+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    boe

Sprint PPC6601 Firmware update?

Hello,

I saw a patch was already available for the Verizon model. Has anyone got any info on the 6601 firmware update?

Thanks
    Want better phone selection from Sprint? http://www.smartphoneforums.com/foru...ease-read.html

I have been wondering the same thing......... no one seems to know though.
    LAK
    Sprint 6800/Mogul
    6700, 6600

boe
    Seems strange - I thought the Sprint model was released first.
    Want better phone selection from Sprint? http://www.smartphoneforums.com/foru...ease-read.html

This is just a guess, but I'm thinking it's got more in it than the other units because of the "beep of death" issue that I'd imagine they are trying to fix. The other units didn't have that problem so I'm thinking the Sprint patch might take longer but again, this is complete deductive reasoning and I have absolutely no concrete evidence...
    Tom

Don't worry, guys. It should come out soon. Both the XV6600 and SX66 firmware updates came out. So, it's a matter of days now.

If you ask me, the one for the SX66 was a lousy update that not only did not fix anything, but made matters worse. 39MB download, 25 minutes installation, reinstall of all your apps, and all it did was put the BT3500 patch we already installed in the first place.

Hopefully the PPC6601 update will have more.

Sprint Said That There Is An Update (6601)

I was on the phone and in the store and back on the phone today(talking about BOD) and was told that there is an update for the 6601.....it came out yesterday. Now....if this works, is another story. I will do my best to keep everyone posted.

Crossing fingers,
    -Mike

edit> He said that the new ROM version is 1.9.0 Instead of the old version (1.29.00)

edit2> He informed me that this is an "in-store" update. Therefore, no download. Are we back in the 20th century or what?
    Last edited by mboliver; 02-22-2005 at 04:03 PM.
    I have enough trouble overcoming my own limitations without fretting over the fact that God hasn't seen fit to distribute evenly the gift of intelligence.

Let us know what you actually have them do it to confirm that they really do have it.
    Hobbes
    Writer for WMExperts.com
    www.wmexperts.com/ | www.wmexperts.com/reviews/ | discussion.wmexperts.com/

OMG... How FN hard is it to let us do our own damn update... Hell I would say 90% of us here know more about the phone then their techs!
    Cingular 8525

Originally posted by noodleNT
    OMG... How FN hard is it to let us do our own damn update... Hell I would say 90% of us here know more about the phone then their techs!
    No *hit... and I bet 99% of the stores, haven't even SEEN a PPC6600 let alone have the hardware to upgrade one.

This doesn't make sense to me... I think the sprint rep on the phone didn't know what they were talking about.

btf

Ditto! Keep us updated!
    LAK
    Sprint 6800/Mogul
    6700, 6600

Administrator
    buit its the 10 % that dont that wil mess it up for everybody else when they come in crying that they fried their phone.

its the same reason the cable companies have to come out and install the HD boxes.. sure most of us can hook them up, but its the others who dont know and who will call and complain and mess it up for everyone...

Originally posted by noodleNT

In other words those ID-ten-T errors that screw up the system!!!

(If you don't know what that error is....here's a little hint:
    Need another hint?........ IDIOT)
    Last edited by HobbesIsReal; 02-22-2005 at 06:07 PM.
    Hobbes
    Writer for WMExperts.com
    www.wmexperts.com/ | www.wmexperts.com/reviews/ | discussion.wmexperts.com/

OK....so I go to the store tonight that Tier 2 directed me to. I rearrange schedule to permit me to do this...NBD...they close at eight.

So, after a bit of jostling of the family plans I finally make it to the store. I walk up to the counter and let the lady know that I am there for an update to my phone..(holding it in my hand). She takes a look at it and says, "Is that a Sprint phone?"

Aaah the joys of dealing with minimum wage (at least I HOPE they are not paying her more that that) personnel.

