+ Reply to Thread

Goodlink 4.0 Released Today (2/22/05)

FYI. All those that use Goodlink. There are new versions available for the server, management server, console and client. http://www.good.com/download

We are holding out a day to see if there are any problems. I can't wait though!!!

News Letter:
    Dear GoodLink Customer:
    We are excited to let you know about the release of GoodLink 4.0, an upgrade to your existing GoodLink software. Customers may download GoodLink 4.0 at www.good.com/download.

Some of the specific features and improvements available with GoodLink 4.0 include:

Secure Over-The-Air (OTA) Management enables zero IT-touch installation and upgrade of GoodLink and all other mobile applications, as well as central control of all handheld settings and policies. We believe that Secure OTA Management will bring about dramatically lower TCO for wireless fleets.
    Global Connect provides connectivity with any GPRS or CDMA carrier around the world. Global Connect allows us to serve our customers based in virtually any country in the world.
    GoodLink Hosted Edition enables full support for GoodLink via Hosted Exchange providers, giving enterprises an on-demand, hosted version of GoodLink.
    Additional Handheld Support including two new handhelds, the Verizon Audiovox XV6600 and the T-Mobile MDA III, both supported today. Within a few weeks we will also release GoodLink 4.0.1, a Pocket PC-only release, supporting the Symbol MC50 and the Dell Axim X50, two Wi-Fi Pocket PCs.
    Additionally, GoodAccess 1.5 is now available. GoodAccess is a separately licensed product that provides wireless access to enterprise applications like CRM (e.g. Siebel, salesforce.com, etc), ERP (e.g. Oracle, SAP, etc.), databases, and intranets. It is supported on Palm OS and Pocket PC devices. Please visit http://www.good.com/index.php/products_good_access.html for more information about GoodAccess or contact us at sales@good.com.

We appreciate your business and support. Please do not hesitate to contact customer support or your Good sales representative with questions or feedback.

Sincerely,

Sue Forbes
    VP of Product Management and Marketing
    Good Technology
    Cingular 8525

Ah, well then here is another FYI. If your GL 3.x server detected that your handheld's serial number as "ESN: (10 digit phone number here)" then you may have to recreate the account. When I tried to update the client, it would not recognize it because it thought that the serial number was different. I guess, GL 4.0 server now correctly recognizes the ESN Hex. In short, I confirmed this issue with a Good rep and had to reprovision the device. Good news is that I set it up with OTA and it worked great!

Just the Pocket PC phones right? Only us IT nerds have the Pocket PC the rest of the company uses Treos.
    Cingular 8525

"Additional Handheld Support including two new handhelds, the Verizon Audiovox XV6600 "

That isn't new, I have been running it for months already on the 6600 and it works fine.

noodleNT: Yeah, just the pocket pc phones.

Anyone having issues with it yet?

Thinking about upgrading today.
    Cingular 8525

Nah so far so good. Let me know how enabling OTA for current users works out. Do they need need to reprovision their devices?

CHillin..

Nope, no reprovision. Push the upgrade out to the phones from the Good Management Console and they do it all OTA, which is working magnificently

Originally posted by GoodGuy
    CHillin..

Nope, no reprovision. Push the upgrade out to the phones from the Good Management Console and they do it all OTA, which is working magnificently
    What I want to know, is there any way to disable the Goodlink password screen? It's a total PITA on every possible level:

1) I HAVE to use the slide out keyboard with it. Any attempts to use the stylus keypad makes it think I entered a bad password.

2) even bringing it up causes a bad password attempt.

3) It has no increased functionality whatsoever over the standard password screen on the PPC-6600, and since I can use that one with one hand and the on-screen keypad, it's actually much LESS functional.

In general, I like the idea behind goodlink, but the implementation, even in the 4.0 version on my 6600 is suboptimal.

I already have an address book, one that is far more feature - rich than the goodlink version, and works better with Outlook 2003. So for Goodlink to now make me keep two separate address book implementations in sync increases the amount of work I have to do, instead of decreasing it.

The same for the calendar and the rest. It seems to me, that on models with a superior, or at least equal implementation of the Good programs, that Good would want to use the existing implementations, instead of duplicating them. It's just more work for the customer to have to deal with that.

I have email accounts that are not Exchange accounts, that i use on my phone, and I'm pretty sure i'm not alone here. So Goodlink's assumption that I only will ever need Exchange just annoys people.

