+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

PPC-6600 Outlook Email

Hi. I just got the PPC-6600 and love it so far. I have a question about the Email Messanging program...my main email account is an msn address. Is there anyway to setup this program to access that email? I tried going into new accounts, but it only has options for POP3, and IMAP4, whereas Outlook on the PC also has a http webmail option....

If not, can this be configured to check my hotmail/msn email via outlook?

Last question, I didnt get the sprint business connection only the professional pictures pack...does this matter?

(I already know how to configure Outlook Express to download my Hotmail messages.
    My quesion is, on the PPC-6600 in Messages, under Add New Account, it has POP3, and IMAP4 only, whereas Outlook Express
    on a PC also has an http webmail option for checking hotmail.
    I cannot seem to find this option on my PPC-6600...So how do I accomplish this same thing through my phone?)

Izymail works pretty well for me. Here's the link:

http://www.izymail.com/

Also, you can access you Hotmail account from this page using Pocket IE and it's free.

http://mobile.msn.com/pocketpc/

Just received this via e-mail. Izymail might not be such a good idea.

Dear MSN Member,

Recently, Hotmail® announced that in order to improve customer experience and reduce spam and junk e-mail abuse on MSN® services, Hotmail will no longer allow new e-mail accounts to be accessed via Microsoft® Office Outlook® and Outlook Express.

We are pleased to inform you that because you are an existing and valued customer, at this time your current Hotmail and MSN account(s) are exempt from this restriction and you will be able to continue enjoying access to those accounts from Outlook or Outlook Express. However, any new Hotmail or MSN accounts you create will not be accessible via Outlook or Outlook Express.

Because you actively use Outlook or Outlook Express to access one or more of your MSN Hotmail or MSN e-mail accounts, this could be the ideal time to consider subscribing to our powerful new
    e-mail service - Microsoft Office Outlook Live.

As an Outlook Live subscriber, not only can you get uninterrupted access to your MSN e-mail accounts from Outlook, but you will also enjoy many other benefits.

As a thank-you for your loyalty to MSN, we'd like to offer you a 25% discount off the regular price of a year's subscription to Outlook Live. Sign up by April 19, 2005, and you can enjoy all your first year's benefits for just $44.95 instead of $59.95*.

Administrator
    are you using MSN or hotmail? there is a bookmark in PIE to get hotmail email. if you use MSN (msn.com) email, you can certainly set it up in the phone... i use @msn.com email NOT hotmail...

Originally posted by icanhearunow
    Just received this via e-mail. Izymail might not be such a good idea.

Dear MSN Member,

Recently, Hotmail® announced that in order to improve customer experience and reduce spam and junk e-mail abuse on MSN® services, Hotmail will no longer allow new e-mail accounts to be accessed via Microsoft® Office Outlook® and Outlook Express.

We are pleased to inform you that because you are an existing and valued customer, at this time your current Hotmail and MSN account(s) are exempt from this restriction and you will be able to continue enjoying access to those accounts from Outlook or Outlook Express. However, any new Hotmail or MSN accounts you create will not be accessible via Outlook or Outlook Express.

Because you actively use Outlook or Outlook Express to access one or more of your MSN Hotmail or MSN e-mail accounts, this could be the ideal time to consider subscribing to our powerful new
    e-mail service - Microsoft Office Outlook Live.

As an Outlook Live subscriber, not only can you get uninterrupted access to your MSN e-mail accounts from Outlook, but you will also enjoy many other benefits.

As a thank-you for your loyalty to MSN, we'd like to offer you a 25% discount off the regular price of a year's subscription to Outlook Live. Sign up by April 19, 2005, and you can enjoy all your first year's benefits for just $44.95 instead of $59.95*.
    FYI...I got this notice as well, but then a couple of days later, it worked just fine...has happened for me and 2 of my clients...
    PPC6600
    HBH-660

Marctronixx -
    Yes I use msn email, so how do I set this up in the phone?

icanhearunow -
    I would think this is more of a reason to want to use Izymail if hotmail is cripling its OE support, unless they programatically prevent Izymail from working anymore..

