+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Anyone have a working VNC client?

VNCviewer simply does not work. When trying to connect, it quickly flashes a "cannot connect" message box and quits. Thoughts?

Chiropractors aren't real doctors. really fat kid's Avatar
    Same here. Same program worked beautifully on the G1000. Guess WM2003se isnt compatible.
    Chunk Style

I would agree with you if you were right, but the Palm OS is crap.

v3.3.2 works fine

worked fine for me too

downloaded the 2003 version from this site - http://www.cs.utah.edu/~midgley/wince/vnc.html - and it still simply quits. No password prompt, no error. It just quits.

Originally posted by aarong
    downloaded the 2003 version from this site - http://www.cs.utah.edu/~midgley/wince/vnc.html - and it still simply quits. No password prompt, no error. It just quits.
    Is the server you are connecting to a v.4.x version server? If so that is a known issue, and you have to set it to be v3.x compatible.

Known Issues:
    - VNC client is not compatible with VNC 4.0 server, unless the server is configured to provide 3.x VNC protocol.
    - FIXED: Password Dialog Box sometimes appears behind other windows.
    - When a connection fails, the error dialog box is shown briefly and then it disappears--it should wait for the user to tap (OK).

Originally posted by cybrwulf
    Is the server you are connecting to a v.4.x version server? If so that is a known issue, and you have to set it to be v3.x compatible.

Known Issues:
    - VNC client is not compatible with VNC 4.0 server, unless the server is configured to provide 3.x VNC protocol.
    - FIXED: Password Dialog Box sometimes appears behind other windows.
    - When a connection fails, the error dialog box is shown briefly and then it disappears--it should wait for the user to tap (OK).
    I really should read README's more often. thanks cybrwulf.

Heaven Bound

vnc for xv6600

Don't want to sound dumb, i copied vnc app from link and ran it on my ppc. used an ip address that i use frequently and it gives me a msg "invalid vnc server specified. server should be of the form host:display."

how do i change server config on my home pc? i looked around in my properties and could not see anything but set to use only 3.3 vnc?

please help!!

If you haven't changed anything on your home PC since your install you most likely need to type:

servername:5900

Also make sure you are connected to the internet on the phone before trying to connect to your home PC.

Hope this helps.

It doesn't want a port number, it wants a display number. Unless the host was installed in a way other then the default, it should be hostORip:0

Originally posted by fixn278
    It doesn't want a port number, it wants a display number. Unless the host was installed in a way other then the default, it should be hostORip:0
    Both ways work fixin, were both right......you can type

servername:5900 (meaning port 5900, display 0)

or

servername:0 (meaning default port, display 0)

I know a thing or two about VNC.

Originally posted by t_squared
    Both ways work fixin, were both right......you can type

servername:5900 (meaning port 5900, display 0)

or

servername:0 (meaning default port, display 0)

I know a thing or two about VNC.
    Well, both ways do work, but it specifically asked for a display number..

"invalid vnc server specified. server should be of the form host:display..."

Heaven Bound
    Sorry to bother you guys, but I guess I am the slow newbie. I have several different locations I have vnc installed. I normally click on my vnc viewer box to type in an IP address to the machine I want to access, then a password set on the machine and i am in with no problem. i have tried this with knowing i have a high speed connection on pda and vnc 3.3x. what am i doing wrong? or am i just way off? thanks for the help.

xv6600 using sd wifi card high speed
    Thanks for Your Kind and Courteous Replies

Originally posted by deval
    Sorry to bother you guys, but I guess I am the slow newbie. I have several different locations I have vnc installed. I normally click on my vnc viewer box to type in an IP address to the machine I want to access, then a password set on the machine and i am in with no problem. i have tried this with knowing i have a high speed connection on pda and vnc 3.3x. what am i doing wrong? or am i just way off? thanks for the help.

xv6600 using sd wifi card high speed
    You didn't say what was worng. Did you get an error? What point does it fail? etc...

Edit: I suspect you didn't try what anyone suggested. Instead of IP, type IP:0 as I suggested earlier.

Heaven Bound
    i have tried typing
    IP:0
    also
    as well as other suggestions, but i keep getting a quick flash on my pda screen (too fast to read) but no indication of a connection or error.
    Thanks for Your Kind and Courteous Replies

i have tried typing
    IP:0
    also
    as well as other suggestions, but i keep getting a quick flash on my pda screen (too fast to read) but no indication of a connection or error.
    Are you running 3.3.2? Older versions had an issue where the password box was put in the background.

Heaven Bound
    using 3.3.7 on all machines except 1. still do not understand how to change settings to accept 3.3.x protocal on the machine with 4.x. dont see anything like that to change. thanks for the help.

using 3.3.7 on all machines except 1. still do not understand how to change settings to accept 3.3.x protocal on the machine with 4.x. dont see anything like that to change. thanks for the help.
    OK, let me try this again...

Are you running 3.3.2 on the PPC?

Heaven Bound

Unhappy Still Going

Yes running 3.3.2 from link above for ppc 2003.

Originally posted by aarong
    I too have this same problem. I've tried two different viewers and even tried the data link active trick that someone else mentioned. With an active data link up anbd running the viewer will pause for about 20 seconds before it flashes the error message onto the screen. During this period, the "Active programs" screen does not even show the viewer as running.

Of course this all works fine on the cradle, I just cannot trigger the connection OTA.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Bob Duckworth