+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Extended 2200 Battery - Pop-OUT Problem!

We ordered and received 3 of the 2200 batteries.

Battery Life - same results others are getting - longer life but longer charging.

Potential Problem -

The battery does not fit as "FLUSH" as the OEM battery - when you clip it into the phone it appears to sit ok - but after time the clip at the bottom of the 6600 pop's out and the battery falls out. The battery is larger in size than the stock battery. We are finding that the batteries can fall off in normal use - and have come off in the cradle. I have 5 6600's - and 3 of the 2200 batteries and our results are the same across the board. First issue was reported by one of our users - I then tested with the battery on my 6600 and first time I put it into the cradle the battery fell off. I have been testing since and the battery is staying on. I'm able to put the 2200 battery on the 6600 and bump it around and the battery is staying on--- so not sure if the clip on the 6600 was not fully engaged or... I will continue to test.

Has anyone else had the battery pop off? ---

In any event during testing I found that the push clip at the bottom of the 6600 when pushed out ( like you would do to remove the battery) re-sets the phone. Even if you keep pressure on the battery - the moment you push the switch down the phone re-sets. Also found that even with external AC power the switch turns re-sets the phone.

If you have the 6600 and the 2200 battery I'd be interested in hearing about your usage. Perhaps you are using a case that holds the battery on the phone etc..

Note - we are using the HP slip case - Very similar to the Treo Slip case.
    Last edited by bobjamision; 02-09-2005 at 02:25 PM.

Would it be possible to place a thin foam-type pad under the battery to hold it tightly against the locking key?

I don't have one yet, but would be very interested in a solution to this issue obviously before I buy one.

Thanks,

Bob Duckworth
    My cellphone is smarter than your honor student.

I haven't had the battery come off, but then again, I keep the pda2k in an EB Slipper case and the only time it comes out is for a battery recharge.

You're right about the reset though, if I just pop out the battery lock button and don't remove the battery it still causes a soft reset. I suspect that may also happen with the orginal battery (except those don't seem to have a falling out problem.

R

I take mine out of my Krussel Flip Case when I dock/undock it several times per day. After 3 days with the battery I haven't run into this phenomenon. I also feel like the HTC battery clip is kind of cheezy - it's not springloaded to lock - easy to think it's locked when it's only partially locked regardless of battery type. That may be the problem you're seeing.

I fully agree with Kupe. The original lock, even on the standard battery is flimsy and does not give you the fully snap-lock feeling. On several occasions I did not fully lock it and the battery fell out into my lap (not on the hard floor, thankfully).

No problems here so far. It seems YMMV.
    "Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience."

I haven't had any problems with the battery "popping" out as you describe....

As we continue to test - It appears that it may in fact be the lock on the phone not fully engaging. I find that with the OEM battery you can hear it click -- but with the 2200 battery you don't hear the click but the slider appears to be engaged. My main 6600 decided to jump out of my hand today and when it landed on the floor the 2200 battery fell off - guess this is understood.

-----EDIT------
    Ha - right after I posted this I took my 6600 out of the cradle and was trying to figure out why the screen was blank... when the 2200 battery fell off again. I'm going to try it on another new 6600 I have here to see if it does the same thing. Don't konw which is worse - the OEM terrible battery life or the "JUMPING" battery.
    Last edited by bobjamision; 02-10-2005 at 01:39 PM.

Originally posted by bobjamision
    As we continue to test - It appears that it may in fact be the lock on the phone not fully engaging. I find that with the OEM battery you can hear it click -- but with the 2200 battery you don't hear the click but the slider appears to be engaged. My main 6600 decided to jump out of my hand today and when it landed on the floor the 2200 battery fell off - guess this is understood.
    I dropped my pda2k out of my hand and onto a hard driveway a couple months back and the standard battery did not come out, even though the unit got a decent sized dink and scratches in the left corner so I think the battery coming out would be an issue of the extended battery only.

Also, recharging the battery again and this time it took a lot less time even though it was lower than the first time I charged it so the charging time may be an issue only the first time it gets charged.

R

I had my extended battery actually fall off for the first time today. Even when locked in, it seems slightly loose.
    "Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience."

My latch makes a distinct click when locking the extended battery on to the phone (just like with the the original battery). I wonder what the differences might be?

Originally posted by Kupe
    My latch makes a distinct click when locking the extended battery on to the phone (just like with the the original battery). I wonder what the differences might be?
    Mine also does not make the latching sound. Like you, I'm wondering what and where the difference is and what it means in terms of the locking security of the battery in the device.

R

mine seemed to lock fine, but I kept getting random hard resets that I blamed on voice command. I swapped to the std battery wednesday pm, and no more hard resets (restoring a 70mb backup 4x a day is a PITA)
    Larry Ganz
    http://www.jesusreigns.org
    John 3:16

I've had the exact same experience, Larry. My extended battery shows 99% charge, but yet it randomly hard resets my phone. I have a colleague that ordered the battery at the same time, and he reports no problems at all. No way I can keep this battery on my phone. I'm going to have just get an extra standard battery, I think.

Can you switch batteries with you're co-worker to determine if it's a minor difference in the design of the battery or the phone that's causing it to come loose?
    -Lee
    Samsung i730
    Ridata 1GB SD Card, Transcend 4GB SD card, PPC Tech Audio Adapter

I'm only on day 3 of the extended battery but I have used it quite a bit and I haven't experienced any hard resets. How long have you had the battery?

R

i heard the problem is with the cingular's version. can anybody confirm if it also happens with the sprint ppc-660x?

Can you switch batteries with you're co-worker to determine if it's a minor difference in the design of the battery or the phone that's causing it to come loose?
    Unfortunately, he's about 600 miles away, so trying out his battery is not practical. The next time we're on a job together (and I feel like restoring my phone from a backup I may give it a shot. -Jay

Has anyone contacted the vendor about the problem? I had been thinking about ordering of these, but will hold off until I find out the vendor is responding. It sounds like at least some of the batteries being shipped simply don't fit properly. I encountered the same sort of problem with my Jornada 568. After a while the OEM extended battery loosened up enough that it would cause an occasional hard reset during normal use. I was able to resolve the problem by putting a folded business card under the battery to take up the slack, but would prefer not to repeat the experience with the 6601.
    Also, is this only a problme with the Verizon version, or is it affecting the Sprint version also?
    Mick

I sent an email to Lion Battery this morning and received a quick response stating that they would pass my concerns along to the manufacturer and get back to me. I'll let you all know when I hear something further.