+ Reply to Thread

Outlook Web Access on 6600?

I am looking for a way to get into outlook web access via a pdaphone. I have a cingular sx66, which will do just fine over wifi, but will not connect to OWA over GPRS. It just gives me a "session timeout" error, which I have attributed to latency (look at me using the big fancy words!). However, I was able to do this while playing with a treo 600 in a sprint pcs store. So, I am wondering if anyone out there is using their 6600/6601 for this, thinking that maybe 1xrtt is fast enough while gprs is not?

some other details:
    1 company will not allow sprint biz connect, or enable pop3 access
    2 they do allow blackberries, but blackberries are no fun
    3 we don't simply log in to OWA like normal folk. I go through something called aventail, which requires one user name/password, a secure ID random number from my keychain doohickey, and another user name/password combo.
    4 i know it would work w/ verizon evdo, but that's too much $

anyway, does anyone know if i can do this with pcs vision, or would the latency issue be the same? I thought I read that 1xrtt is twice as fast as gprs.

I can tell you that I can get in on our Web based OWA page with 1xRTT on VZW. Of course EVDO makes it faster. However, we do not utilize the secure ID front end for the OWA access. Only UID and password. It's not much fun though. The OWA interface in a word, sucks.

Good Luck,

Bob Duckworth
    My cellphone is smarter than your honor student.

Bob, do you use P-IE to do it? I can't access oultlookmail exchange with that.

I think other people use thunderhawk or NetFront, but I read so many posts at so many forums my head is spinning now. LOL

I use P-IE and dont have any trouble accessing Web based OWA. There are times when I prefer using it because I can get to all my email folders since they are all not marked for replication.

Strange, I tried to access it using P-IE on both the PPC6601 and SX66. In both cases--->"web page you're looking fir cannot be found." But I'm looking at that same page on my desktop.

Is this the URL you use? Http://outlookmail.com

Edit: each company has a different URL on the exchange server. That is Coldwell Banker's OWA access page. But I'm wondering is there's a wap/mobile site. I'll call a friend
    Last edited by TonyH; 02-18-2005 at 08:31 PM.

Originally posted by TonyH
    Bob, do you use P-IE to do it? I can't access oultlookmail exchange with that.

I think other people use thunderhawk or NetFront, but I read so many posts at so many forums my head is spinning now. LOL
    I do use P IE and use the url https://email.XXX.com or our newer iteration https://webmail.XXX.com.

Like I said though, we don't implement the Secure ID front end on the web access.

You might check to see if yours is secured (https).

Bob Duckworth

Administrator
    thunderhawk renders OWA nicely... they have a trial if you dont want to pay...

Thanks, Marctronix. I tried TH on my PPC6601, and at that time several users, including me, complained it froze and slowed down. Perhaps it was the version available for download at that time. I'll give it another whirl to see how well it works for me.

I don't access OWA that much beause my mail is all consolidated in one account, but I'm one of those picky users who must have every thing working.

Originally posted by TonyH
    Strange, I tried to access it using P-IE on both the PPC6601 and SX66. In both cases--->"web page you're looking fir cannot be found." But I'm looking at that same page on my desktop.

Is this the URL you use? Http://outlookmail.com

Edit: each company has a different URL on the exchange server. That is Coldwell Banker's OWA access page. But I'm wondering is there's a wap/mobile site. I'll call a friend
    The default folder for OWA is \Exchange. If your company is running Exchange2003, there is a default WAP - \OMA (Outlook Mobile Access). I'm not sure if that was there in earlier versions of Exchange, or if it was included with MS Mobile Information Server.
    -Lee
    Samsung i730
    Ridata 1GB SD Card, Transcend 4GB SD card, PPC Tech Audio Adapter

I access our web outlook mail using PIE without any problems. We use username and password for access. I have an XV6600 on Verizon.

One problem that I have is that I told it to remember my password and when I logout and try to let someone else log in with their username it still remembers mine and logs me in. No one else can log into outlook web mail on my XV6600.

Originally posted by lmychajluk
    The default folder for OWA is \Exchange. If your company is running Exchange2003, there is a default WAP - \OMA (Outlook Mobile Access). I'm not sure if that was there in earlier versions of Exchange, or if it was included with MS Mobile Information Server.
    Yes, mine defaults to /exchange.

While experimenting I added "www" in front of "outlookmail", and now I can access OWA.

I still hafta figure out if it is OMA compatible because I have to scroll too much to read my email in full web view on P-IE.