+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    XDA III Architect

Talking Instructions for installing the "DISCONNECT Button" for PCS Vision DATA!!

For all of you looking into setting up a disconnect button for Data, here is how to do it:

1. Dowload this tweak from the following website: GB Soft Tweak

2. After downloading it into your PPC6600, open the file using file explorer and double-click the CAB file. It will install automatically.

3. Don't worry about the following Error: .. WILL NOT WORK WITH THIS VERSION OF WINDOWS.. blah blah..!!

4. The Software should be loaded under Settings -> System -> GB-Soft Tweak. Click on it to run.

NOTE: This is what I used for my XDA II - T-Mobile. Since T-mobile is on GPRS, i don't know if it will work with 1XRTT data technology. Therefore ...

5. Go into Settings-> Remove Programs -> and remove GB-SOFT Tweak.

6. Soft Reset, once back up -> Tap on Radio Signal, Connect to Vision and whoala -- you will see a disconnect button while the Vision is ON!! Hit disconnect to turn it off and return to your phone.

PS: This will NOT turn off your radio!!

Also, this has been working fine with my device. If you are to receive an error, not my problem!! But post it online and maybe some of us could help you out!!

BTW, just in case .. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE IF THIS TWEAK SOMEHOW MAGICALLY KILLS YOU PPC66xx!!

Enjoy the tweak,
    K
    Last edited by thePhoneGuy; 02-21-2005 at 04:06 PM.
    [a] abort, [r] retry, [g] get a beer!!!

I'm a total loser and I've been banned!!!
    If it's for GPRS it won't work on the CDMA phone.
    All it needs to do is change
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\ControlPanel\PhoneExtendFunction\CDMA\FlightModeSwitch to 0

This has been covered in *numerous* threads.

Ehud

XDA III Architect
    Oh.. well!!! Sorry for that.. this is what happens if you don't use the search function..

I don't know how this thread got locked. I want to try to keep this open to see if this works as I have received numerous emails regarding this post. There is a member who has tried this on a CDMA device and says it works. So I want to give that member a chance to post the instructions and it might be beneficial to all members here if it works...
    Funny it worked.....the last time! Now I am not sure what was working before they put a hole in my head !

I'm the member that equus is referring to. Not much for instructions: just install the app from the link posted by thePhoneGuy and get a working disconnect button on your CDMA Harrier. Haven't tried any of the other features, those might be GPRS specific. Also, I didn't uninstall it and just left it on my XV6600.

BTW, Ehud: I typically enjoy your quick barks and put downs (especially at newbies that ask the same questions over and over without searching first), but in this case perhaps instead of jumping on someone who wants to share some valuable info, you may want to do some homework first. I for one don't need to change the FlightModeSwitch reg key as I have the Verizon model that features that behavior by default. I know many are annoyed at the inconsistent amount of time you need to hold down the end key and would appreciate having the disconnect option that this app/hack provides. I certainly am one of them.

George

Good hack I didn't know about already (not that I know everything). Thanks PhoneGuy.

Thumbs up GB-Soft works on my sprint 6600

This is great. I set it to add a disconnect button and a timer.

Works good.

I just copied the .cpl into the windows folder as suggested on the web site.

Good Luck...Brad

Worked once. Now I don't get the disconnect or hide buttons no matter how much those are checked.

I suspect it's registry settings somewhere...

Any ideas?

E

XDA III Architect
    Great to see that the hack is working for you guys.

Ehud - After I read your post, I checked my registry for the setting, where you had said ..

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\ControlPanel\PhoneExtendFunction\CDMA\FlightModeSwitch to 0

But, mine is set to 1. I don't know if that helps!!!

Regards,
    K

1 means the end button puts you in flight mode.
    0 means it shuts off the data connection.

E

Ahh, so I think it's more useful to have it do that (i.e. set to 0 can control your data session) since there are other ways to control flight mode. Cool, thx.

Administrator
    yeah do the reg tweak . it will put a close option in the bubble...

While I love this option on the bubble. I hate that it turns off the internet connection when the phone power button is toggled. I have the setting GPRS Always On enabled, yet it still turns off the Vision. I am using a PPC6601 and I've run it through debugging and can't find what is sending the Disconnect command to Vision.

Any ideas? Thanks.

Can you figure out what the Control Panel tweaks? I am not a Windows guy... but if someone can dechiper the registry entries this thing makes ("flags2")?

E

I saw the entries, but as far as I could tell, I've toggled them in alternates and nothing has changed. Maybe I've misinterpreted how those flags are raised?

XDA III Architect
    Originally posted by Darth Pooh
    While I love this option on the bubble. I hate that it turns off the internet connection when the phone power button is toggled. I have the setting GPRS Always On enabled, yet it still turns off the Vision. I am using a PPC6601 and I've run it through debugging and can't find what is sending the Disconnect command to Vision.

Any ideas? Thanks.
    It would be my understanding that the GPRS functions of the GB Soft Tweak might not be compatible with 1xRTT technology of CDMA!!

ON the other hand, with my XDA II, GPRS Always-on Bubble helped keep the connection "ON" even if there was no actual transfer of packets!! By default, GPRS was designed on XDAII to turn off when there was no activity. That is not the case with Vision. Vision stays dormant if there is no activity but does not DISCONNECT.

Also, GPRS was disconnected anytime the power button was toggled. Maybe there is a hack to changing one of the registry settings to disable the feature!! I might do some research into this to see what i can find out.

Just my 2 cents!!

Regards,
    K

Administrator
    vision will disconnect after a long time of inactivity... there is a certain time out time.. but if you do any data this time will 'reset'...

This works for Sprint's ppc-6600 and has saved me battery life tremendously.

No ill effects so far, that I can tell, also, it seems to auto disconnect when you turn the display off which may or may not be cool.

Correct. I cannot uninstall this app now... therefore, it is actually counterproductive to me, it is shutting off my data connection and closing out my AIM connection when my device turns off by timer or toggle. I have checked the reg flags... no dice there. I am just wondering if anyone has been able to disable auto disco of vision. If not, looks like a hard reset is up and coming.

Originally posted by Vikes98
    This works for Sprint's ppc-6600 and has saved me battery life tremendously.

No ill effects so far, that I can tell, also, it seems to auto disconnect when you turn the display off which may or may not be cool.
    For me, not cool, unless pdaapps releases a working Verichat program, where I would not be dependent on Vision but rather SMS. Grrrr...