+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Keep it or give it back!?

Hi all,

I just switched to the XV6600 from a Treo 600 that I have been using since they first came out. Used a Treo 300 prior to that. Before the Treo 300, all of my PDAs were WinCE or PPC devices.

I was hoping that the PPC/WMobile platform had improved significantly in the 3 years I'd been away. Overall, I think there has been very good progress. My concern however is that the WM platform has a ways to go before it can be considered a great converged device/phone platform.

Here are my concerns. I'm in the 15 days window on the XV6600 from Verizon, I'm hoping you guys can help me work around my first impressions before I give it back in favor of the Treo.

PROS
    - The XV6600 display is heaven compared to the Treo600. I need frequent web/email/SSH/TS access for my work, and the XV6600's big, beautiful display blows the 600 out of the water of course. Due to the size, it's really not within reach of the 650, either.

- More horsepower. The XV6600 definitely runs circles around the Treo in terms of speed and processing power.

CONS

I'm hoping for some recommendations here to help me deal with these issues:

- One handed phone operation seems to be impossible. I was prepared for this (or so I thought), but you don't really realize how wonderful the Treo is in this regard until you switch to something else. I use my phone most often in the car, and the Treo is effortless. With the XV6600, I was afraid I was going to wreck every time I used it. No doubt this will get a little better with practice, but I don't see any significant room for improvement. Any recommended 3rd party dialers?

- One handed operation in general seems bad. I expected this, but it's weird that the nav pad on the XV6600 seems to work in such strange ways. The support for the nav pad in the WM OS leaves a lot to be desired. Even clearing appointment alerts can be a challenge. It really makes you appreciate the way the active selection is always highlighted in blue on the Treo. On the XV6600, who knows what your selection is or what's going to happen when you press the button.

- The keyboard on the XV6600 leaves a lot to be desired. I find myself using the soft keyboard (on screen) more and more. Which is a real shame. It's also interesting that I didn't realize how much I used the Treo keyboard for dialing numbers that weren't in my contacts. This is impossible to do on the XV6600 easily due to the slide requirement.

- Recurring/repeating SMS notifications. This is a deal killer for me. If the new PhoneAlarm application doesn't get straightened out soon, I'm definitely taking this thing back. I can't believe this isn't supported natively by the OS. If I can't use the device like a pager, I can't use the device at all.

- Dialing from contacts is a lot more work on the XV6600 than on the Treo. I could find anyone on the Treo with one click of the nav pad then two clicks on the keyboard. Not so on the XV6600.

- Speeddial - why am I forced to create a contact before I can setup a speeddial? This means I have to put my voicemail numbers, my wife's pager, etc in as contacts. Makes no sense to me why I can't create a new speeddial entry with any number I choose.

- MS options. Is it just me, or are the options available to WM users significantly reduced compared to those available to Palm users? It seems every application I try (particularly bundled or native applications) is crippled compared to the Palm equivalent. Pocket Outlook doesn't have half the features of Snappermail, MS's own TS client sucks compared to MobileTS on Palm, I don't get it.

- Finally, battery life on the XV6600 is HORRID. I suppose a second battery will resolve this, but I was stunned to be on a roadtrip and have the phone die after barely 3 hours of use.

I knew I was buying a pda/phone instead of the phone/pda I had with the Treo, I guess I underestimated the difficulty I would have using the phone on the XV6600 when driving. This is where the Treo's brilliant design sort of sneaks up on you. I really, really want to like the XV6600. Tell me how you work around these issues - I want to keep it.

Thank you!

Brandon
    Last edited by cbtrussell; 02-14-2005 at 10:34 AM.

Oh god.. another palm lover trying out PocketPC.

Simply put, you won't like it. Ever, send it back.

Most of your questions are nit-picky, and you won't get around them. As for battery life? There are 3rd party options. Go check the FAQ. [You did that already right?] (Also note that pulling data constantly adversely effects battery life.)

My suggestion is send it back and go back to your favorite.

