+ Reply to Thread

Unhappy Adobe Acrobat and XV600--particularly poor match?

I certainly never expected tremendous battery life out of this device, and figured that for my needs (not really a generally heavy cell phone user, and someone who likes to play around with gadgets like the PPC functionality, this phone would be a lot of fun. I'm now finding though, that my battery life (mediocre at best when I first got the unit) has taken a nose dive. I can now sit and watch my battery power go down practically as I breathe, when using the SBP app. While I hate to start accusing third and fourth party software, without all the facts, I feel like my device really decided to become a power drain when I installed Adobe Reader. (I had read about it being a resource hog in another thread, but the idea that it might also be a power hog as well was new to me. After all, I have Tweaks 2K2 installed so these apps, including the suspect Adobe, should be shutting down, not merely minimizing upon being closed.

Against my better judgement, I allowed Adobe back onto my Device, but did shut off "Beam" which I'm told takes up a lot of overhead in running these devices. I doubt I'll have much need for it, so no great loss. Besides that, I'm running nothing out of the ordinary: the afore-mentioned Adobe, BetaPlayer, Spb PocketPlus, Tweak2k2>NET, And AvantGO (one channel only, just for slashdot I can keep up on the flame wars.

Nothing really intensive seems to be going on here and yet the barely mediocre times I was getting between charges when I started have given way to really poor times now. I'm wondering about getting an extra batterty (or two or three, or perhaps one or two of the extended batteries if they're still available--I know some of them are backordered.

bte, I haven't yet flashed this with the new firmware either, Does anyone think that might help me at all with some of these other ongoing problems? I could install from scratch the apps I really want (don't have that much going on in there yet in terms of data that I mght miss in an upgrade), SKIPPING the suspect Adobe for a while and see how we do with that. That may be my best solution for now. Particularly interested in those who have had similar issues with Adobe running flaky on their XV6600s or similar.

btw, is it possible that the leather case from EB is part of the problem, limiting access to the antenna? Just a thought...Thanks for any replies.

Instead of acrobat, you might want to try the clearvue programs. They work great.

Administrator
    if acrobat is graphics intensive, that will cause an additional load on the procesor which in turn will use more battery power. also, if you keep the screen brightness on whilst reading, that will certainly kill the battery. couple this with the always on wm2003 OS and you will certrainly need an additional battery.

Thanks for replies..I was thinking more along the lines that Adobe Acrobat on my particular device was something like certain programs on Win98 or earlier platforms where they would hog resources when in use, and then not give them back up when not in use. That would have tended to be a perfect analogue to my problem--i.e., install and start using Acrobat, and then even when not in use, the system runs slow.

In practice, turning off beaming seems to have helped a bit. I still feel like I've gone from poor (though not out of the ordinary) battery life to truly horrid--perhaps it was always poor, and I was too giddy about my new toy to really notice how bad the situation was. But at least I now have a prayer of making it through a day on one charge. Now I just have to figure out if I want to get an extra battery, and if so, which size.

Unhappy Not Very Acrobatic

I can't even get Acrobat to run correctly.

I have flashed the new ROM image, and every single other program has been reloaded and works correctly.

So I added Acrobat. (Did not have it on before the ROM update.) It is not working. Either it simply re-boots, or it hangs when I try to run it.

Any suggestions??????

Don't even think about it....

I had Acrobat running after I updated the ROM. I installed a few programs and it still worked. It was only after I installed Voice Command that it stopped working. I have read on other threads that people went back to Acrobat 1.0 with good results but I haven't tried that yet.

I have had good success with the ClearVue Presentation software for viewing power point. I may just have to try out their pdf viewer. Free is always a better price but $9 isn't bad.
    AT&T Jailbroken Iphone 3G 2.2

You were correct. I unloaded 2.0 and got an old copy of 1.o from downloand.com

It works just fine.

Thanks.

Oddly enough, since the rom update version 2.0 now works fine.

As for the battery life issue, the culprits are for the most part your screen brightness and wireless connectivity.

1. Lower your screen brightness to something that's workable but low enough to keep your battery going for a longer period of time.
    2. Cut wireless connectivity unless you need it.

3. Also, I guess it wouldn't hurt to kill programs running in the background that you're not using.

4. If you can, get an extended battery. Lion battery will have the corrected 2200 mAh batteries in sometime in march.
    "Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience."

I have adobe 2 installed on my memory card and it runs perfectly with my old rom. weird.
    Larry Ganz
    http://www.jesusreigns.org
    John 3:16

And mine won't run either off my storage card or from the program folder, with either the old rom or the new. Weirder still.

I run Resco Explorer, Microsoft reader, 1-Calc, 1-Pass, the newest ver of ActiveSync, Resco Photo Viewwer, and Finger Clix.

Nothing else strange.

BTW....how is Acrobat 2.0 supposed to help me? What does it do that 1.0 did not?
    Last edited by carlhartmann; 02-25-2005 at 01:41 PM.

I think 2.0 doesn't make you convert the files when copying to the device - at least that is how the one for palm 1.0 works.

I had never tried acrobat for the pocket pc but it seems to open native pdf files, unlike my palm version.
    Larry Ganz
    http://www.jesusreigns.org
    John 3:16

I think that's true--I have some pdf formatted ebooks written in non-English languages which use accent marks. Adobe for Palm does not render the accented letters correctly. My experience with the PPC version is that the accented letters are rendered as they should be.

That's sort of why I was disappointed that the program itself seems as if it doesn't work well with the XV6600. Oh well....