+ Reply to Thread

PPC6601/SX66 Backlight Dimming

I posted this in the XDAIII/SX66 forum, but received only one response concerning unit return/exchange. It seems I've heard this somewere here as well. So, I'm posting it in the PPC6600/6601/XV6600 to hear from others.

At first I thought it was something unique to my Sprint PPC6601, but now I see the same issue exists with the SX66. Therefore I concluded that it is a design issue that affects both phones.

The Backlight would dim (to the point where you can't read what is on the screen) under various conditions:

1. Battery removal and re-insertion
    2. After soft resets
    3. After hard resets
    4. Sometimes after inserting in the cradle
    5. Sometimes for no apparent reason

To restore the backlight brightness all I do go into settings->system->backlight ----uncheck and recheck one of the boxes. The backlight is okay after that.

While this is not too much work it still bugs me, and should not be like that.

One user of PPC6600 on SprintUsers.com reported the same thing. Also, I recall someone here in this forum reported it in the body of a different thread. I believe he had a XV6600

I've had the same thing happen with Jornada and Ipaq Pocket PC's. As I recall, it's a "feature" that is supposed to dim the backlight when the system detects a low (or no) main battery. It seems to me there's a setting somewhere that allows to set the battery percentage at which the backlight dims--it seems to me the default is 20 or 25 per cent.
    Mick

Thanks, Mick. Yes, it is a feature that we, new PPC comers, are not used to. LOL

Here's what Bob Duckworth posted in response to my post on Treocentral today:

Here's the secret power button code:

Quick tap - turns the screen and PDA off

Short Hold - Dims the back light, leaves the screen and PDA on

Short Hold with screen dimmed - lights the screen back up again - PDA still on

Read the manual??!! We don' need no stinkin' manual. Discovery and asking your firends - PRICELESS!!

Bob Duckworth