+ Reply to Thread

Is the built-in keyboard overrated or what?

How many people actually enter text faster using this tiny keyboard than the other methods? I can enter text faster with the stylus. Perhaps there is a learning curve involved. It seems like a novelty to me. It looks impressive, but is it useful.

It's as useful as you want it to be. I use it because I don't always feel like pulling the stylus out to write a message. It saves real estate on the screen. The more you use it, the faster your thumbs get. On the other hand, you could put some acetone on the edges of the keyboard, slide the face down, and never have to worry about your keyboard coming loose, if you don't want to use it. There are a lot of people who don't use it at all.
    VX6600woc
    because camera phones r so 2004

VZW XV6600
    I use it often for email or notes. Entering just a few characters with the stylus is fine but any more than that and I use the keypad. I found it to be much easier and faster to use once I got the Krusell case. The clear plastic cover really does make it easier to use for some reason (as noted in other posts). One thing I don't like about the keyboard is that multiple keypresses are required to access numbers and common punctuation or symbols. I wish they could have at least included a row of numbers. While typing I find it fastest to use the tumbs for text and the stylus for numbers or symbols. This is a bit odd using both but it is fairly fast when you get the hang of it.

It takes a little practice. I'm pretty fast with it now. Much faster than I ever was with any screen keyboard.

I am not sure about a "learning curve", but I am faster than I ever was with my Treo 600 keyboard. I use it all the time for email and texting.

I'm pretty quick with it. It took about 3 weeks or so of forcing myself to use it to get comfortable. Now I switch between that and the on-screen keyboard when needed. I can still type faster using the on-screen keyboard...but getting up there in speed.
    Mobile Pimp: Fujitsu P7010D, Audiovox 6600, Playstation PSP, iGo Juice (70), Kingston 5gb PC-Card, SDIO Socket Wifi, Socket BlueTooth GPS, Socket CF BT Adapter, PNY 4 in 1 Memory Adapter.

To be honest, I haven't used it much. I'm drooling over this though...http://www.msmobiles.com/news.php/3584.html
    "Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience."

I use it the same as wilee. If it's just a few characters, I usually just use the virtual keyboard. For emailing or texting I usually use the built-in keyboard, and I find it very usable and I'm pretty fast with it.

Depends on who rates it - The hype was in the slide out design - and I think that works very well. Allowing maximum screen size - as to how it types - you appreciat it the more you use it.

Get AIM and unlim EV.....no doubt keyboard roxors my boxors.
    More bars in more places are only good if you're an alcoholic

HOO HAA!

I find myself using the stylus and Block Recognizer more often, but then I've had IPAQ's and PalmPilots for a while, so I'm used to the Grafitti-style input method. I've tried using the keyboard, and have gotten a little better with it, especially if I make a conscious effort to look at and select from the predictive text options (I set the value to 3). It's still a little awkward when entering the shift+ or function+ characters, though...
    -Lee
    Samsung i730
    Ridata 1GB SD Card, Transcend 4GB SD card, PPC Tech Audio Adapter