+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Data connection on XV6000...missed calls?

If you have a data connection established on the Treo 600 (checking email, surfing web), all my voice calls go straight to Voicemail....is this the same on the XV6000...would ED-VO make any differences. Be nice to be able to do both @ the same time.

When my 6600 is in data mode and somebody calls the data mode will suspend itself and the phone will ring. Same thing when I make an outgoing call. When the conversation is complete the data mode will reinstate itself. I love this feature. You can leave data on all the time and not miss a call. The only negative is that it sucks the battery a little quicker.

I'm waiting for the Samsung i730, hope it works the same way.
    This is really a must have feature, if you're gonna be using a data connection alot.

PPC6600 ROM=1.36.00 Ext=1.36.113 MannieBothans's Avatar

Question EVDO question and Sprint question

Is this only true when using EVDO, or does it do that for 1xrtt connections as well?

I also thought I read somewhere that this is not the case with the PPC-6601, that incoming calls get tanked to voicemail when data is up. Is this actually true?

Originally posted by bartlane
    When my 6600 is in data mode and somebody calls the data mode will suspend itself and the phone will ring. Same thing when I make an outgoing call. When the conversation is complete the data mode will reinstate itself.

Re: EVDO question and Sprint question

Originally posted by MannieBothans
    Is this only true when using EVDO, or does it do that for 1xrtt connections as well?

I also thought I read somewhere that this is not the case with the PPC-6601, that incoming calls get tanked to voicemail when data is up. Is this actually true?
    I do not have EVDO in my area so I can't comment on that. Just connect and give yourself a call from another line, it's easy to test.

As I recall, when traveling in EVDO areas, calls ring thru the EVDO session rather than go to VM.

Bob Duckworth

This is true of SprintPCS. If you have data up (and its actively transferring information), your call will get tanked to voicemail.

You will get notified of the call when data stops transfering.

btf

Re: Re: EVDO question and Sprint question

Originally posted by bfaber
    This is true of SprintPCS. If you have data up (and its actively transferring information), your call will get tanked to voicemail.

You will get notified of the call when data stops transfering.

btf
    Well, potentially that might have been what happened to me in EVDO areas. I didn't test it myself, just recall getting a call or two while surfing the web. May have been that the data transfer was dormant. Hard to tell on the VX sometimes esp. in an EVDO area. The transfer is very fast and the data may shut down as soon as the page is loaded.

We'll know soon enough. Someone is an EVDO area will call themselves while data is up and tell us.

Bob Duckworth

Happily Converged
    I don't have EVDO, but receive calls when connected to 1X most of the time. There are some occasions -perhaps while the connections is being established- that calls don't come in.

If your connection is EVDO, you will likely get calls come in. On 1x, the line is "busy" and incoming calls are shunted, if the session is active.
    Anything I say is mine. It is neither authorized nor endorsed by my employers or previous employers. Read at your own risk.

Same results here with 1X - calls go straight to VM if you are even thinking about making a data connection - It's a major issue for us.

This issue was discussed to a great extent on TreoCentral forum. Basically, both GSM and CDMA act the same way when a call comes in while data connection is on, with a slight twist to GSM. There are two scenarios:

1. Data session is active (transmitting, receiving) calls will go to voicemail

2. Data session dormant (in between data fetches) calls will ring your phone and get through.

The percentage of calls coming through is higher on GSM GPRS because it has frequent rerfresh cycles, where the data connection is released momentarily and reconnected.

With Verizon and the XV6600, EV data isn't even interrupted by an incoming call. I have been on speaker phone talking with a client and simultaneously looking up directions on the web for them. The indicator switches to 1 X RTT during the voice call, but I didn't notice any appreciable slow down in data transfer rate (didn't actually measure).

In 1 x RTT areas, the data connection is interrupted by the call, but the call comes through - without fail. This has happened to me over 30 times since I've started using the XV6600.

Originally posted by Kupe
    With Verizon and the XV6600, EV data isn't even interrupted by an incoming call. I have been on speaker phone talking with a client and simultaneously looking up directions on the web for them. The indicator switches to 1 X RTT during the voice call, but I didn't notice any appreciable slow down in data transfer rate (didn't actually measure).

In 1 x RTT areas, the data connection is interrupted by the call, but the call comes through - without fail. This has happened to me over 30 times since I've started using the XV6600.
    I can echo this in EVDO areas. Don't recall my 1xRTT experiences though I don't ever recall leaving a data session to find VM waiting. I'm using VZW. With SPCS, the 1xRTT session shunted calls to VM on both the T600 and the PPC-6601.

Bob Duckworth

Angry While on data, surely I can recieve phone calls???

Finally got my 6601 working as a PHONE, now that BOD appears to be gone and came upon this issue...

Question is, if my device happens to be on vision like doing a routine check of email, should a incoming phone call still come though? I realize its going to cut my data connection, but it seems like its just going to voice mail if I'm in data and I never knew I got a call. The incoming phone call should take priority over a data connection, correct? Otherwise I'm going to end up missing half my phone calls....

Does this happen to anyone else, am I doing something wrong?

Isaac

I'm a total loser and I've been banned!!!
    That is the way it works with 1xRTT.

Sorry.

E

You cannot, it's been documented, there are many threads on it, and please don't call me Shirley.

(How'd I do Ehud?)

*clap*

Thanks guys...that begs me to say how can you have one converged device if your missing calls? What a disapointment