+ Reply to Thread

How does VZW assign IP address for data service?

Anyone know how VZW (or any of the wireless companies for that matter) assign IP addresses for the data service?

Is it static and tied to your MAC address?

Does it change via DHCP every time you turn off your phone and turn it back on or go in and out of range?

Does switching from 1xRTT to EVDO and back instigate a change?

If you are in range, but driving from tower to tower, does it change?

Any info would be appreciated.

I'm a total loser and I've been banned!!!
    It is dynamic, changed by DHCP every time you go into a new area.

I don't know if it switches from 1xRTT to EVDO.

Tower to tower does not change *with the exception* that if you move "areas" then it does, since each area has its own Internet connection, address range, and allocation.

For example, pretty much anywhere in Tucson I can go around and keep my address. As I drive to Phoenix at some points the address will change ... and eventually in Phoenix I will have a completely different address that's good pretty much throughout Phoenix.

Ehud

Depends on what subnet your signal is on. I have no idea how Verizon has their network subnetted. I can't even make an educated guess and I'm in telecom. I'd like to work for Verizon in the wireless data networking group some day...

As previously stated, it is dynamically assigned. I setup a little page sometime ago to allow you to see your IP address (and other info).

http://www.baysailor.com/pdainfo/

I have loaded a small web server on my phone and it is accessible even when the display is off and the data connection is dormant. When dormant, the first access has fairly high latency (as would be expected). You can also just mess with pinging your phone when it is in different states.

I would love to find a dynamic dns client for our phones.

I also have a Sierra Wireless 555 card and often have it connected in the car when travelling. I have stayed connected on trips over a hundred miles in length and kept the same IP the whole time. The way I know I keep the same IP is that I connect to our office VPN and would drop this connection if the IP address changed. Of course my area of travel could be considered "all one Verizon area".

Regards,
    Brian

Your assigned phone number keeps that "active"...
    Funny it worked.....the last time! Now I am not sure what was working before they put a hole in my head !

Originally posted by baysailor
    The way I know I keep the same IP is that I connect to our office VPN and would drop this connection if the IP address changed. Of course my area of travel could be considered "all one Verizon area".

Regards,
    Brian
    Do you have your VPN terminator configured to one specific address, or a subnet of addresses? Most all wireless carriers use the 70.0.0.0/8 address space. Verizon seems to have a few class C blocks in that address that they hand out. You might have kept the same class C block, and not the exact same IP address.

Again, not sure how it works exactly (and too lazy to investigate it any further :p)

I'm a total loser and I've been banned!!!
    I have never been assigned an address from that address space...

My current assignment: 69.82.27.xx

Doing a quick
    grep imapd messages | grep stunnel | awk '{print $9}' | awk -F\: '{print $1}' | sort -u

shows 68.32.212..., 69.82..., 69.78.many.

I'm guessing the Tucson/Phoenix allocations come out of the 69.78 net.

E