After saying YES that it is a Sprint phone, she tells me that the tech support guy has left for the evening. 1 hour and 15 min before they closed. She then says that he often comes and goes...she has no idea of his schedule.

Yes, I did complain to Sprint....but I highly doubt that it'll do any good.

Anyway, tomorrow looks to be the day for the update....if the tech guy can find a way to fit me into his schedule...I hear the surf is going to be decent tomorrow.

Now I understand the rants about Sprint's service.
    I have enough trouble overcoming my own limitations without fretting over the fact that God hasn't seen fit to distribute evenly the gift of intelligence.

It's not just Sprint. I dumped them to go to Cinguar, and the GSM version of the PPC phone, but found that Cingular tech support people are just as idiotic as Sprint TSRs. No one knows anything about these pocket PC phones. You're better off hanging out here to get good info on updates, fixes, tricks, etc.

I'd like to know more about this as well, since tech support told me last night they hadn't heard anything
    Anything I say is mine. It is neither authorized nor endorsed by my employers or previous employers. Read at your own risk.

Well I had the update today. Painful at best....would be a description.

I go to the store and give them the phone. They proceed to try all types of cables...to no avail.

I run back to the house and grab the cradle.....bring it to them. He takes it....goes into the back and comes out about 20 minutes later and says, "The first time didn't take, but it is going along now...so go grab lunch or something and it'll be ready....like 30 minutes or so."

I go to lunch....30 minutes passes.

I come back and was greeted with a, "Do you have the power cord?" I reply that it shouldn't be needed because that it will charge without it. He proceeds to tell me that they are getting an error that won't let them proceed without the power cord. I then let them know (in a subtle way) that anyone with a phone like this....might know a few things about tech.....sooooooo he lets me in the back to see if I can help. (their first right move)

I watch one of the techs trying to load the info on the phone, and I ask about the error message. He says that they are indeed getting an error. Funny thing is....I didn't see it. He then lets me know that they are redownloading the patch from their intranet (actually he didn't LET me know....I saw what he was doing). Well, this whole time I am seeing "6600" listed as the patch. Hmmmm, I guess they know what they're doing (WRONG!!!).

He tries the patch again and receives the error message and he quickly closes it out. I ask if that was the error message and he confirms. I ask him what it said since he closed it out so quickly. He said that it needed a power supply. (lucky for me I read fast)...I then proceed to tell him that it said nothing about a power supply and that it referred to a conflict with the device. I then proceed to let him know that they have (for the past hour or so) been trying to install the wrong patch to my device.

Yep boys, you were one number off.

Well be forewarned....tell them what kind of device it is and bring your cradle (or othe cable....you know what I mean).

They couldn't tell me what was included in the upgrade, but the bluetooth setting are all at 3500, except the BtCeStack.dll is at 3601.

Oh and the ROM is 1.36.00.....not the 1.9.0 that the genius at Sprint told me....however, maybe I only received an old update.....to which I will have to repeat this maddness.

Somebody STOP THE INSANITY!!!

god damn... I am going to try some buisness clout and get the patch so I can do it myself.

Hows it working though?
    Cingular 8525

The update for the ppc6601 is out on the Audiovox site. Havn't tried it yet will be later tonight.

Link to audiovox

good luck! I asked the same thing and they said that they they don't have the capability......I even laughed at that as I typed it. Alsmost as loud as I did when he told me that in the store.

Anyways, everything is back up and running. Works the same as before, but haven't tried a bunch of things with the BT yet.....maybe tomorrow. Headset does pair fine....but then it did prior to the update.

Best of luck

Originally posted by Frizby
    The update for the ppc6601 is out on the Audiovox site. Havn't tried it yet will be later tonight.

Link to audiovox
    Thanks for the pointer.

From the filename it appears it has a 3600 version bluetooth stack?

I'll have to do it at home, with my power cable plugged into the usb. (Not sure if it matters, but I'm not going to risk it on a firmware upgrade).

btf