Personally I can't stand PalmOS... it reaks of 1980's programming for long-outdated cpus. But.. everybody has their favorite devices...

btf

I think a lot of your issues with one handed operation would be solved by Voice Command. I always use it in the car (and most other times) for dialing or finding contacts. It's very simple. One button push and ....call John Smith at Work...etc.

Originally posted by bfaber
    Did you read the first sentence from the OP or did you just hone into his comparison between the 6600 and the Treo? This is a PPC guy who tried out a Palm one time and returned to the PPC platform!

This is just one reason why until now I've stayed away from the PPC. Not only do I LOATHE M$, too many of the the PPC-faithful are so blinded that they can't see let alone read!

Inhale, exhale, release...

@cbt
    I'm also looking forward to the responses to this thread since I share your concerns.

You'd think software enhancements should resolve the issues you've listed and developers should be chomping at the opportunities here. My credit cards and Paypal accounts are ready and waiting.

I admit to being a Palm-OS lover who is trying out a PPC for the first time. I knew that it would never operate as intuitively as a Palm device but as long as I can eventually get it to do what I need it to do, I think I'll appreciate it.

oh God, another MS fanatic who can't read

I said at the outset I had quite a few PPC devices. What makes you think I'm a Palm lover?

When I first went with the Treo 300, there were ZERO viable phone/pda options on the PPC platform. Nada. None. I was extremely hesitant to go over the Palm camp because I had always regarded Palm devices as simplistic toys for technophobes. Kind of like Macs and Saturns. Well you know what? The damn thing worked. Never crashed. Which is a lot more than I can say for the fleet of Jornada's and iPaQs I had used up to that point.

The Treo 600 is a dream to use. Simple, yes. But it makes me very efficient, and EFFECTIVE. Am I a Palm lover? Absolutely not. The OS is limited at best. I'll tell you what, I am a Treo lover. The form factor is incredible, and it's obvious that a significant amount of thought went into the usability of the device. Please tell me why MS, with all of their boundless resources, can't replicate this? I'm baffled.

So anyway, the point is these are valid concerns from a long-time PPC user who happens to think the Treo is a great device. Handspring, for the most part, got it right. I'd like to have a similar option on the PPC platform, and so far, it seems like we've got a little longer to wait.

You call my criticisms nit-picky - and maybe they are - but that's the difference between a great product and one that's just 'good enough'.

Thanks for your feedback.

Brandon

I have the xv6600 as well and essentially have the exact same complaints/questions cbtrussell. By the way I am not a Palm/Treo lover but I have used one on a demo and agree that one handed use is a dream compared to the xv6600.

One of the frustrations with this device is that most of the solutions seem to be adding software that may or may not work adequetly. This device is already expensive enough but by the time you add a headset, holster, applications, etc it cost as much or more than a latptop.

The biggest issues for me are:

-One handed operation
    -Recurring/repeating SMS notifications

I still like this device but I would agree that just a week with some testing by the manufacturer and MS would highlight some of these issues.

I look forward to any responses as well for solutions.

If you have and liked the Treo 600 - why did you switch to the 6600? I too have a 600 - and its a fine device. We are rolling 6600-s corporate and thus the need to switch for me - if it was not for the roll I don't think I'd give up the 600. Return your 6600 - and check back in a few months to see if your concerns have been addressed.

Imo - the 6600 with the 2200 battery offers more JUICE than my Treo 600 -

Simply put, you won't like it. Ever, send it back.

Most of your questions are nit-picky, and you won't get around them. ........................................

My suggestion is send it back and go back to your favorite.

Personally I can't stand PalmOS... it reaks of 1980's programming for long-outdated cpus. But.. everybody has their favorite devices...

btf
    I don't understand this hostility between PPC users and Palm users. I noticed it in both communities. It's just a PDA phone for crying out loud. It's a tool, not a status symol.

I used both and liked both but settled for a PPC. Welcome to the real world.

Re: Keep it or give it back!?

Originally posted by cbtrussell
    [B]I just switched to the XV6600 from a Treo 600 that I have been using since they first came out.

