+ Reply to Thread

Wireless GPS Solution

Has anyone created an external GPS solution? If they have please let me know who makes one. If not here are my specifications.
    With Bluetooth it should be possible to mount a GPS antenna on the exterior of the car, which should greatly improve reception. The ideal solution for me would be a stylish, weather proof solar\rechargeable battery Bluetooth antenna. The rechargeable batteries should be standard AA NiMH batteries replaceable if necessary but regularly charged by the sun. It would offer several mounting options. For portability it could have a bracket that locked into the trunk so it could not be removed unless the trunk was open or a more permanent solution that attached to roof, truck, hood or windshield.

There are some threads here with various solutions. Another resource is HTTP://gpspassion.com
    Mobile Pimp: Fujitsu P7010D, Audiovox 6600, Playstation PSP, iGo Juice (70), Kingston 5gb PC-Card, SDIO Socket Wifi, Socket BlueTooth GPS, Socket CF BT Adapter, PNY 4 in 1 Memory Adapter.

I have the Pharos bluetooth gps, it is quite amazing, highly recommended.
    iPhone 3GS !!

Pharos mounts inside the car right? It just seems that a GPS antenna mounted to the outside of the car would get a better signal than inside the car especially in NYC. This seems like it would be possible with bluetooth. Being on the exterior of the car solar power could help to keep the unit charged.

you get sunlight in NYC? you street-park in NYC? LOL

ps - it wasn't meant as a jab, i've lived in NY almost all my life, and man nothing blocks the sun like a canyon of 50 story towers

most of the wireless systems i've seen are portable and made to mount inside the car. they come with lighter plugs to keep them charged. even wired units seem to mount the antenna inside the car on the dash. i've seen a few external antennas but they seem to look like permanent mounts and not wireless or bluetooth. the other gps sites can probably provide more info.

Originally posted by BaldyTheEagle
    ps - it wasn't meant as a jab, i've lived in NY almost all my life, and man nothing blocks the sun like a canyon of 50 story towers
    Bah, who needs sunlight! But, the 5-story WWII-era buildings in my old neighborhood in Queens would do a great job of blocking cell reception at street level, though!
    -Lee
    Samsung i730
    Ridata 1GB SD Card, Transcend 4GB SD card, PPC Tech Audio Adapter

It just seemed easy enough to make an exterior GPS antenna with Bluetooth and being outside solar power seems like an obvious power source to supplement\recharge batteries.
    Nobody else seems to think an external antenna is a good idea. Maybe that is why no one has marketed one yet?

Well, it's not solar-powered, but the Garmin GPS10 is magnetic and waterproof, so it can be attached to the roof.

Edit - has anyone tried the Garmin Que software? I currently have a StreetPilot III Garmin GPS that I'm very pleased with, and would buy another Garmin in a heartbeat if the software is decent. I'd be more intrested in routing / re-routing moreso than POI functionality.
    Last edited by lmychajluk; 02-16-2005 at 09:38 AM.
    -Lee
    Samsung i730

Garmin GPS10

I have had the GPS10 for the last week and it rocks. I had the IQUE3600 before the xv6600 and the GPS10 deluxe is everybit as good if not better than the 3600. Just found out something cool about the Garmin Gps10, You can select one of your entries from your address book and the garmin software will locate that address and route to it if you choose.
    Last edited by eckemner; 02-16-2005 at 10:42 AM.
    XV6600
    Garmin GPS 10
    Sandisk 2GB SD
    Metal Deluxe Case

Originally posted by Sundevil
    It just seemed easy enough to make an exterior GPS antenna with Bluetooth and being outside solar power seems like an obvious power source to supplement\recharge batteries.
    Nobody else seems to think an external antenna is a good idea. Maybe that is why no one has marketed one yet?
    dude, all that stuff sitting on the roof of your car is gonna get jacked. that's all i can say.

30-year resident of jackson heights, queens and hells kitchen, manhattan

Re: Garmin GPS10

Originally posted by eckemner
    Just found out something cool about the Garmin Gps10, You can select one of your entries from your address book and the garmin software will locate that address and route to it if you choose.
    I still have my Garmin iQue3600, and it does navigate to and from contacts. Since I have the car mount kit for the iQue, and I also have a Lowrance iWay500C (great all-in-one), I decided to hold off on getting a GPS for the PPC phone.

Re: Re: Garmin GPS10

Originally posted by TonyH
    I still have my Garmin iQue3600, and it does navigate to and from contacts. Since I have the car mount kit for the iQue, and I also have a Lowrance iWay500C (great all-in-one), I decided to hold off on getting a GPS for the PPC phone.
    True but I was never able to sync my addresses on my 3600 with outlook. I always had to use Palm desktop which I hated.
    XV6600
    Garmin GPS 10
    Sandisk 2GB SD
    Metal Deluxe Case

Re: Garmin GPS10

Originally posted by eckemner
    I have had the GPS10 for the last week and it rocks. I had the IQUE3600 before the xv6600 and the GPS10 deluxe is everybit as good if not better than the 3600. Just found out something cool about the Garmin Gps10, You can select one of your entries from your address book and the garmin software will locate that address and route to it if you choose.
    Done. then - the GPS10 it is!

Actually, before getting any new BT devices, I will wait for a better BT stack. Hopefully, a stable, working BT stack that you don't have to jump through hoops to turn on/off is in that Audiovox patch that was just posted!

Edit - The contact lookup is a function of the software, not the GPS unit, right? Also, is there a 3/4 view while routing, or just a straight overhead view?
    -Lee
    Samsung i730

Re: Re: Garmin GPS10

Originally posted by lmychajluk
    Done. then - the GPS10 it is!

Actually, before getting any new BT devices, I will wait for a better BT stack. Hopefully, a stable, working BT stack that you don't have to jump through hoops to turn on/off is in that Audiovox patch that was just posted!

Edit - The contact lookup is a function of the software, not the GPS unit, right? Also, is there a 3/4 view while routing, or just a straight overhead view?
    What new patch? Did Audiovox finally release one?
    XV6600
    Garmin GPS 10
    Sandisk 2GB SD
    Metal Deluxe Case

Yep, check the other thread - Upgrade for XV6600 on Audiovox site!!!
    -Lee
    Samsung i730

I just loaded the new software from Audiovox in my unit before I left for home and they did for sure make a blue tooth fix. Before on my 26 mile drive to work the Garmin GPS 10 blue tooth module would disconnect at least 3 times on my way to work and this would cause the software to freeze and then if I waited 10 minutes they would automatically reconnect. After I made the update the GPS unit worked 100% perfect all the way home and this has never happened in the 5 days I have used the gaps 10 unit. I am very please now!!
    XV6600
    Garmin GPS 10
    Sandisk 2GB SD
    Metal Deluxe Case