+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

PPC Bible Software

I noticed that a number of you use some form of Bible Software on your PPC. Can you please give some recommendations ... what you like about one or the other.

I can only afford one so want to get a nice one. I have a tendency to buy a few pieces of software before I find the one I like

Thanks

Hi Jazz!

I really like Laridian.com and have quite a few of their Bible versions. Give um a try...

I know some people like Olive Tree, but for me if you want to utilize the many options (search etc), Laridian can't be beat (IMHO)
    "Put on God's whole armor, that you may be able successfully to stand up against the strategies and the deceits of the devil"

Ep. 6:11

Laridian gets my vote too. I've used their Pocket Bible for years.

I use Olive Tree and generally like it. I've never used Laridian, Olive Tree was less expensive so I went with it and am satisfied.

I've always used both on my Palm and do the same on my PPC. I like the notes you can keep on Olivetree but prefer the interface of Laridian.
    iPhone 4S BB8830/Treo700wx/Treo700w/ XV6600/Treo600/Kyo7135

VZW XV6600
    I am using the free Pocket e-Sword bible reader which is awesome. Many bibles available on their site free as well. I know some programs might have a few fancy features but when you get right down to it, text is text and they all read the same. e-Sword does have nice search and nav features too, I really like it and can't think of why I would spend money on any other program.

I tried Pocket e-Sword bible reader after I upgraded my XV6600 and was getting errors so I never got to try it out.

I sent the errors to the author but haven't heard back yet. Maybe it's something simple he can fix.

I have used that version on my PC and it's great.

Jim

VZW XV6600
    I just upgraded my XV6600 a few days ago and have been using e-Sword on it ever since. No errors during install or usage, and I have already started through Genesis on my next attempt to read the entire bible in a few months.

It amazes me that the program is free - such nice and talented people out there, including those on this forum.

Best of luck.

Laridian Pocket Bible is the way to go. Get Bible Knowledge Commentary and Zondervan's Bible Study notes and you'll be pretty equipped.

They do also have the NIV on M$ Reader but I would avoid that one.
    "Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience."

I have Laridian, and have Pocket Bible with NIV, NLT, NKJV, MSG, KJV, AMP and Life Application NT Commentary. I also use their daily reading program, which has plans for NT, OT, whole bible, psalms and proverbs. I also use their Memorize program, in which you can put your favorite verses or verses they have. I also have the Romans Road eTract handy in case I need it. Can you tell I like Laridian?

I have the eSword for my PC, but haven't tried it on the PPC. Maybe I should, but I am so happy with Laridian. Plus, eSword doesn't have the main translations for the PC, and I imagine it is the same for the PPC.

Can't say enough about Laridian. Program is nice, books store on the SD card, easy installation. You can create notes with a passage (although no underline or highlight yet for PPC version). You can look at 2 versions (or a version and commentary) at once, copy verses for Notes (I use Phatnotes), and it integrates with the memory program and daily reading program.
    Jeremiah 29:11

PPC6600 ROM=1.36.00 Ext=1.36.113 MannieBothans's Avatar
    Thanks, this thread is very helpful. I was going to go with gmpsoft but I'll give laridian a spin.
    Just switched from PPC6700 to AT&T Tilt.

I hope that gmpsoft works for you.

I have been using Laridian with several bible versions for years now and IMHO it is an excellent tool. I am using it for BSF again this year.

Another vote for Laridian Pocketbible. The only problem I have is whipping out my PocketPC in church... sometimes I get weird looks from people thinking I'm playing with my pda . Some don't realize that they have bible programs for these pda/phones
    E46fanatic

Originally posted by vandoc
    Another vote for Laridian Pocketbible. The only problem I have is whipping out my PocketPC in church... sometimes I get weird looks from people thinking I'm playing with my pda . Some don't realize that they have bible programs for these pda/phones
    I know of one case where a couple saw me using mine and asked me about getting one for their daughter who had a learning disability. Whatever their need was, it was nice to know that seeing me use mine may have ended up being of some help to them. Since then I don't feel shy at all about using it in church.

I've used gmpsoft bible with you on my old kyo7135 and now on my xv6600. I like it a lot, but have not tried laridian before. I have NASB and ESV versions, but you can get many other translations as well, including the Greek NT. Also, if you have the right plug ins, you can click on a word (w/ strongs references) in the text and a little popup of the greek or hebrew will show up with the meanings. It has a very quick interface for looking up passages, and the concordance seems to work well. very intuitive and efficient interface for me anyway.

Does Laridian enable you to copy and paste into pocket word?
    I have an older program that does this and allows me to create bible studies on my PPC. no need to retype bible verses. Also, gracetoyou. org (Dr. John Macarther) will download free daily devotionals when web syncing through avantgo.

Been using free- Pocket E-Sword. No errors and no problems. Have ESV which is hard to find on some other platforms. For those not familiar ESV (English Standard Version) is the latest essentiallly literal translation. Anyway have that RSV, NASB, and KJV with a couple of commentaries up and running. The e-sword allows you to compare all the translations you have loaded side by side...VERY nice feature IMAO.

"Don't tell me what it means, tell me what it says"

Tom
    TOM
    VZW XV6600
    Do not meddle in the affairs of sysadmins, for they are subtle and quick to anger.

I use quickverse PPC Bible software and like it, have not tried anything esle though. How does quickverse compare?

I use Pocket Quickverse (http://www.quickverse.com/shopfiles/....asp?ID=41146C) and it is an extremely excellent product. I switch to once SL Software Bible CE wasn't properly supported on the lastest Pocket PC OS. Another thing I like with Pocket Quicken is that it intergrates with the desktop version.

You mean QuickVerse, not Quicken right? I can't seem to find Moses or Jesus in my Quicken...

I switched from SLSsoftware's CE Bible 2.1 to Laridian because I have CE Bible running on another PPC. I also have Laridian on my Palm OS device.
    Larry Ganz
    http://www.jesusreigns.org
    John 3:16