CONS
    I also migrated from Treo650 to PPC. Your cons exceed your pros by a big margin. Have you tried the Treo650? I did, and returned it and selected a PPC6601 and then an SX66.

- ...........One handed phone operation seems to be impossible. Any recommended 3rd party dialers?
    We beat that issue of "one-handed operation" to death on TreoCentral. But you can find dialers, or use the carrier's voice dialing service. I used voice command 1.5, but that is more than just a dialer. It's more like a voice remote control for the device. I unstalled it because it was a system resource hog. Then I used sprint's voice command. It was great for dialing. One key to press, not one handed but one fingured. LOL

- The keyboard on the XV6600 leaves a lot to be desired. I find myself using the soft keyboard (on screen) more and more. .............
    Me too, but then I couldn't type on the Treo650 either because my fat thumbs kept hitting two keys simultaneouly. So, I used the stylus on the Treo as well. But my PPC had a lot more choice like Transcriber, hand writing recognition, hand drawing.

- Recurring/repeating SMS notifications.
    Don't know much about that. I'm not of SMS user

- Dialing from contacts is a lot more work on the XV6600 than on the Treo. I could find anyone on the Treo with one click of the nav pad then two clicks on the keyboard. Not so on the XV6600.
    Oh, you mean the search for contact by typing the first few letters of the last name? You can do the same on your XV6600. Just hit Contacts button and type "S", and you'll get all the people with "S" in their last name.

Btw, the treo community is complaining about a 3~4 seconds delay when you dial from contacts. I experienced that on the T650. If you're not careful you can crash your car trying to see if it dialed or not, as one Treo user complained. LOL

- Speeddial - why am I forced to create a contact before I can setup a speeddial? This means I have to put my voicemail numbers, my wife's pager, etc in as contacts. Makes no sense to me why I can't create a new speeddial entry with any number I choose.
    Your voicemail, directory assistane, and voice connect are already in your speed dial when you activate yourr phone. You can add more speed dials by hitting NEW from the speed dial menu. If the number you want is in the contacts you can find it. Otherwise you can add it.

- MS options. Is it just me, or are the options available to WM users significantly reduced compared to those available to Palm users? It seems every application I try (particularly bundled or native applications) is crippled compared to the Palm equivalent. Pocket Outlook doesn't have half the features of Snappermail, MS's own TS client sucks compared to MobileTS on Palm, I don't get it.
    I find PPC apps are more flexible and more abundant than Palm apps, and I'm a convert myself. Your choice of apps would determine that of course. Some things in Palm were simpler, if that is what you mean.

- Finally, battery life on the XV6600 is HORRID. I suppose a second battery will resolve this, but I was stunned to be on a roadtrip and have the phone die after barely 3 hours of use.
    You can get a 2200 mAh, or even a 300mAh battery. Your choice.

I knew I was buying a pda/phone instead of the phone/pda I had with the Treo,
    This is another myth that Treo owners try to sell. They are both PDA phones, both have the bar form, and both are expensive.

I think you're just used to your Treo and finding it hard to migrate. Some people find migrating from PPC to Treo impossible. Patience and getting through the leaning curve can go a long way. Everyone should use what works best for them.

Good luck with your decision. I know lots of T650 owners who have gone through their 7th unit so far. I only went through one, and it was enough.

Originally posted by bobjamision
    If you have and liked the Treo 600 - why did you switch to the 6600?
    I switched to Verizon from Sprint due to rural coverage issues, and thought I'd come back home to the MS camp while I was at it. Honestly, I was excited to have a "mini laptop" that would allow me to handle more issues on the road than the Treo currently does. Yes, I do have a web browser, MobileTS and an SSH client on the Treo, but at the end of the day it's a pretty small screen to try to work with. Since I don't make as many calls as used to, I thought I could live with the compromises forced by the XV6600. I read every relevant thread on the XV6600 before making the purchase, and even demo'd it several times at the Verizon store. The day after I bought it I took a long road trip and the deficiencies were just glaringly obvious once I tried to use it in the car.

