+ Reply to Thread

Question Return PPC-6601 in exchange for new PPC-6600?

I've had my PPC-6601 for about 10 days and love it. Of course it has it's foibles just like any other new technology. In particular I'm seeing:

- Beep of Death - just once, but that was enough!

- Occasional pairing problems with my Jabra BT200 headset - it usually works just fine, but once in a while it'll lose pairing completely and I have to soft reset. Also I've noticed that if I turn the headset on first, then Bluetooth, volume on both the PDA and phone side is MUCH reduced. If I turn Bluetooth on first, then the headset, both volumes are normal and plenty loud.

- The phone turns itself on pretty often, especially with Bluetooth turned on. This has been commented on before, hopefully a new Bluetooth stack would fix this.

My questions - does the PPC-6600 definitely ship with the 3500 (or greater) Bluetooth stack? What are people's experiences with pairing and random power-ons? Has anyone heard the Beep of Death with a 6600?

The camera is a non-issue with me. I had convinced myself that I'd rather not have to give up my phone in a "no cameraphones" situation, but honestly I've NEVER had to worry about that. On the other hand I probably wouldn't use the camera that much anyway.

So what's the experience with the 6600 so far - is the firmware that much better?

Thanks,
    TM

The PPC6600, from what I've read, has BT stack build 3500. Hobbes reported the ROM and other versions as follows:

ROM (Software Version): 1.36.00 WWE
    ROM Date: 1/13/05
    Firmware (Radio Version): HA00_140
    Protocol: AAA3.3.301
    Model: PH20A2
    Hardware: 0041
    PRL: 10025
    Date Manufactured: 31 Jan 2005

AND.....

BT Ver 1.0 build 3500
    All BT Modules are 3500, except BtCeStack.dll is 3601

Administrator
    if you dont want or need the camera, then the 6600 is not for you. its the same exact phone as the 6601, and if you think you may be in areas where cameras are not allowed, then this phone wont work for you.

Got the 6600 Friday and I was using the 6601 which would turn on by itself with the bluetooth on and the Beep of Death would happen, and also some times the headset would not connect. So far with the 6600 no Beep of Death, the bluetooth doesn't turn on the phone if you have the bluetooth on the phone. I even left bluetooth on the phone and left the headset in the car went shopping and came back, got a call and the headset went to the phone very nice. Also used the bluetooth to connect to my Toshiba Tablet and it stays connected until you disconnect also very nice for backup because my work gives me the Verizon card which has EVDO. I hope Sprint enables EVDO soon that way I can compare and if there's not much of a difference then I can have them cancel Verizon Card one less thing to carry.

Thank You BoD

I am eagerly awaiting my 6600...they are exchanging the 6601 for the 6600...I thought I would never say this. Thank god for the BoD!
    PPC6600
    HBH-660

Staceman they didnt give you any problems over different models? I would love to exchange my 6601 for a 6600.
    iPhone 3GS !!

Nope. I complained about the BofD...after some searching, tech support said that it was in their system as a known issue, but with less than 1% of phone users. I asked if I could get a replacement, she said yes ( I have only had the phone for 3 weeks, I was still in the mfg warranty. I then called the business sales dept. and told them it was a known issue with the 6601 and not with the 6600, so could I "get one of those instead?" She said yes and is sending me a replacement with a return for the 6601. I think alot depends on the rep you get and whether they think you are just trying to exchange the phone. I was really having an issue with the BoD (it happened twice this morning and twice while I was on the phone with them) and they were sending me a replacement bc I was in the mfg warranty of 30 days.
    PPC6600
    HBH-660

Ok, today while I was out today the phone turned on by itself while it was in the case and actually called someone - I guess the case was pressing the screen in just the right spot. I also had some pairing problems because I left the headset in the truck when I went into a store - it lost pairing and I had to turn everything off, then back on in the correct sequence to get it all working again... kind of a pain.

I called Sprint and they're shipping a replacement and return kit. Thanks everyone for your thoughts...

TM

Originally posted by SpineDoc
    Staceman they didnt give you any problems over different models? I would love to exchange my 6601 for a 6600.
    All you need is a couple of long phone calls,complaining about the unit you have. You will probably be connected to retention, and offered an exchange for the unit of your choice.

tmartin31,

It's unlikely a defective unit. WHich headset you using.
    The case that comes with it should be chucked.

I'm pretty confident the unit is fine... just dated firmware causing known problems.

The headset is a Jabra BT200 - the version sold with an adapter for use with non-Bluetooth phones. I was fairly surprised that it paired at all. The way it pairs with the 6601 is workable, but drops at annoying times - I've had several incoming calls drop during transfer, which forces a scramble for the unit and a less-than-ideal conversation.

I agree the case should be chucked - it's the original case that shipped with the unit. The issue isn't the case, but the fact that the unit randomly turns on. It could have just as easily done the same thing (random outbound call) sitting in my jacket pocket.

I'm interested in seeing how the updated firmware in the 6600 does. Sprint was delighted to make the swap for me, and I'll gladly spend the hour or two after it arrives moving my data and programs over.

How's BT build 3900 working for you? Any major improvements?