+ Reply to Thread
    VZW XV6600

how to set # rings before vxml answers?

I have an XV6600 from VZW. Most of the time when a call comes in, the phone rings about 3-4 times before being routed to voicemail. A few times it only rings 1-2 times and I don't know why. This happens in all areas with various signal strengths. The problem is that I would like the phone to ring longer, at least 6 rings before it goes to voicemail. Sometimes my phone is on the desk, in a laptop bag, in the truck console, etc. and other times I just need time to get the Bluetooth headset ready. In all of these cases the call is gone way before I can answer which is very irritating. I checked all over the phone and web forums but found no mention of such a setting, which leads me to believe it must be set by VZW and not an option. Does anyone else have this problem, and if so has anyone found a solution? It seems like such a basic setting that I can't believe it wouldn't be an option on either the phone or the VZW account / voicemail system....

I think it's actually time, not rings, but it's set on the network. Customer Service should be able to set it (at least that's what they told me once).
    -Lee
    Samsung i730
    Ridata 1GB SD Card, Transcend 4GB SD card, PPC Tech Audio Adapter

VZW XV6600
    Thanks for the tip. I just called VZW Customer Service at 611. They said that the Tech Svcs dept. can in fact control the ring time before voicemail picks up but it is set in 15-second increments instead of the number of rings. The default is 30 seconds but they can set it to 45 or 60 seconds which is the maximum. I asked if it could be changed by the user via the voicemail or web systems, or if it could be set <30 or >60 seconds, and in both cases the answer was no. I guess the actual number of rings would depend on your signal strength, delay for the ringer to activate, and type of ring tone that you select.

Since the default 30 second duration usually gives me 3-4 rings at most, I went ahead and had them set it at 60 seconds so I can test this out for the next week or so. I don't see a drawback to a lot of rings since I will usually pickup in 5-6 rings but perhaps some callers will hang up if it rings too long before voicemail. I guess this could also be annoying for my coworkers if I leave my phone laying around unattended and it rings 6-8+ times, but then I never leave this particular device anywhere since it cost more than most home PCs after all the custom accsys....

Also, I plan to install a custom ring program soon so I can add caller ID pictures, custom ring tones, and automatically reject unwanted calls (forward to voicemail). I also want a program to keep the screen from turning on for various messages - it should stay off at all times unless I press the power button or press the talk button to answer a call. Does anyone know of one program that does all of these things? I have read a lot on this forum about several good programs but none seem to have all these features.

I just called VZW and they told me that Southern California is not one of the areas that has implemented the ability to adjust time before a caller is directed to voicemail.

Is this really the case? Or was the CS just just blowing me off.

Richard

VZW XV6600
    OK, I had my incoming ring time changed by VZW to 60 seconds and then I did *228 option 2 to reprogram and reboot as instructed, but nothing seemed to change. To confirm this I placed 4 calls to my cell phone from my residential land line and used an <a href="http://www.shodor.org/interactivate/activities/stopwatch/" target="_blank"> internet stopwatch</a> to time the average duration for the following events:

A - first ring on land line: started the timer
    B - first ring on XV6600: avg 4.8 seconds after A
    C - last ring on XV6600: avg 25.0 seconds after B
    D - vxml greeting on land line: avg 3.0 seconds after C

Right now my XV6600 is still only ringing for 25 seconds, which is about 3-4 complete ring tone cycles with the current ringer. Based on this I will have to call VZW in the morning to make sure they set the ring time at 60 seconds and that I am not missing something.

The worst part is that the caller hears 6-7 rings on the land line even though the XV6600 only rings 3-4 times. Most callers will probably hang up after 8-9 rings assuming there is no answer and no voicemail, so setting the VZW ring time to 45 or 60 seconds might give me 6-8 rings on the XV6600 but way too many rings on the caller side and I would get very few voicemails.

Too bad VZW won't let us set the ring time via the web or vxml system, and also let us set it in 1-second increments. Then we could experiment and find the best settings for our calling areas / devices.

Hmmm... perhaps there is no way to fix this and the real problem is the switching delay introduced by the VZW network. A total of 8 seconds is lost to switching in the 38 second cycle and this is not very encouraging. This test was done in my home calling area with a full strength signal on the XV6600 so I doubt it will get any better, and it will most likely get worse when I travel. No wonder I am missing so many calls! Anyone else have this problem, or other ideas on how to fix?