Imo - the 6600 with the 2200 battery offers more JUICE than my Treo 600 -
    That's good to know - at least there are options for that issue.

Right now I'm seriously considering reverting to the Treo600 and just carrying my laptop and a sync cable on longer trips in the event something comes up - there's always PDAnet. I want to come back into the PPC fold, and I definitely want a better device than the Treo600, but right now... it's a tough call.

Thanks for your comments.

Brandon

"The form factor is incredible, and it's obvious that a significant amount of thought went into the usability of the device. Please tell me why MS, with all of their boundless resources, can't replicate this? I'm baffled."

Maybe because MS doesn't make the devices, only the OS?
    If you like the Treo form-factor so much, you may want to read this - http://www.msmobiles.com/news.php/3583.html
    -Lee
    Samsung i730
    Ridata 1GB SD Card, Transcend 4GB SD card, PPC Tech Audio Adapter

Originally posted by lmychajluk
    "The form factor is incredible, and it's obvious that a significant amount of thought went into the usability of the device. Please tell me why MS, with all of their boundless resources, can't replicate this? I'm baffled."

Maybe because MS doesn't make the devices, only the OS?
    If you like the Treo form-factor so much, you may want to read this - http://www.msmobiles.com/news.php/3583.html
    Now wait, you guys can't have it both ways - I praise the Treo, a hardware device, and you call me a Palm lover?!? But all of a sudden, "MS doesn't make devices, only the OS"?

Seriously, I have actually been thinking about that. It was rumored on TreoCentral several months ago. But in all fairness, the Treo works because Handspring invested the effort to tweak the Palm OS to work with the device, ie. one handed operation. They would need a lot of time to similarly tweak the Windows Mobile OS, but if anyone understands what needs to be done, it's them.

Of course, we'd still be stuck with the small screen :p

My biggest beef with the Treo is the small screen. That's the best thing going for the XV6600.

On the flip side, the biggest issue with the XV6600 is phone function, which is the strength of the Treo.

It all really boils down to that.

Brandon

Re: Re: Keep it or give it back!?

Tony,

Thanks for your lengthy reply. That's exactly the type of input I was looking for, and I appreciate your time.

Originally posted by TonyH
    I also migrated from Treo650 to PPC. Your cons exceed your pros by a big margin. Have you tried the Treo650? I did, and returned it and selected a PPC6601 and then an SX66.
    I'm on Verizon now, so the 650 is a no-go.

We beat that issue of "one-handed operation" to death on TreoCentral. But you can find dialers, or use the carrier's voice dialing service. I used voice command 1.5, but that is more than just a dialer. It's more like a voice remote control for the device. I unstalled it because it was a system resource hog. Then I used sprint's voice command. It was great for dialing. One key to press, not one handed but one fingured. LOL
    I haven't tried out the MS voice command yet, maybe that will help. Unfortunately I dont have a BT headset - or even a wired headset - so far. Trying to minimize the investment until I make a final decision.

Me too, but then I couldn't type on the Treo650 either because my fat thumbs kept hitting two keys simultaneouly. So, I used the stylus on the Treo as well. But my PPC had a lot more choice like Transcriber, hand writing recognition, hand drawing.
    I guess I can't complain too much here, I knew the keyboard wasn't as good before I bought it. Knowing what I know now though, I wonder if I wouldn't be happier with a 6315 type device that allowed me to clip on a BETTER keyboard... hmmm... I'm just not sure how much I'm going to use the built in keyboard, even after the indespensible keyboard on the Treo.

I'm not of SMS user
    I wasn't either until I discovered how the instant delivery nature of the SMS system allowed me to use a cell phone like a pager. I get everything from voicemail alerts (office phone) to server messages via SMS now.

Oh, you mean the search for contact by typing the first few letters of the last name? You can do the same on your XV6600. Just hit Contacts button and type "S", and you'll get all the people with "S" in their last name.
    Cool. Good tip - too bad the VX didn't come with a manual. Not as easy as the Treo to do one handed, but I can live with it.