Administrator
    have you set up any other account in the phone?

the servers for msn are:
    pop3.email.msn.com
    smtp.email.msn.com

check the box "outgoing requires synchronization"

i have had msn for over 5 years and i have used them in all of my ppc and palm phoens...

Originally posted by icanhearunow
    ...Hotmail will no longer allow new e-mail accounts to be accessed via Microsoft® Office Outlook® and Outlook Express...
    Goodbye Hotmail, hello Gmail.

Thanks for the try, but unfortunately this doesnt work for me. I have an MSN address and setup the email account exactly as you mentioned below, but it doesnt work...I suppose I'll pay Izymail $10/year and see if that works since I'm running out of options. You would think Microsoft would allow their own web email accounts to be integrated into their own Pocket OS.

--------------------
    have you set up any other account in the phone?

the servers for msn are:
    pop3.email.msn.com
    smtp.email.msn.com

check the box "outgoing requires synchronization"

i have had msn for over 5 years and i have used them in all of my ppc and palm phoens...
    ------------------

smithray...hang tight..

MSN has been having server issues for hte last 2 days and there are known issues with msn accounts, especially through Outlook...contact their tech support about any issues before you give up...
    PPC6600
    HBH-660

Administrator
    it works well if you set it up properly. as i sais, i have a msn.com account and have it working with no problems on my 00. can you tell me exactly what steps you did? did you check the outoging server option, put your username in right, etc...

Originally posted by smithraybd33
    Thanks for the try, but unfortunately this doesnt work for me. I have an MSN address and setup the email account exactly as you mentioned below, but it doesnt work...I suppose I'll pay Izymail $10/year and see if that works since I'm running out of options. You would think Microsoft would allow their own web email accounts to be integrated into their own Pocket OS.

Thanks for the replies thus far. Once thing I didnt do was when I typed in my username, I did not add the @msn.com
    to the end of my username. I dont know if that matters, but I'm going to give it a try
    Before I try it though, I need to confirm something -
    Once I get it working and it downloads my emails, will it delete them off my MSN server? (because I definately do
    not want that)

Can anyone confirm if setting up MSN POP3 and retreiving emails from your MSN account will result in the emails being effectively deleted from the server?

Administrator
    no it wil not delete from server. you MUST include the @msn.com on your username.

Great, and hopefully last question

Will it also download all of my folders and emails inside those folders? Just wondering because I have alot of folders and saved emails...

IzyMail says it supports IMAP4 which they say is better than POP3, I dont understand what the difference is and if its worth paying $10/yr...I'm new to this but learning.
    Last edited by smithraybd33; 02-25-2005 at 02:36 PM.

Originally posted by smithraybd33
    Great, and hopefully last question

Will it also download all of my folders and emails inside those folders? Just wondering because I have alot of folders and saved emails...

IzyMail says it supports IMAP4 which they say is better than POP3, I dont understand what the difference is and if its worth paying $10/yr...I'm new to this but learning.
    IMAP4 will download the folders. POP will not. Deleting email from the Inbox will not remove them from the server. Moving them to Trash will. This is my experience with Hotmail. Maybe someone can confirm MSN is similar.
    Last edited by icanhearunow; 02-25-2005 at 10:34 PM.

Administrator
    if you delete msn mail or send it to trash it will not remove them from server. hotmail is web based, msn is not.

Originally posted by Marctronixx
    hotmail is web based, msn is not.
    Can you clarify this?
    PPC6600
    HBH-660

First post...hope this is a help.

I had a similar desire and was able to find a utility called HTTPMail Provider that acts as an add-on to Pocket Outlook. It allows a Hotmail user to download his/her e-mails through the Pocket Outlook program, rather than having to log into MSN Mobile.

I found it at PocketGear at the web site:
    http://www.pocketgear.com/software_detail.asp?id=9539

Its a free trial, then less than $7 for registration. Works well for me (even let me d/l all of the files I have in other folders through a "synchronize folders" function.

My only caution is to follow the installation instructions exactly as you fnd them on the PocketGear site. You won't be using a "real" web address for the POP/SMTP servers, only the word Hotmail. Otherwise, I had no problems.