+ Reply to Thread

Going from kyo 7135 to xv 6600..Help

I am fed up with the lockups and limits of the 7135. Has anyone had both devices? How is the 6600 as a phone ? is it awkward ? Are there programs that easily let me transfer data into windows format? Is this a good phone for someone that uses alot of minutes? I love the 6600 with EVDO, but I am worried about phone function. Any help would be appreciated.

I almost got the 7135 (my 6035 was dying) but decided to go with the 6600 and I'm very glad I did.

I heard a lot about the problems with the 7135 which put me off with getting it.

I had the same concern about the 6600 being a good phone and I can say it's every bit as good or better than my 6035. I love this phone/PDA.

If you get the 6600 you can try it out for 15 days ...

EVDO Options vs Sprint

Ok. So the 6600 is out at verizon and sprint. Now lets figure out where is the best place to own the phone.

Verizon has a 79.99 plan with a card, can that be used to cover the pda as well or do you use your pda as a modem and pay the 45.99 fee.

or
    do you stay with sprint with this phone

Converged. It didn't even hurt! tuckeyr's Avatar

From 7135 to 6600

I JUST made the leap from the Kyo 7135 to the XV6600. There is a bit of a learning curve..... windows and Palm are very different. I switched platforms because the 6600 gives me better access to my office network.

If you've been syncing the palm to Outlook using Chapura, you'll find the switch to the 6600 pretty easy. Some other palm-based software you might miss a little.

The only downside I've felt with the phone functionality is the lack of analog on the 6600. The signal inside my house is awful and the Kyo managed to keep me in touch... I'm having a little more problem on that score with the 6600. However, when I have a good signal, the voice quality is very good and I've been happy with the switch.

Tuckey

I went from a Treo 600 to this device but I had a 7135 for 18 months prior to getting the Treo and kept using it whenever my Treo died. The 7135 is still a TERRIFIC Smartphone.

However, my 15 days ended Saturday and I'm keeping my XV6600. It is a great PDA which also functions as a phone.

Here is why -

-- I am not married to any OS and I like the idea of taking a trip to the Dark Side for a while.

-- The screen is great! I enjoyed it more as my Bible in church today than I did with my Palm. The Treo 650 has a high res screen but it is small. The big screen does have its advantages.

-- Multitasking didn't mean much to me until today. I could jump from PocketBible to OliveTree Bible to Notes, to the EI (to look up the lyrics to Cleveland's "Peace Be Still) and back without exiting anything. I never had enough memory to keep all of those programs up on my Palm so I used PowerRun which would have to start each time I went from app to app.

-- BT is very cool. I like not having to find a headset. I like leaving my Smartphone in my purse and walking around without having it tethered to me. (Of course you can get that with a Treo 650 too.)

-- You'll like the advantage of upgrading to a newer OS -- even if you choose a new Palm device. Shoutcast is cool and even better on the 6600 than it was on my Treo 600. You also can't hear Audible books on the 7135's older Palm OS. Watching movies on the thing is pretty cool too on long flights.

-- The Palm OS really needs to get its act together and handle timezones better. I should not have to use Datebk5 to have my appointments alarm properly when I travel and use Wireless Sync or similar products.

-- My PIM data ported over fairly well but not perfectly with Wireless Sync. "Main" and "Other" phone entries were ignored and lost. Fortunately, I had the information and could manually add them back into the contacts.

There is no need to sugar coat my experience though. Here is straight poop about what I don't like.

-- The phone part of the 6600 leaves much to be desired. Like everyone says here, it is a PDA first and then a phone. There are ways to make the 6600 more phone-friendly (BT and Voice Command) but that is going to take some work. It is not like Voice Command comes with the phone like on the 7135.

-- There is a lot of software out there for the PPC but it doesn't come close to what you can get for the Palm and most of the time it'll cost more. You'll likely find a replacement for most of your favorite packages but you might not find everything. Many PPC users just don't know what it is like to have a PDA that isn't a little laptop so the software isn't "there" yet for some x-Palmers

I wish someone would create a site which lists PPC alternatives for popular Palm apps.

Note: I'm looking for a replacement for JFile - a simple flat-file DB program. Right now I'm using Pocket Excel to view the data. (FYI - I didn't like MobileDB on the Palm and don't like it on the PPC.)

-- You'll not be as disappointed with SMS as Treo users but if you do a lot of text messaging, you'll want a replacement for it. There isn't anything out there really yet.

-- They don't exploit the 5-way navigation very well. It is hard to NOT have to pull out a stylus. You had to use a stylus a lot on the 7135 so this won't be much of a change for you.

This post was not to discourage you from getting a XV6600 but I think you should hear both sides of it so when/if you get the device, you'll concentrate on how to resolve these things if they are important to you.
    iPhone 4S BB8830/Treo700wx/Treo700w/ XV6600/Treo600/Kyo7135

I went straight from a 6035 to the xv6600. I'm getting used to PPC. I do have to say I like it better than Palm in some ways, less in others. The biggest thing about PPC that I don't like is the lack of apps in comparison. One thing about the xv6600 that I'm beginning to miss is not having hard buttons to press for the #'s. I have to look at the phone when I'm dialing a speed dial now, where as before I didn't.