You can add more speed dials by hitting NEW from the speed dial menu. If the number you want is in the contacts you can find it. Otherwise you can add it.
    Yes, but I have to add it as a CONTACT. I know, I know, minor gripe.

I find PPC apps are more flexible and more abundant than Palm apps, and I'm a convert myself. Your choice of apps would determine that of course. Some things in Palm were simpler, if that is what you mean.
    Well Snapper gives me many more options for how to handle my mail than Pocket Outlook. Even the MobileTS client allows me to select the remote desktop size for cryin' out loud. I get the feeling when using many of the built-in apps that MS thinks they know best as to what I want, and they're going to 'protect me' from making bad choices. I wish I had better examples to share. Give a couple of days and I'll make notes

This is another myth that Treo owners try to sell. They are both PDA phones, both have the bar form, and both are expensive.
    In my case, the description is 100% accurate. For me, the Treo is 1000x easier to use as a phone than the VX6600. But again, I usually do my dialing while driving.

I think you're just used to your Treo and finding it hard to migrate. Some people find migrating from PPC to Treo impossible. Patience and getting through the leaning curve can go a long way. Everyone should use what works best for them.
    I hope you're right. It's clear the PPC won't just slip into my pocket like the Treo does. Hopefully with a belt clip case and a little time with VoiceCommand, I can iron out some of these rough spots.

Thanks again for the thoughtful comments.

Brandon

cbtrussell

I have installed the latest beta of pocketMax phone alarm and it is working for repeating SMS messaged. I am testing now.

This is a big deal for me since my network notifiaction software sends notifications using SMS and I am able to treat them differetly than email. I don't check my device every time an email comes but is an SMS comes, I know it is important and need it to wake me up at night.

I think you said it best when u said pda/phone or phone/pda
    The whole reason for switching to this type devise was so I could carry less "stuff". After HAVEING to use the Treo 600 for over 2 weeks (i'd say thats a fair eval period ) it just doesnt fitt into MY requirements . Sure the 6601 has its quircks but for the most part it does everything you need and the ease of useing it W/ other things like linking w/ work, friends, and such MS was the way to go . Now if i could just figure out how to get the slide screen to also double as a bottle opener for my beer at the end of the day now that would be form and function all in one or maybe the "swiss army" version . Ok for real now ... palm is nice but for universal reasons PPC is the only way to go .

P.T.

I'm sure the "post-it" ppl are very sadd I have my PPC back !!!

Re: Re: Re: Keep it or give it back!?

You can try Voice Command for free by downloading the free trial from http://www.handango.com - you should try it before you make up your mind.

Originally posted by cbtrussell
    Tony,

Thanks for your lengthy reply. That's exactly the type of input I was looking for, and I appreciate your time.

I'm on Verizon now, so the 650 is a no-go.

I haven't tried out the MS voice command yet, maybe that will help. Unfortunately I dont have a BT headset - or even a wired headset - so far. Trying to minimize the investment until I make a final decision.

I guess I can't complain too much here, I knew the keyboard wasn't as good before I bought it. Knowing what I know now though, I wonder if I wouldn't be happier with a 6315 type device that allowed me to clip on a BETTER keyboard... hmmm... I'm just not sure how much I'm going to use the built in keyboard, even after the indespensible keyboard on the Treo.

I wasn't either until I discovered how the instant delivery nature of the SMS system allowed me to use a cell phone like a pager. I get everything from voicemail alerts (office phone) to server messages via SMS now.

Cool. Good tip - too bad the VX didn't come with a manual. Not as easy as the Treo to do one handed, but I can live with it.

Yes, but I have to add it as a CONTACT. I know, I know, minor gripe.

