory

Trying to post in the proper forum, I have initiated a query in http://www.smartphoneforums.com/foru...168#post298168 but this forum gets more traffic from individuals who might be able to answer my question.

I do not own a Blue Angel of any kind, and when I make a purchase it will be for my very first PDA ever! I ahve waited this long and can wait a bit longer before taking the plunge-- so I want to invest in something that can do what I really want it to do. They are saying April on a release date for the i730 anyway, so it might not be an incredibly long wait. I really love the built-in wifi option, so perhaps someone could answer a question I have about the possibilities of today's software with 64 versus 128 MB of built-in RAM.

I am trying to wrap my mind around what kind of difference this different allocation of memory will make in one's ability to run applications. I know Voice Command is a resource hog, but I think I could probably live without it if I had to.

The SCH-i730 will have 64MB of RAM and 128MB of flash RAM.
    The PPC-6600 will have 128MB of RAM and 64MB of ROM.

What programs can you NOT run with only 64MB RAM that you could run with 128? From what I have read on these boards-- I want to use anti-virus software, Pocket Informant, a good reader (MS or Adobe), Sprite Backup, Screenlock, GS Audio Player, Beta Player, Spb PocketPlus, Maybe IM+ or Verichat, a GMPsoft or other Bible, ADB WeatherPlus and maybe more.

Can anyone speak from personal experience about how much would (or would not) be possible with 128ROM and only 64RAM?

Well the first thing you need to understand is that these devices use RAM for BOTH storage AND running programs. The flash memory is typically reserved for permanent storage of the Operating System and sometimes they give you some of the extra space as additional storage as well. 64 meg of ram is probably fine if you plan on having a decently sized SD memory card for your storage needs and you make sure to install to the SD card when you install things. There are some programs out there that won't install anywhere but system memory though so bear that in mind. You probably won't run into a limitation of being able to run programs with 64 megs of ram, as long as you have your storage elsewhere. What's nice about having 128 or more is that you don't have to worry as much about that because even if you use 64 megs of your onboard you still have 64 available for running applications...
    Tom

A habit I developed with my first expandable (it had a CF slot) PDA was I would do test installations of software to memory cards to see what absolutely had to be installed on main memory and what could be installed on a memory card. Once I had that figured out, I separated it out like this:

Because I wanted to use the CF slot to go online, I stored most networking applications in main memory so I could access them while on-line. 'Optional' things like games, media players, and the like I stored on the memory card because I was less likely to use those while on-line. It's a strategy that has served me well for many years and can't say I've run into any memory issues.
    Mobile Pimp: Fujitsu P7010D, Audiovox 6600, Playstation PSP, iGo Juice (70), Kingston 5gb PC-Card, SDIO Socket Wifi, Socket BlueTooth GPS, Socket CF BT Adapter, PNY 4 in 1 Memory Adapter.

There was an article about why engineers may want to increase the amount of ROM (or flash RAM) rather than RAM, somewhere on this board. I think it was on the news page, so you may want to check that forum, or do a search on dwdod (I think he posted it). I apologize, but I don't remember the details of the post.
    Jeremiah 29:11

I used an Axim X50 with 128mg ROM and 64mg RAM and 520 hz processor for about a week before I sent it back, because the real world performance was actually worse than my ipaq 2215..
    I'm no engineer, but in my real world use, the PPC-6601 out-performs the 2215, which performed at least as well as the X50. IMHO, the reason is that as with PC's in general, there's no substitute for more RAM.
    Mick

Mick,

There are a number of reasons why you may or may not have experienced increased performance with one device or another.

However, in today's world of PDA's, and unlike a PC, more RAM will NOT increase run time performance. The confusion is this:

A typical PC running Windows will create "pages" of volatile memory, or RAM. Basically, these are chunks of memory used to store a program you are trying to use in active memory. The whole point of RAM on a PC is to provide somewhere for the CPU to do its work, in a timely fashion. So, typically when you double click to start a program, the CPU moves as much of the program it can into RAM, from the hard drive. If you have enough RAM, the whole program will load and result in very fast execution. If you don't have enough, Windows will only load part of the program and "swap" pages of memory in and out of RAM. Since swapping involves the hard drive, this process can be really slow, yielding an unresponsive PC.

A mobile device like ours has no hard drive. The access time is the same across all of the RAM. So, increased performance is not an advantage of more RAM on a pocket PC, unlike our desktops. (caveat: since the CPU needs to copy from "Storage RAM" to "Program Ram" there is an almost unnoticeable load time the first time you run an app. However, once loaded, more RAM will not increase the responsiveness of that app. This is a very small, but critical detail in understanding PPC RAM.)

Where more memory is going to help you is in how many programs you can have concurrently running on your mobile device. Again, a PC will "swap" memory in and out for you (at the expense of speed), while a pocket PC will simply tell you you are out of memory and need to "unload" some of the applications.

Most of us use programs that actually unload the app once we are done with it (tap the X) rather than leaving it running in the background, in "Program Memory". I use such an app (Pocket Plus) and have never run into the out of memory error.

Hope that helps, and sorry to those a bit more educated... I realize this is an oversimplification (I'm a computer engineer but the point here is not to overwhelm with detail.
    Last edited by JasonWilliam; 02-08-2005 at 07:14 PM.

PPC6600 ROM=1.36.00 Ext=1.36.113 MannieBothans's Avatar
    This is all incredibly helpful information. I really appreciate each of you who have taken the time to help clear my muddled thinking. It is difficult to jump into convergence from the stone ages, so I really appreciate the hand-holding.

Thanks!
    Just switched from PPC6700 to AT&T Tilt.

Question Coming from G1000: What software CANNOT be on memory card?

Specifically, my 2000 outlook contacts? My Biz Connection Software? I know this has a lot more memory that the G1000, but I always seem to be able to "fill up" resident memory, so, want as much as possible on the card....

jeff...