But honestly, the phone is nice, I like it a lot and don't regret changing over. BTW, if you used your minutes with your 7135 for data access (MOU), they most likely will not transfer that feature over to your new phone. I couldn't find any rep. that would do it.

More converged than ever!
    Shellc - I went from 7135 to 6600 2 weeks ago. I am 100% satisfied with the move. It took me a several days of dedicated work to set up the 6600 with all the things I wanted to do but it has not disappointed. The BT setups are daunting, but mostly work well. The other thing I hadn't planned on is that I spent as much on accessories as I did on the 6600. Mine included a belt case (only a slipcover in the box), upgraded leather case from SenaCases (out this week), MS Voice Command software (A MUST!!! - I CAN NOT drive and dial this phone without it, and the recognition is unbelievable - and nothing to set up like the 7135), a couple of game software programs, Pocket DVD Studio software to convert movies and TV shows, spare battery (also a must), retractable synch cable, car/home USB charger (from Boxwave), BT Mouse (ok, I splurged - but no keyboard ... yet), and would have gotten a BT headset but the one I used with the 7135 works fine. I feel like I need a diaper bag! Yet and still ... it does it all. The envious looks and comments from the Flight Attendants last week while watching Guys and Dolls was worth it.
    Used to be a Kyo fan, anyway. A "Smartphone" user since adding a modem card to my HP95 Pocket Computer (1992).

I went from Kyocera7135 to Treo650 to PPC6601 to SX66 in a matter of 6 weeks. Somebody stop me, please. LOL

This PPC phone family (SX66, PPC6600/6601, XV6600, XDAIII, etc) is truly much more capable than the Palm OS based devices. The integration of applications and phone is awesome, despite the fact that the phone itself is somewat inferior as far as voice quality, volume, and ease of use as compared to the Kyo7135.

The journey has been fun. I'm not sure what I'm going to settle on, but it will be a PPC device; maybe the new and not yet available HP HS6500. What do I miss about Palm? The ease of hotsync and auto backup, mostly. But now I've got Sprite backup premium to make me less homesick

Never involved in a flame war! sputnik's Avatar
    I just switched about 6 hours ago. I'll let you know how I feel about the phone tomorrow, but I'm still getting used to the new OS.
    _______
    Spu|nik VZW Kyo 7135 / VZW XV6600 / Sprint Mogul / Sprint Touch Pro / Sprint Touch Pro 2 / Apple iPhone 4 / ???

I went from a Kyo 6035 to a 7135, had multiple defects over 12 months and went back to a 6035 for almost 6 months, then in July 04 switched from 6035 to Treo 600.

Had a few defective screens, but it was a much better phone than the 7135. After hearing about the Treo 650 memory issues and having returned a Tungsten T5, I was plannng to live with the Treo forever.

Got the XV6600 4 weeks ago, and I finally decided to put the Treo up for sale on ebay yesterday. The XV6600 is a keeper. I do miss the easy one handed use of the Treo, and the "chat-session" like SMS, but the screen and speed and bluetooth on the XV6600 make up for it. I still have a Palm zire 72 as backup, which fills my need for a small camera, and I can use the XV6600 as a modem for the Zire now!
    Larry Ganz
    http://www.jesusreigns.org
    John 3:16

Thank you everyone who have replied. I definitely want the XV 6600 or the unreleased samsung i730 (similar phone,smaller footprint) but I am thinking about getting a hardwired car kit with a used V60 motorola to use when I am behind the wheel. I have had bad luck with parrot blue tooth car kit and many installers say the bluetooth kits are not as clear. I'll keep checking the post for more imput. Chris

Switch from Palm OS

With my Kyocera 7135 dead, I am considering the XV6600 from Verizon. Is there any easy way to transfer my hundreds of contacts, schedules and memo notes from the Palm desktop to the pocket pc system?

http://www.sync.com/is_desktop_main.html

But if you sign up for yahoo you can get intellisync for free. Then sync your palm desktop to yahoo, then setup a sync to the pocket pc.
    AT&T Jailbroken Iphone 3G 2.2

When I had my Kyo7135 I used to sync contacts with Outlook. So, the migration did not require anything. I still activesync with outlook.

Ivan's idea is good, unless you already have outlook on your desktop and it has all your contacts. In tis case you're set to go.

Intellisync

Thanks Ivan. I had no idea I could do that with Yahoo. I've had an account for years but haven't explored what it does. I did a sync from my Kyocera and it worked good. Afew dropped records but repeated sync's got it going.

Haven't decided on a new phone yet but this tool really expands my horizons.

Thanks for the information about Yahoo. I'm planning to check that out. My sister did the same thing with uReach.

After much trial and error to get my company address book to this device, I found Tony's suggestion to use Outlook a good one. Too bad POutlook doesn't support all of the same fields as regular Outlook though. Outlooks has "manager" and "profession" fields. I had to define those as "custom" fields on my Palm.
    iPhone 4S BB8830/Treo700wx/Treo700w/ XV6600/Treo600/Kyo7135