Well Snapper gives me many more options for how to handle my mail than Pocket Outlook. Even the MobileTS client allows me to select the remote desktop size for cryin' out loud. I get the feeling when using many of the built-in apps that MS thinks they know best as to what I want, and they're going to 'protect me' from making bad choices. I wish I had better examples to share. Give a couple of days and I'll make notes

In my case, the description is 100% accurate. For me, the Treo is 1000x easier to use as a phone than the VX6600. But again, I usually do my dialing while driving.

I hope you're right. It's clear the PPC won't just slip into my pocket like the Treo does. Hopefully with a belt clip case and a little time with VoiceCommand, I can iron out some of these rough spots.

Thanks again for the thoughtful comments.

Brandon

Should i ditch my XV6600

I have a Verizon XV6600.. After reading some of the comments here it would seem, Verizon would be real slow in releasing what are important issues I have with it. I love the phone otherwise so much but, I have 12 days left to decide if I want to keep it and go back to my TREO 600 until these have been addressed :

1. 2-3 times a day I get the number is not correct and requires the "turn on/off flight mode reset". Whilst driving I'm screwed because that's not a solution

2. Bluetooth. It works great but too much static unless the phone is held within 2-3 feet of me (might as well hold in my ear).

3. Contacts from address book is not a driving solution. In fact, it's a "stlylus only" solution. Need something for fat fingers.

4. Battery is a complete dog to the point where I have to have power everywhere I spend time (home office, office, beside bed and car)...

5. Media Player for internet radio works great except when it cuts off, I have to re-run it, click playlists, click web favourites and then click my radion stations.

6. I want to be able to have favorites on my front screen for fast access to phone, web pages and internet radio stations.

Some of these are minor but together they hurt me. Everytime my wife borrows my phone it seems it needs a reset to flight mode - she thinks I'm mad keeping it....

What do you think

1- switch to another carrier for faster updates ?
    2 - switch back to Treo until products stablise
    3 - buy bits of s/w to fix some of the above

I'm frustrated with it 30% of the time, and only 5% with the TRO but no doubt, the XV6600 i very lovable and so close to being the best product on earth.... if some of the more basic things were going to be fixed (battery/bluetooth) in the next 3 months, the decision would be easy...

Re: Should i ditch my XV6600

Originally posted by franky111
    I have a Verizon XV6600.. After reading some of the comments here it would seem, Verizon would be real slow in releasing what are important issues I have with it. I love the phone otherwise so much but, I have 12 days left to decide if I want to keep it and go back to my TREO 600 until these have been addressed :

1. 2-3 times a day I get the number is not correct and requires the "turn on/off flight mode reset". Whilst driving I'm screwed because that's not a solution

2. Bluetooth. It works great but too much static unless the phone is held within 2-3 feet of me (might as well hold in my ear).

3. Contacts from address book is not a driving solution. In fact, it's a "stlylus only" solution. Need something for fat fingers.

4. Battery is a complete dog to the point where I have to have power everywhere I spend time (home office, office, beside bed and car)...

5. Media Player for internet radio works great except when it cuts off, I have to re-run it, click playlists, click web favourites and then click my radion stations.

6. I want to be able to have favorites on my front screen for fast access to phone, web pages and internet radio stations.

Some of these are minor but together they hurt me. Everytime my wife borrows my phone it seems it needs a reset to flight mode - she thinks I'm mad keeping it....

What do you think

1- switch to another carrier for faster updates ?
    2 - switch back to Treo until products stablise
    3 - buy bits of s/w to fix some of the above

I'm frustrated with it 30% of the time, and only 5% with the TRO but no doubt, the XV6600 i very lovable and so close to being the best product on earth.... if some of the more basic things were going to be fixed (battery/bluetooth) in the next 3 months, the decision would be easy...
    1. I'm not familiar with that problem. What is exactly happening?
    2. Which headset are you using? What version of BT is your 6600 running?
    3. Try Finger Clix (3rd party app)
    4. You can buy extended batteries, or try turning down screen brightness, turn off IR, dim screen while listening to music, and use SuperDaves phone lock to keep the random power ons (like those seen with Bluetooth) to a minimum.
    5. I use GS Player and Shoutcast.com stations (GS is a free download). Easier use, less steps. But wireless data is wireless data. In my area, I don't get many cutoffs, but it does happen on occassion. GS Player reconnects automatically.
    6. I use SPB Pocket Plus to put favorite programs on the today screen. BatteryBar does the same.