Finally, it's rude, from a UI POV, to make anyone think you've deleted existing applications. Bad coder, no doughnut.
    above all else, do no harm
    Goodlink is a great application for my environment, but Good needs to stop with the "We know best, do what we say" attitude that I get from their software. Work with existing features before you arbitrarily replace/hide/ignore them, and you'll have a happier customer base. Be as invisible as possible.
    John C. Welch Writer/Analyst
    Bynkii.com Mac and other opinions
    jwelch@bynkii.com

Originally posted by bynkii
    What I want to know, is there any way to disable the Goodlink password screen? It's a total PITA on every possible level:

1) I HAVE to use the slide out keyboard with it. Any attempts to use the stylus keypad makes it think I entered a bad password.

2) even bringing it up causes a bad password attempt.

3) It has no increased functionality whatsoever over the standard password screen on the PPC-6600, and since I can use that one with one hand and the on-screen keypad, it's actually much LESS functional.
    That is implemented by your IT department and is not a default setting. It is not required to run the application.

In general, I like the idea behind goodlink, but the implementation, even in the 4.0 version on my 6600 is suboptimal.

I already have an address book, one that is far more feature - rich than the goodlink version, and works better with Outlook 2003. So for Goodlink to now make me keep two separate address book implementations in sync increases the amount of work I have to do, instead of decreasing it.

The same for the calendar and the rest. It seems to me, that on models with a superior, or at least equal implementation of the Good programs, that Good would want to use the existing implementations, instead of duplicating them. It's just more work for the customer to have to deal with that.

I have email accounts that are not Exchange accounts, that i use on my phone, and I'm pretty sure i'm not alone here. So Goodlink's assumption that I only will ever need Exchange just annoys people.

Finally, it's rude, from a UI POV, to make anyone think you've deleted existing applications. Bad coder, no doughnut.

Goodlink is a great application for my environment, but Good needs to stop with the "We know best, do what we say" attitude that I get from their software. Work with existing features before you arbitrarily replace/hide/ignore them, and you'll have a happier customer base. Be as invisible as possible.
    I appreciate your feedback and understand your frustrations. I am not on the development side, so i can't speak to the reasons behind "swapping" for existing apps other than the fact that we made a concerted effort to have the same UI across operating systems (Palm and PPC) and in order to achieve that continuity, we changed the app.

If your getting a prompt everytime you start goodlink for a password that is a setting your IT depart turned on. It can be disabled from the Global Policies. I decied too that it is a PITA for users and it would just fustrate them with little improved security.
    Cingular 8525

Goodlink Question

Question for anyone using Goodlink and Verizon vx6600 -

Can data for the Goodlink programs (GoodAddress, Goodcalendar, Goodinbox, GoodNotes, GoodTasks) be inserted using the stylus and Transcriber or must you use the keyboard?
    (In the Treo 600 the only input method is via the keyboard).
    Thanks for your help?

Converged
    I use the transcriber or the keyboard to enter my data into Goodlink. Goodlink seems to accapt any method of input available on the 6600.
    Cigular 8125

If you don't mind I would like to expand this thread a tad and ask a question about Goodlink.

I've heard of Goodlink before but never looked into what it is. Can someone here give me a brief intro into it and what it does?

R

Converged
    Goodlink is like the Blackberry Enterprise Server on steroids. It syncs your Outlook folder wirelessly. It pushes all changes, mail, calendar, tasks, etc. in real time from or to the 6600 - or whatever device you have Goodlink installed on. Unless it's changed, the Blackberry only pushed email all of your contacts, etc. had to be manually sync'd when connected to you PC. Goodlink esentially does away with ever having to connect to your PC. The only time I connect to my PC is to install new apps that don't have CAB files.

By the way, it works so well, that several times I've received the email on my 6600 before it makes it to my Inbox on the PC.
    Cigular 8125

Ok, went and looked up Goodlink and went to their website. Interesting product, lots of information EXCEPT for pricing. When a website gives everything put price information I always find that a little scary.

Anyone using Goodlink here? If so, what service level are you buying and what is the cost?

R

Still no Domino support.
    iPhone 4S BB8830/Treo700wx/Treo700w/ XV6600/Treo600/Kyo7135

Is anyone using the POP push email service from them? Just saw that they were offering this service for those without an exchange server on Dave's Ipaq.
    Curious if anybody is using it?
    LAK
    Sprint 6800/Mogul
    6700, 6600