+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Need Better SMS or Text Message Application

I need a much better application to send text messages. The Treo delivers it right -- right out of the box:

When you reply to a text message, it opens up a chat screen -- like AOL IM. Everything in the first message, your reply, and subsequent messages will forever be stored in that chat screen. All of this, of course can be done with one hand and you don't have to ever touch the screen. You can use one hand to manage the text messages. Hit a couple buttons with your thumb and your message is deleted or locked to prevent deleting.

I need something better on my XV6600. I know I have to use two hands but if I had a better application, I think I could live with it. I didn't see anything on Pocketgear for this phone but maybe I overlooked a winner.

Suggestions?
    iPhone 4S BB8830/Treo700wx/Treo700w/ XV6600/Treo600/Kyo7135

Hi Tech Trader
    Bump!

Agreed. If some talented developer could develop one application to better unify text messages like the above post described (i.e. like an IM chat, or like a treo), also have IM support, email, contacts (including lookup by INITIALS, like "b" then "s" for Bob Smith), contact and category ringtones and a simple user interface with ONE HANDED access, then we would have a true TREO KILLER and i would happily pay top dollar for the software!

yes, that would be very nice.

Re: Need Better SMS or Text Message Application

Originally posted by Beryl
    I need a much better application to send text messages. The Treo delivers it right -- right out of the box:

When you reply to a text message, it opens up a chat screen -- like AOL IM. Everything in the first message, your reply, and subsequent messages will forever be stored in that chat screen. All of this, of course can be done with one hand and you don't have to ever touch the screen. You can use one hand to manage the text messages. Hit a couple buttons with your thumb and your message is deleted or locked to prevent deleting.

I need something better on my XV6600. I know I have to use two hands but if I had a better application, I think I could live with it. I didn't see anything on Pocketgear for this phone but maybe I overlooked a winner.

Suggestions?
    hmmm i own a treo 650 and just ordered a 6600. The terrible SMS thing you speak of is really scaring me for I love the Treo's. Its a damn very beatiful thing.

Ditto this! I would love that type of app on my 6601
    LAK
    Sprint 6800/Mogul
    6700, 6600

I'm surprised that no one has developed one given how long these PPC phones have been around.

I think there are a few apps out there that do what you ask... I haven't tried any myself.... former Treo user here... I miss chat type sms too, just got used to doing it email style instead I guess.

EXSMS
    http://www.handango.com/PlatformProd...&txtSearch=SMS

The problem lies in the way the device stores SMS messages. They are all considered mail items within the pocket outlook mail store, so to build a chat-like application would be a bit complex. I suppose if it parsed out all of the messages from a specific number from the pocket outlook store it might work, but it wouldn't be "by conversation" but instead all messages within the pocket outlook store that were sent from that phone number... I'm sure something like this could be coded, I'm just too lazy and busy of late to do it, heh...
    Tom

Damnit man!! Get to work!!!!

Like I said, the above link is to an application that can do this already....

I have heard that app isn't very stable and causes problems with a bunch of other apps. Haven't tested myself, but that is what I heard.......... I will try it myself when I get a chance.
    LAK
    Sprint 6800/Mogul
    6700, 6600

Well, I know one of the issues, is related to the fact that you can't have Pocket Outlook running at the same time because it wants to grab SMS obviously, and thats stated in their instructions. Not that I am a proponent of the software... just stating that someone has already given it a shot obviously...

Yeah, even the only review for it didn't inspire me.

Maybe the Treo has spoiled me. I'd expect the app to work with the contact list and use the built-in keyboard. You have to manually save the messages? I don't think this is the killer-app I need.
    Good start - needs contact list integration
    A reviewer from Los Angeles, CA, January 18, 2005

"Works as advertised, and has tons of potential. However, there are a some shortcomings. The most serious one: it doesn't integrate with the PPC's built-in contact list. Every time you use the program, you have to input the destination SMS phone number manually! This is burdensome to the point where it affects the programs usefulness. Also, after using the app, all SMS messages are lost, rather than being stored (within Pocket Outlook would be nice). Also, many PDAs now have a built-in keyboards, so it would be nice if the entire screen had the option of being used for chatting, rather than ALWAYS being split by the on-screen keyboard. Finally, the app only allows the user to see one line of text as it's being inputted by the user. This is silly, considering SMS can be upto 160 characters - there is enough screen real-estate for this. Ultimately though, the app, with these improvements, would be fantastic."

d2tw4all, it time to get started workin on a new sms monitor chat version for the 6600! lol LOL

Yeah, we need someone to develope a better app, I gave it a shot too, and while it was an "attempt", this app just doesn't work well... sorry folks!

Originally posted by carlosmh
    d2tw4all, it time to get started workin on a new sms monitor chat version for the 6600! lol LOL
    Haha ya like SMS Monitor 2005 LOL! I don't see why any app would require pocket outlook to be closed, that's just silly, I would tap into the outlook mail store just like SMS Monitor did... At least the 6601 supports native SMS so I wouldn't have to go through the gymnastics that I did for the G1000. If I get time maybe I'll slap something together, but don't count on it as life's pretty busy right now...
    T.

Originally posted by d2tw4all
    If I get time maybe I'll slap something together, but don't count on it as life's pretty busy right now...
    T.
    hopefully whatever is keeping you busy pays you better than the $15-$20 I, if not most PPC users, would pay you for such a program...

Yea I hear ya Beryl. The Treo's SMS is simply fantastic. It's a very very beatiful thing. I want the 6600 but damn. Losing the Treo's SMS might make me want to return the 6600 (already in the mail) and go back to the Treo.

My boss sends text messages to me all day and I do the same to my reports. It was so nice to open up an existing thread to send messages to people I text regularly.

I hate to deter you, PDAshadow and other potential XV6600 users but here is another problem:

Unlike the Treo, Pocket Outlook won't let you use the email addresses for text messages. I used to send out urgent messages to my team -- some had phones and others had pagers that didn't accept SMS. Now I have to use only email and hope the SMTP server works well. I also have to add email entries for those who would have been able to receive SMS. This last thing is not cool because I have to know which phone service they are using!

The XV6600 is a really nice device but I'm missing Treo text messaging.

It seems like a S.M.P. though and someone could do quite well if they would develop this app.

I'm a total loser and I've been banned!!!
    compose sms to 6245
    in the body put
    user@host (subject) body-of-message

That will send sms through vzw's smtp gateway to an eventual smtp recipient.

Ehud