+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thumbs up Orb XP Beta for live TV streaming works great!

For those interested in live TV streaming, Orb has released a beta for XP users. It took me about 45 minutes to set up, and I had no problems. I have a Diamond PVR550 tuner card with MPEG-2 hardware encoder, and a Sprint PPC-6601. Loaded the drivers for the tuner card. Then I installed the Orb software. I'm not sure if it works with satellite programming, I have Cox Standard and Digital Cable. Just logged onto www.orb.com from PIE from my 6601, and had access to all my cable tv programming in full screen landscape mode

Previous to this, I had tried to get live TV streaming to work with beyond tv and snapstream. Spent and wasted 4 days trying to get it to work. No luck. First the problem was that I had a hardware MPEG encoder on my tuner card, which was incompatible with beyond tv live streaming. Then I got an ATI all-in-wonder card. Couldn't get it to work. Read all the beyond tv and snapstream forums, posted questions, read everything in the knowledge database, and nothing but a big headache and an angry girlfriend for being obsessed for days with trying to get live tv streaming to work I know others have had better luck than I with beyondtv.

I've been trying orb xp for 2 days, and am satisfied so far. Video and sound quality is pretty good. If you get alot of buffering and sound staggering problems, you need to change the device connection speed manually on your ppc to a slower speed than orb originally automatically detected. Video quality will be worse, but the audio will be smooth. Ultimately, no one is more happy about this that my son. Now that he can watch NickToons on my ppc, he's alot less hyper in the backseat of the car. And I can watch ESPN in the car while waiting for my girlfriend out in the mall parking lot
    Last edited by vandoc; 02-15-2005 at 07:00 PM.
    E46fanatic

Never involved in a flame war! sputnik's Avatar
    this looks freekin' AWESOME

I was already way too excited about getting my XV6600 on Friday. Now I need to go out and upgrade my TV Tuner. Add in a BT headset, extra power adapters and a case, and this phone is worse than my crack habit.
    _______
    Spu|nik VZW Kyo 7135 / VZW XV6600 / Sprint Mogul / Sprint Touch Pro / Sprint Touch Pro 2 / Apple iPhone 4 / ???

Thanks.

I suffered through days of frustration trying to set it up as well with no luck. I have a Hauppage WinTV usb tuner.

I'll definitely check this out.
    "Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience."

Just my luck. WinTV USB is not supported.
    "Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience."

question: does Orb give you PVR functionality, or do you still need separate software for that?
    _______
    Spu|nik VZW Kyo 7135 / VZW XV6600 / Sprint Mogul / Sprint Touch Pro / Sprint Touch Pro 2 / Apple iPhone 4 / ???

Can you provide a walkthrough. I'm not able to find one on their site yet.

Originally posted by sputnik
    question: does Orb give you PVR functionality, or do you still need separate software for that?
    Yes it does! You have the ability to record live tv from your pocket pc. Basically, from PIE, you're logged into orb. Across the top you have 5 categores: TV, video, photo, audio, and web. You just click on the TV link. You will see a sub menu of : favorites, local tv listings, internet tv, scheduled, and recorded TV. You click on local TV listings. You will then see a complete list of all your programming, 23 channels at a time with the names of the shows. You click on the 2nd page, and it will show the next 23 channels and shows, etc. You click on the specific channel you want to watch or record, and it will show details of that show/channel. There you will see an icon to watch that show, or an icon to record. If you choose to record, it will record that show and store it under a folder called "shared documents/recorded tv" on your desktop hard drive as a windows media file. When you go home, just double click on that file, and it will be played through Windows Media Player.

I just did this tonight. I was stuck an hour from home, and I wanted to try to record the 2nd half of the Lakers game. Was able to initiate the recording from my PPC6601, and had it sitting on my hard drive tonight I will try to save some screen shots from my PPC, so you can visualize what I'm talking about.
    E46fanatic

Originally posted by maximum
    Can you provide a walkthrough. I'm not able to find one on their site yet.
    Do you have the USB version because you're using a laptop? If you have a desktop with an empty PCI slot, tv tuner cards are fairly inexpensive. I bought mine at Fry's for under $100, but there are cheaper solutions out there.

In a nutshell, first of all just download the orb xp beta onto your desktop. Run the orb setup install from the desktop and follow the prompts. Make sure your tv tuner is already installed. My tuner card came with Beyond TV software, but I didn't need to install it. I just installed the drivers for the tuner card. During the orb install, I believe it prompts you for your zip code, and pulls up a list of cable/satellite providers to choose for orb to use as a channel programming list. Don't remember exactly. It'll also scan your audio, video, and photo files from "My documents" folders. That's it. Just log on from your PPC browser to www.orb.com. Just log on, and you'll have access throught the browser to all your audio, video, photo, mp3, and TV programming. No need to install any additional programs to your PPC. That's about it Again, I'll try to save some screen shots from my PPC 6601 to give you a better visual idea of what I'm talking about.
    E46fanatic

Am I correct in assuming that you can initiate recording a show from the desktop, not just from their web interface?
    _______

Well I got it all set up and tried to watch an MPEG file from my XV6600. I kept on getting a message saying that my computer was not connected to the internet (go figure...maybe a dsl connection just isn't good enough).

I'll try it again tonight.

I'll give this a try as well---still trying to get BTV to work, but I'll try anything......
    Jeremiah 29:11

I've pretty much given up on BTV.

Originally posted by sputnik
    Am I correct in assuming that you can initiate recording a show from the desktop, not just from their web interface?
    Everything with Orb is navigated through a web browser. So if you wanted to record a program through the Orb interface, you would have to do it through your web browser on your desktop or pocketpc. Or purchase another software program (like BeyondTV) for PVR.
    E46fanatic

can you watch digital cable channels that rquire a cable box and can u changed channels of the cable box as well? i gues i'm 1 of the lucky ones who got beyond tv to work.

For some strange reason, every time I goto a channel it says "Windows media player cannot play this file". I have an ATI pci TV tuner with coax, any help would be great. Do I have to open any ports in order to stream TV?

Thanks
    Last edited by PDAnewb; 02-16-2005 at 05:51 PM.

Originally posted by gimpdog
    can you watch digital cable channels that rquire a cable box and can u changed channels of the cable box as well? i gues i'm 1 of the lucky ones who got beyond tv to work.
    Yes you can. Similar to Beyond TV, you need a IR-blaster to change channels. An IR blaster like that will run you about $50. During setup, it asks if you have a set top box, and checks if there's an IR connection.
    E46fanatic

Wow this sounds nice. I am one of the few who has gotten BeyondTV to work streaming, but they have officially dropped support for the PocketPC in their newer versions so I have no desire to upgrade them or send them any more money.

Is there a monthly fee for this?
    iPhone 3GS !!

Holy crap 9.99 a month? Will stick to my Beyond TV which is absolutely free.
    iPhone 3GS !!

Let me try again.... screen shots for those interested

Last edited by vandoc; 02-16-2005 at 07:37 PM.
    E46fanatic

At this point, I'd pay almost anything to get this working. Like maximum, I have a WinTV USB card. I hope I can get this working...
    Jeremiah 29:11

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast