+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

IGuidance Map Loading Problems

I am attempting to load multiple maps onto my PPC-6600. I have the bluetooth i.Trek GPS. I have a Scandisk SD 1 GB card. I CAN load the Colorado map onto my SD 1GB card with no problems. I am trying to load Colorado, NY, Virginia, Texas, Mississippi, and Louisiana and it gives me an error. It works until it asks the 2nd CD. I put the 2nd CD in and it works for a minute and then gives me and error "ifodix.bin" cannot be written, abort, retry or ignore. My PocketPC freezes and I have to do a soft reset. I do NOT have IGuidance running on my pocketPC and my IGuidance software is installed properly on my PC. Seems like there is a problem when transferring large amount of maps (these states i am trying to transfer is 370 meg)?? I have NOTHING on my 1 GB card so space is not the problem. I have a support ticket into inav but not sure they are around today. I have tried ActiveSync 3.8 and 3.7.1 and it does the same thing on both. I am running XP SR2.

Any one had this same problem or have any suggestions/ideas?

Of course I am traveling tomorrow to these sites and would really like to have the maps for them!

Thanks...

I had a similiar problem at one point. I can't remember it exact .bin error I got, but it sounds just like what happened to me.

I finally just removed the program and then reinstalled it and everything worked fine.

Someone else may have a better remedy, but that is something that worked for me

Thanks, but I tried that (I should have mentioned it). I removed and reinstalled on both the laptop and the PC.

I have just installed the PC version on my other computer and tried to sync, and I got the exact same message at the same spot. "Error writing dest file ifodix.bin" and pocketPC locked up.

Any other ideas?

I had the same problem. After multiple communications with iNav that did not yield a solution I figured out a workaround. Generate the map data to you hard drive and then copy that folder over to your SD card.

Haven't had the problem myself. Did notice the iGuidance FAQ had some similar sounding issues.

Q: When I try to load more then one state onto my PDA it refuses to load more then a single state.
    A: The most likely problem is that your PDA is running out of on-board ram. One solution to this is to load different maps onto different SD or CF cards, so you can just pop them in and out, and the software will only load that subset of map data.

Q: Why can't I add additional states onto my PDA when there is enough space?
    A: The map loader is unable to add additional states. The solution is to select every state you would like on your PDA, not only the additional ones you would like to add, and re-load your PDA with every state map you would like.

here

Thanks Juandoe, I did read those on the FAQ site and none apply to me. It is giving me errors not letting me load multiple sates.

PPC1026, I really appercaite your feedback. Your work around worked. I had some trouble coping the 370 meg of maps to my SD card but worked through that and it now works.

Sure would like to know why the inav software has problems. I am going go follow up with them on my support ticket when they contact me.

Thanks!

only had it for a few days so far. iGuidance has locked up my xv6600 a couple of times requiring soft resets. Have you guys had any trouble?

I have only had mine a few days as well but have not really had to do soft reset. I have noticed that sometimes it is slow in getting the GPS signal but once it gets the signal seems stable.

I do wish it had more display options such as Altitude, ETA to destination, speed, and a few things like that on the main nav screen (or at all).

I will be using it extensively this week while on business travel so we shall see if I like it.

Wolf_Racer, another approach, if you have an SD card reader on your PC, is to load the maps directly onto the SD card (I use a Sandisk Cruzer).

Also news from INav:
    V2.0.2 will be released mid March and will have much better bluetooth connectivity, vga and landscape support, 4 map color themes by default, single-click navigation from POI icon, longer distance routing capability.

more map loading trouble

Just got the new 2.1.1 version DVD iguidance and i.trek. Have been unable to load any map, let alone, multiple maps. have tried copying the dvd to my hard drive, and installing from there, generating the map to the C:\ and then copying the map portion directly to my SD card, consistently get missing files, etc. when copying and always get missing 'linkinfo' when i try to open up iguidance on my xv 6600. Been less than an easy or impressive experience with iguidance after all the praise here. have also tried to contact their tech support. Any thoughts??

Ive got 2.1 and have had no problems at all, but I havent used it much. Just curious, are there any worthwhile upgrades from 2.1 to 2.1.1, I see they offer a free upgrade but it involves physically mailing the old DVD back to them. Worth it?
    iPhone 3GS !!

wish i knew

i wish i could give a report on 2.1.1 but i cant get the thing to load to save my life so i'd b inclined to keep what works. did u have to go thru any of the 'tricks' listed on the inav website to get your maps loaded??

Wow...I tried to post this about an hour ago...and my post is not there! Weird.

Anyways, I had a different error once...but with the same results...cannot load the maps. It has to do with having a previous installation leave traces of itself behind and confusing the Map creating utility. I contacted tech support and they were really fast with their response. Here is what they said:
    The "invalid or missing" error you got indicates you have either installed the map unsuccessfully or the maps aren't installed at all.
    When you perform an uninstall, please follow these steps to make sure everything is uninstalled completely.
    Assuming you loaded iguidance program to both your ppc and laptop, and map was loaded to your laptop and ppc SD card:

For PPC:
    1) use file explorer to locate "inav" program and remove it (or use add/remove program feature from your ppc)
    2) use file explorer to locate "map" directory from your SD card and remove the entire directory

For laptop:
    1) use control panel and add/remove program to remove iguidance main program from your laptop
    2) locate c:\\inav iguidance folder (where your map files are stored) and delete the entire folder

Now load your iGuidance CD and reinstall the program.

You may also load the entire CD content to your laptop and load your maps directly from your HDD.
    To do this:
    1) Please copy the directories \CD1 from iGuidance Installation/Data Disc 1 and \CD2 from iGuidance Data Disc 2 to the root directory of C: drive on your laptop and/or desktop (i.e. C:\CD1 and C:\CD2).

2) Please remove any CD from the CD-ROM drive before running the MapLoader again. The MapLoader will automatically find the files from C:\CD1 and C:\CD2 directories.

Your may delete the CD1 and CD2 directories after all the maps have been loaded successfully.

Thank you.

Support Team
    I hope this helps, as I am totally lost (litterally) without this on all my business trips.
    Hobbes
    Writer for WMExperts.com
    www.wmexperts.com/ | www.wmexperts.com/reviews/ | discussion.wmexperts.com/

To all:

I have the same problems loading certain files. I've had the problem undeniably with the lsr.bin file and sometimes with the ifodix.bin. The way around it is this:

Use a card reader if available and create map to the card reader.
    Or create the maps to the PC and use a Bluetooth file transfer (not the Bluetooth ActiveSync) to transfer the problem files. Use the USB connection to transfer all files except for the problem files. The USB connection is faster that Bluetooth. If you use ActiveSync to transfer, you will get disconnected every time.

INav is aware of this and they suggest the card reader. I suggest Bluetooth if you have a Bluetooth adapter on your PC. They are inexpensive and can enable you to use higher speed internet access through Internet Connection Sharing. Forego a WiFi card if you want high speed in your house. The range is not as good as WiFi.

Geek
    I had this happen as well. I simply reinstalled the software (remove/reinstall that is) and did a format of my SD card (windows quick format) and all was well again.
    Dan Kunz - XV6600

Originally posted by SpineDoc
    Ive got 2.1 and have had no problems at all, but I havent used it much. Just curious, are there any worthwhile upgrades from 2.1 to 2.1.1, I see they offer a free upgrade but it involves physically mailing the old DVD back to them. Worth it?
    Here is their email to me announcing the new upgrade:

We are releasing the following 2 new versions of iGuidance software. Please note that only registered customers w/ valid proof of purchase will qualify (customers who purchased directly from iNav Online Store do NOT need to submit proof of purchase since we already have your purchase record on file).

-V2.0.2:
    Release date: 4/1/05
    Cost: free of charge + $14 shipping/handling fee ($17 to Canada) to ship CD media (file size too large to post online as download)
    How to order: register online and provide proof of purchase (if haven't done so), then submit payment via http://www.inavcorp.com/upgrade/free_update.html
    Who is it for: v2.0.2 is an update released ONLY for customers who purchased v2.0 or v2.0.1 but do NOT need to upgrade map (if map is needed, order v2.1 instead).
    What changes: v2.0.2 has all the same application enhancements as v2.1 but NO new map (see features listed under v2.1 below)
    -V2.1:

Features:

New N. America map (including expanded Canada coverage but excluding Alaska)
    Bug fixes for map routing along eastern coastal states
    Improved bluetooth connectivity
    Enhanced memory management to allow longer distance routing
    VGA & landscape support
    Full screen mode for laptop (full screen for ppc is already available on v2.0)
    4 pre-defined map color options
    Enhanced 3D view
    Real time weather report (internet access required via LAN, BT, mobile phone, WI-FI, etc)
    3 CD’s (map size approx 2.3GB)
    Release date: 3/21/05
    Cost/How to order: $79 discounted upgrade for existing customers w/ online registration & proof of purchase (http://store.yahoo.com/inavcorp-store/iggpssov2upf.html); free for customers who purchased v2.0/v2.0.1 between 1/22/05 - 3/21/05 (http://www.inavcorp.com/upgrade/free_upgrade.html)
    Who is it for: existing customers looking for new map upgrade (esp. expanded Canada area coverage)
    Special sneak:

iGuidance Europe
    Limited quantity of European edition will be released and sold through iNav online store and its U.S. authorized resellers in the U.S. ETA date: Q2/2005.

Thank you.
    Customer Service
    www.inavcorp.com
    Hobbes
    Writer for WMExperts.com

Thanx Hobbes. Those are the specs for 2.1, not 2.1.1, yeah I know, confusing.
    iPhone 3GS !!

Oh...sorry, you are right. There was an newer release just after that. Gotta go check out the specs for the second of the latest releases now!
    Hobbes
    Writer for WMExperts.com

Geek
    I wonder if the problem is fixed?

I know I had issues like this and the above post from me fixed it in less than 15 min. I also now use the SD card reader to move the map files to my SD card. Took WAY to long any other way.
    Dan Kunz - XV6600

map loading work around

Thanks to all those who provided feedback to get my maps onto the pc. I ended up trying the card reader option first and created the map to that E:\. Worked flawlessly. Wish they could've mentioned that on their website or in the manual. It wouldve saved be multiple hours and some sanity. Program looks great once installed.