+ Reply to Thread

Question XV6600 vs. iPaq h6315

Need some help from you pros out there...
    I am a current Verizon customer and very satisfied with the service.
    I have an iPaq 5555 that I love but seems to be extremely fragile. It is at HP repair for the second time. I know they are going to tell me it is going to cost me $300 to replace the main board, because that is what they said the first time.
    Anyway...
    I am considering buying a PDA phone. I would like to stay with Verizon and go with the XV6600 but I am still in contract and it is going to cost me $669!!!
    T-Mobile sells the iPaq 6315 and it is a heck of a lot cheaper.

Anyone like one over the other???

I'm a total loser and I've been banned!!!
    The HP 6315 has GSM.
    The XV6600 has CDMA.
    Advantage, sound quality: XV6600

The HP6315 has GPRS
    The XV6600 has 1xRTT and EVDO
    Advantage, data speed: XV6600

The HP6315 has wifi
    Advantage, features: HP6315

The HP6315 comes with T-Mobile
    The XV6600 comes with Verizon
    Advantage, customer service, good service, wide area coverage: Verizon

The HP6315 is cheaper, and so is T-Mobile.

You get what you pay for.

E

edit: wifi was a 6315 adv
    Last edited by Ehud; 02-11-2005 at 12:35 PM.

Originally posted by Ehud
    The HP6315 has wifi
    Advantage, features: XV6600
    Don't think so... WiFi happens to be a big plus for many of us. What other "features" are you referring to that make the XV6600 a better device and have the "advantage?"
    John

I had the 6315 before a PDA2k and now the XV6600 and I have to say there is no comparison. In my opinion the 6315 is a complete piece of junk. It was very slow, crashy, had lousy reception etc.. etc. Its only redeeming quality was good battery life.

On paper they look close feature wise, especially compared to the PDA2K, but in reality there was no comparison for me. I struggled with the 6315 for weeks and could never use it effectively. I switched to the PDA2K and its hard to believe these things are even remotely related with a similar OS or features.

I'm a total loser and I've been banned!!!
    Originally posted by jpmihalk
    Don't think so... WiFi happens to be a big plus for many of us. What other "features" are you referring to that make the XV6600 a better device and have the "advantage?"
    Brain Fade - I meant to make that a 6315 advantage. Edited.

E

... WiFi happens to be a big plus for many of us....
    FYI - The WiFi reception on my 6315 was so bad that I pretty much had to be standing next to the access point to get connected at all. I found it virtually useless.

The PDA2K on the other hand had decent reception, but it did really eat the battery when using WiFi.

edit .. I should add that I thought that the phone and WiFi reception on my 6315 was so bad that I must have had a bad device, so I exchanged it and had the same results.
    Last edited by willp2; 02-11-2005 at 12:46 PM.

Originally posted by willp2
    FYI - The WiFi reception on my 6315 was so bad that I pretty much had to be standing next to the access point to get connected at all. I found it virtually useless.

The PDA2K on the other hand had decent reception, but it did really eat the battery when using WiFi.

edit .. I should add that I thought that the phone and WiFi reception on my 6315 was so bad that I must have had a bad device, so I exchanged it and had the same results.
    I don't disagree that the h6315 is a disappointment. But it does have some capabilities that the XV6600 doesn't have.

And since we don't have EVDO (and won't anytime soon) WiFi is the logical chocie for those of us who work in wireless settings.

For the record, my h6315 (one of the first - before they were even being sold online!) has worked flawlessly on WiFi networks. And the speaker on the h6315 is actually louder than the PDA2k. Unfortunately, the h6315 is just too inconsistent to use as a corporate device.
    John

....For the record, my h6315 (one of the first - before they were even being sold online!) has worked flawlessly on WiFi networks. And the speaker on the h6315 is actually louder than the PDA2k. Unfortunately, the h6315 is just too inconsistent to use as a corporate device.
    I am glad that the 6315 is working out for you. For me I need a device that I can count on as a reliable and usable phone and PDA and almost as a laptop. So personally I'd go a bit farther than saying its "too inconsistant to be used as a corporate device".

I'd say its too inconsistant for anyone who actually needs the thing to work as advertised, most of the time. It would be a fun toy or a nice little web browser, but if your business requires reliable communication, I'd at least have a cell phone as well.

Use wi-fi with laptop and have home network, so why need it on phone? Verizon has best coverage in USA & I travel extensively, mostly where there is no wi-fi. With XV6600 I can use as modem and connect to my company network anywhere Verizon has service.
    Have found that even with only 1X connection, XV6600 connection speed has been respectable.

My friends at HP don't even carry that phone. TMo sucks, which is why they have to basically give away the number of minutes they do.

200Mhz processor with 64M of RAM, come on HP, get with it. It is SLLLOOOOWWWW and does crash often. You could overclock it, but that makes it even more unstable.

The 6600 has a 400Mhz chip, is very fast and with 128M of RAM it is THE BEST PPC phone available. I have been getting great EVDO VZW speeds in all of Southern Cal and just got back from Phoenix where I used it as a USB modem and was clocking about 500k.

xv6600 vs hp h6315, Help!

I have the h6315 for roughly 6 months now and have been vary displeased with the device. It crashes 1 out of 10 times you operate it. The phone is a poor excuse of a phone, and the biggest problem I have is how slow it is. So before I spend the cash on a xv6600 I would like to know that it is an upgrade to the h6315. I would like to hear from someone that has had experience with them both and could give me a heads up. Im also considering the Treo 650 so anyone with experience witht eh palm Treo's please chime in.

Thanks

Did you update your ROM?

http://www.t-mobile.com/hpupdate/

If you are looking for the perfect converged device, its not out yet. If you believe that the i730 will solve all your woes I have a bridge in Brooklyn I'm letting go for cheap.

The 6600 and Treo 650 are good devices but I am not sure you will be pleased with those either. Both crash, (Depending on usage and software).

The 6315 is a fine device, I have several co-workers using it who like it. The 650 is also a good device, I have used it and two other co-workers are using it. Again, if you are looking for something way better than the 6315, these devices aren't it.
    AT&T Jailbroken Iphone 3G 2.2

My Bluetooth is built in!
    the vx6600/ppc-6600 and Treo 650 are way better than the h6315. The i730 will be better still.

The fact that these devces will have problems of their own doesnt change the fact that the h6315 is a poor choice.

6315 positives:
    -battery life
    -built in wifi

6315 negatives:
    -unstable. So much so that T-Mobile briefly stopped selling it.
    -poor wifi range.
    -detachable keyboard that is uncomfortable and slow to use. also not backlit.
    -WM2003first edition (no built in landscape support)
    -extremely underpowered processor (this why it has such good battery life)
    -64 mb ram

If we were to do such a comparison for the 6600s or the treo we would not have a list of negatives that far outweighs the positive.
    PPC-6700, Treo 700wx, Samsung IP-i830w, Motorola i580, LG Fusic. Mix well, add accessories, consume.

Too bad Activesynv 4 doesn't support WiFi anymore lol. Hope they do change that tho for those of you that do have WiFi.