+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Microsoft Voice Command (Beware)

Okay,

Several of us have suspected that Microsoft Voice Command 1.5 causes issues on the 6600. Specifically degraded Bluetooth performance and memory issues with Agenda Fusion and Pocket Informant. I'm 99% convinced that it affects Agenda Fusion. I did a hard reset on my device and loaded everything except Voice Command. For over a week now I've had no issues with Agenda Fusion whatsoever. When Voice Command was loaded I would get sporadic missing critical components alerts when using Agenda Fusion.

Another issue I think I've isolated is that my Wireless Sync icon on the Today page would migrate one space to the left after being selelcted. I'm pretty sure this is a result of SPB Pocket Plus. I didn't load Pocket Plus for a week and the icon never migrated. The same day I loaded Pocket Plus the icon started migrating again.

Happily Converged
    Regarding PocketPlus... I found the same thing until I put clientshell.exe into the Close Button exception list.

Remember, it closes applications when you click ok. I believe the migration is a result of it re-opening.

Thanks Fax Man, that worked like a champ.

Where's clientshell.exe located?
    "Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience."

From the Today screen, click on the SPB symbol on the left of the screen. Click on the Close Button feature then click the Features Options button. Click on the Exceptions Tab. Click on Add. Browse to Programs -> SyncClient. Select ClientShell.exe. That's it, it stops migrating everytime you select it.

Thanks.
    "Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience."

I don't think your issue is specific to VC.

Basically, from reading these threads, there seems to be a 'resource' issue with these devices (Windows Mobile Devices, not just the 6600s), very similar to the System Resource limitations in Windows 3x/9x. In those OSs, you could multi-task, but regardless of how much RAM you had, there was a hard cap on certain areas of memory that were referred to as the 'System Resources'. Loading too many apps or large files would use this memory space, and it could fill up, causing lockups or crashes. Some apps would 'leak', causing the gradual reduction of these resources as well and closing the app wouldn't free the memory it uses, so a reboot would be needed.

128MB is a lot of memory on these devices, probably near (if not more than) the upper limit of what the original developers of Windows 2003 thought might be available. That 128MB, and the availability of large SD cards, tempts us to load lots of apps and huge files. Some of those apps are relatively large, and may use alot of memory and/or 'system resources' when running. (What I call 'system resources' may actually be what some developers around here have referred to the DLL Memory space limitation.) I think this is especially true of Today Screen plug-ins and replacements, just like creating too many desktop icons or opening too many windows or apps in Windows 3x/9x would tend to cause problems. Apps like PocketPlus and AgendaFusion would be perfect examples of this, and in addition, they load all your PIM info as well, sometimes making thier own working copies of the data. VC can't be that small of a program, and just sits there in the background all the time as well. Combine a few of these, and you'll see where you can easily run low on these resources.

Some of the developers have said that WM2005 will address these memory limitations, so hopefully, we'll see some improvement once that's availbale (maybe not on our devices, but the next gen?).
    -Lee
    Samsung i730
    Ridata 1GB SD Card, Transcend 4GB SD card, PPC Tech Audio Adapter

I had a memory leak as described. Couldn't stop it, had to hard reset. No more today plugins for me. And I will watch my main memory more closely..

Great description of the memory leak thing. One thing though, the only new software I've added since getting this device is Microsoft Voice Command. I'm sure it has to utilize a large amount of memory and this undoubtedly is why I was getting the memory errors with Agenda Fusion. Prior to this device, XV6600, I had the Siemens SX-56 and the MDA II and I never had any issues with Agenda Fusion.

The new version of BetaPlayer is my thorn.

Every other version has worked on every pda I've had except the XV6600. All ringtones become unuseable except for the "Windows Default" sound (pretty bad for a ring tone).

It also screws up text that shows up in pop up boxes (you know the ones for "save", "cancel", etc.).

No fix yet.

It sounds like I will need to choose between VC and Agenda Fusion. Agenda fusion does what it does well. VC is at best a temporary solution for easier phone dialing. Until it is usable from a BT headset it will be weak in my opinion. I guess it's out.

VC and Pocket Informant seem to place nice for me. No issues there.

I tried version 0.4...but that's as bad as the previous one for fonts. Ring tones do work with that version though.

It seems I've been reduced to version 0.3. I'll be missing the new stuff but at least this is functional.

Last edited by maximum; 02-12-2005 at 06:23 PM.

Microsoft Voice Command Ripoff!!!!!

Just my opinion and hopefully Microsoft will be listening. Biggest waste of $39.00, no volume, meaning, unless your in a totally quite environment you cann't hear what it is saying. no support for bluetooth, what use is bluetooth if yo have a headset on and you have to fumble with the phone to make a call. remove this program(voice command) from your device and see how much more stable it is, no more disappearing icons from settings, system, and connection tabs. i came to the xv6600 from the i700, VOICE SIGNAL, which was included with the phone cd setup or you could download from Voice Signal's web site, was awesome compared to voice command.
    come on microsoft, this software has alot of potential, but needs lot of attention at this point.
    final thoughts, DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY AT THIS TIME.
    just my humble opinion

I'd give up my headset before I'd give up VC. Yes it does (or has) caused problems but i'm willing to live with them.

If you think there is something better than voice command today please let us know.

Currently everything is playing nice on the new ROM. And I can hear it fine even with the car radio going.

Part of the lack of integration is not Voice Commands fault. It's a combination of BlueTooth, HTC and Voice Command.

I feel the same way. I find myself using Voice Command way more than my Bluetooth headset.

I find it to be an esssential app to the device. I thinkl MS should consider including it as part of the PPC platform. Of course they won't since they can make money from it.

even without a BT headset, how do you hear voice command speak to you, UNLESS your in a totally soundless environment???? have you used voice signal with the i700? it had enough volume you could use it. $39.00 for a useless product in my opinion.

If I've got the system volume turned up all the way I usually don't have any trouble hearing it respond back to me.

i have the xv6600, verizon version, mswlogo, i think has the sprint version, 6601, not sure about anyone else, but maybe they are different phones. I do have the SYSTEM and phone VOLUME all the way up and cann't here Voice Command with the radio on in the car or if i would have he window down. maybe you all are using your 6601 in a silent environment, but that isn't practical for me as well as probably alot of other 6600 owners. i'm not going to argue with you, in my opinion $39.00 is a waste of money.
    with my i700 and voice signal i could clearly hear it talk back to me, i guess i just got spoiled.
    i'm right now looking at VITO TECH. voice dialer. i think it is speech recognition based, which means i would have to record my contacts, seems to have lots of volume, and says it SUPPORTS Bluetooth Headset operation.
    IMAGINE THAT

Yes, there has always seemed to be a volume problem with the XV6600 and had assumed that might have been resolved with the new ROM. Physically I believe it is the same phone.

If I turned th PPC-6601 up all the way and got a voice command response I would not be able to keep my ear near it because it would hurt. I've been blasted a couple times when caught off guard.

Some day we can diff registries and maybe we can get to the bottom of why XV6600 has low volume.

What does Microsoft say about all this? Are they waiting for us to solve their problems?