Most of these issues are not solved with updates--they are issues with pdaphones in general (battery life and problem #1 excluded). It's your decision between the treo and 3rd party software. I think most here use 3rd party programs to give us the fit that best meets our needs. But we are here to help.
    Jeremiah 29:11

Franky... I wouldn't ditch it...

Some of the stuff is getting fixed 3rd party behind everyone's backs... like the ROM with the WMP10 upgrade...

This device is close enough to the other devices that the rom images work on them, so if one updates, you can get the update... as long as you don't have the camera version... and if you do there's a third party app out there that lets you run the camera anyways.

I never had a treo... never wanted one. PPC things can be frustrating, and I agree with the "cannot complete call" stuff, but (and this is akward...) since installing the WMA10 rom (as posted in this forum) I haven't had that happen once.

That's rather strange... but... whatever.

The battery...

I just got the 3300 from lionbatteries (or lionbattery... or whatever...) and it lasted all day yesterday using all kinds of stuff all day long... sure... an extra $130 for a battery that makes your $600 device work is rediculous, but that's not the fault of Verizon and switching to a different carrier won't help you there.

I'd go with option 3.

There's free software to do some of that stuff. I think... GSPlayer takes care of #5. You can d/l the playlists from shoutcast and just open the playlist... if it stops, it just goes to the next file/streamsource and starts back up.

Bluetooth... shouldn't be having that problem... granted, it isn't the best, but I can have mine in a cargo pocket in my pants and it works fine from there... What headset are you using?

So.. we've got #3, #4, and #6 left.

You can get a new battery, VoiceCommand, and... umm... um.... duno about #6...

It's up to you. I think it's worht the frustration to be abl to play playstation games, stream anything, did someone mention Orb? and stuff.

I'd (acctually) reccomend the WMP10 rom upgrade... because it seems to make stuff more stable.

Maybe I'm just weird...

My thoughts... Sure you heard enough...
    bye
    Kalash
    @#$@ upgrades... now I gotta write a new poem :rolleyes:
    <a href="http://www.deviantart.com/view/8708895/">My I-700 makes YOUR phone look like poo.</a>

Re: Re: Should i ditch my XV6600

Thanks. 1 - seems to be quite common in this forum. Basically if you dial too quickly between calls, the phone won't dial out without giving the error that the number may be wrong. It's frustrating.

The headset I'm using Jabra 250 - it's great apart from static. Again, people have posted it's a s/w bluetooth problem.

I'll look into the other app solutions - they might get this phone more usable.

With the player, it's more that the media player timesout when it cannot reconnect with no setting of what that timeout is. Most of the time it's OK but sometimes, normally whilst driver media player gives the "cannot play file" message after a minute timeout. I'd prefer it to be at least 5 mins whilst driving.

Thanks again.

Originally posted by mwfielder
    1. I'm not familiar with that problem. What is exactly happening?
    2. Which headset are you using? What version of BT is your 6600 running?
    3. Try Finger Clix (3rd party app)
    4. You can buy extended batteries, or try turning down screen brightness, turn off IR, dim screen while listening to music, and use SuperDaves phone lock to keep the random power ons (like those seen with Bluetooth) to a minimum.
    5. I use GS Player and Shoutcast.com stations (GS is a free download). Easier use, less steps. But wireless data is wireless data. In my area, I don't get many cutoffs, but it does happen on occassion. GS Player reconnects automatically.
    6. I use SPB Pocket Plus to put favorite programs on the today screen. BatteryBar does the same.

Most of these issues are not solved with updates--they are issues with pdaphones in general (battery life and problem #1 excluded). It's your decision between the treo and 3rd party software. I think most here use 3rd party programs to give us the fit that best meets our needs. But we are here to help.