+ Reply to Thread

Dialup ISP on Verizon XV6600

Hello all,
    I had a Treo 600 before the XV6600. With the Treo I could use a 3rd party ISP (Access-4-Free) to dial up so I could surf and check email. I used this because 1, out of the Verizon network you can't use #777 and 2, I didn't use the data service much so saved money by not using Verizon's 1x.

I'm having trouble making the same connection to Access-4-Free with the XV6600.

Is this something Verizon has done to push people to use their broadband?

If Access-4-Free does not work does anybody know of a ISP that does?

or...am I out of luck and have to go with a data plan from Verizon.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Regards,
    John B

You're going to have to go with a data plan. In order to use a cellphone to connect to a regular, dial-up ISP, the phone has to support analog connections. The Audiovox is all digital.
    Mobile Pimp: Fujitsu P7010D, Audiovox 6600, Playstation PSP, iGo Juice (70), Kingston 5gb PC-Card, SDIO Socket Wifi, Socket BlueTooth GPS, Socket CF BT Adapter, PNY 4 in 1 Memory Adapter.

Big Calhoun,
    That's what I don't understand and makes things wierd.

The Treo 600 is all digital and I was able to make the connection.

Big Calhoun, are you sure about that?

Though I've never tried with a full connection setup, I can't see why you wouldn't be able to call a modem w/ the xv6600. (Actually, I just tried it as a voice call to an Earthlink dial-up # and the call went through.) Though this may be limited to 14.4 kbps, how would VZW be able to tell if it was a modem or a person picking up at the other end? I would think this would be treated as any other voice call.

jbeamer - if you just call the phone #, will the ISP's modem pick up?
    -Lee
    Samsung i730
    Ridata 1GB SD Card, Transcend 4GB SD card, PPC Tech Audio Adapter

Lee,
    Yes. I dial the ISP from the phone pad and hear modem sounds.

In the settings for the ISP. I'm picking 'Cellular Line', is this correct?

John

My understanding of it has been that a modem is generating an analog signal, hence needing an analog connection in order to work. When dialing a straight ISP over a digital connection, because of the mixed modes, the signal doesn't connect properly. The reason why QNC is supposed to work is at the VZW equipment, there is equipment to convert that digital signal before it reaches you...again, my understanding from various threads.

I'm inclined to agree it doesn't work as the few times I've tried connceting to EarthLink (My Travel Backup), I haven't been able to connect with the XV6600. It works fine through my v710, but the v710 also changes to Analog once connected. I'm also wondering if this is why I can't fax using the XV6600...no analog capabilities.
    Mobile Pimp: Fujitsu P7010D, Audiovox 6600, Playstation PSP, iGo Juice (70), Kingston 5gb PC-Card, SDIO Socket Wifi, Socket BlueTooth GPS, Socket CF BT Adapter, PNY 4 in 1 Memory Adapter.

I used to do this w/ my IPAQ and LG 4400, which also had Analog. I don' t know if it switched to that mode, but I do know that initaiting the call from the IPAQ would throw "DATA CALL" up on the screen.

"Cellular Line" sounds right, but I am talking theoretically, since I never tried to use the device as a modem.

Actually, wait a sec - I just realized what I did - I never configured anything on the PPC, and would use my old LG strictly as a modem, only setting up the DUN settings on the laptop. You're trying to dial out from the PPC itself, which may work differently (or not work, as BC said). My bad - if you're not using a laptop/pc to initiate the call, disregard anything I said - sorry for any confusion.
    -Lee
    Samsung i730
    Ridata 1GB SD Card, Transcend 4GB SD card, PPC Tech Audio Adapter

I think that the phone has to have a modem in it in order for you to be able to establish a data connection with an analog modem (dial-up line) you need to have hardware that's going to negotiate with it.

The Thera had a Seirra(sp?) Aircard built into it which would allow this functionality but the 6600 does not have a modem in it. Maybe there's an SDIO version that could work for you - don't know I haven't looked into it.