+ Reply to Thread

PCanywhere 11.5 and sprint 6600

i have XP home and pcanywhere 11.5 on it and on sprint pc6600, when it is docked i can control my desktop computer (host) using 6600 as remote, but when i take it out of the sync charger and try it wirelessly it will connect but immediately disconnect saying "connection lost" i have a static IP on my computer and no router have a switch, i have disabled all antivirsus and have no firewalls. It makes the connection but loses it immediately. Any suggestions?

Club Pocket PC Louisville JohnBecker's Avatar
    I assume you are using your OUTSIDE IP address to connect to. If you don't know what that is, go to: http://whatismyip.com and try it with that address.

I've used PCAnywhere Mobile to connect to my machines (3 different ones) wirelessly, without trouble. I do have to get connected first, but after that, it's a breeze.

I don't recommend turning off the firewall, just open ports 5631 (TCP) and 5632 (UDP) for access to PCAnywhere. Also do not turn off the anti-virus.

Don't know if this makes a difference, but I'm using the Verizon XV6600 device.

John...tried the program this morning. I also have a static ip. Unfortunately, once I was in I had two problems: 1) the XV6600 screen was showing my computer, but unreadable. 2) All of a suddent I received an error message and the host was disabled, as the host wouldn't accept me again (I have to have someone reboot the computer on Monday). I have 10.5 on the host- do I need 11.5 there also and do I need to do any different setting than usual? Thanks!!

PCA Mobile will connect to earlier versions of PCAnywhere. I have connected to version 11 on a PC and also version 10.5.

1) As for unreadable, yes... it's tiny. Click the little - icon at the bottom. You'll zoom in. Under TOOLS, you'll see EzZoom and ezScroll. I have them both turned off. Same with Scale to screen. If you set your PC to a lower resolution, it will be easier to see in a full screen mode.

2) Sometimes PCA does get confused on the desktop. I've had to wait up to 5 minutes before connecting again. If you are disconnected, it will say it's busy. Sometimes it will not reset until the computer is rebooted.

I have been using PCAnywhere to administer computers for over 8 years. I'm so glad to see they've updated the PCA Mobile application for the newer devices. It's about time. The application does work. You might want to use Live Update to update the host machine (the PC) to get all of the current updates for that version. I have not tried to connect to any version earlier than 10.5, because that version is required for Windows XP. Windows 2000 requires version 9.2 or later. NT 4.0 will work with much earlier versions, but I am no longer running an NT 4 server to test.

One other thing many people don't know about PCAwhere. Let's say your network IP addresses are in the following range:

192.168.1.1 though 192.168.1.100

If you enter the IP address in the PCAnywhere box as 192.168.1.255, it will do a subnet scan and show a list of all of the machines running PCAnywhere. This is very helpful when you have one main machine setup on the incoming ports and need to access other machines inside the building.

Unfortunatly, this feature will not work on the PCA mobile version. However it does work with the desktop version.

Originally posted by JohnBecker
    I assume you are using your OUTSIDE IP address to connect to. If you don't know what that is, go to: http://whatismyip.com and try it with that address.

I've used PCAnywhere Mobile to connect to my machines (3 different ones) wirelessly, without trouble. I do have to get connected first, but after that, it's a breeze.

I don't recommend turning off the firewall, just open ports 5631 (TCP) and 5632 (UDP) for access to PCAnywhere. Also do not turn off the anti-virus.

Don't know if this makes a difference, but I'm using the Verizon XV6600 device.
    T

Thanks, I know my IP address of my home computer, and when I start the HOST up, it shows on my home computer that my IP address is ready to connect, but how do I open ports 5631 (TCP) and 5632 (UDP) ON MY HOME COMPUTER for access to PCAnywhere

ALso i have gone into network connections, tcp/ip, advanced and enabled TCP/IP filter and checked it and tried it that way and unchecked the enabling TCP/IP filter and tried it that way also with no luck. both ways I have checked TCP Ports and UDP Ports with access permited

thanks John!

My next suggestion would be to see if you can connect from another PC (outside of your home network). If you can't, then it's an issue with the PCA running on the host machine. I do not use TCP filtering. My router handles any blocking that is necessary.

I assume rhlitt got theirs working? hmm?