+ Reply to Thread

SD Chip Soft Reset Required?

I use a couple of different SD cards, including a Sandisk WiFi. It seems I need to do a soft reset after changing SD cards. Is this normal or should I be doing something different?

Club Pocket PC Louisville JohnBecker's Avatar
    Just make sure you close any applications that may be running from the SD card before removing the SD card. The device will automatically turn itself back on when removing or inserting a card. That's normal for that device. My Jornada 568 did the same thing.

Sometimes, it may take a moment or two before the new card will be recognized. If it doesn't show up, then do a soft reset.

I'm been trying to figure this out. It turns out aI *always* have to do a "soft reset". I can quiesce the PDa, swap cards, and still ahve to do a "soft reset". I have a feeling there is a ReegEdit in my future.

I'm a total loser and I've been banned!!!
    I have a feeling there's a hard reset and reload of all applications in your future...

Ehud

After re-reading my previous post, it appears typing lessons are in my future too. I hope you are wrong, but you might be right.

do not hard reset. I have a socket wifi SDIO card and I have to soft reset pretty much every time after I switch between memory and the wifi card. Don't know why, always been that way, even with my G1000. Others don't have this problem, I do, don't know why, don't really care as it's not that big a deal. Every now and then the socket card will just work after being inserted but 95% of the time I have to soft reset. Never need to when I put the memory back though...
    Tom

Tom: that means you too need to do a hard reset. (Or try a card that doesn't have this problem, like the Lexar card.)

Ehud

Originally posted by Ehud
    Tom: that means you too need to do a hard reset. (Or try a card that doesn't have this problem, like the Lexar card.)

Ehud
    Did you read my post? BOTH my G1000 and BOTH 6601's I've had do this. I don't know why some people have the problem and some don't. If there is one thing I can guarantee, it's that a hard reset will NOT resolve the issue, at least in my situation. Sometimes it works fine, sometimes it doesn't. I was simply explaining that he's not alone in his situation (unless he also needs to soft reset when he inserts his memory card). As for trying another card, I think NOT, I bought this Socket card and I'm not shelling out more cash for such a foolish problem. I mean it's SO hard to soft reset, y'know...
    Tom

Hey, it's your reset button, you figure out what you want to do with it.

It's been forever that hardware and software manufacturers have sat in standards groups and dictated standards that wer so soft their products would fit, but that had a little "play" in it.

If the product interoperates in a way that is inconvenient to you then you have several choices. You can request the compliant mfg (microsoft) to modify their product (wm2003se). You can request the mostly-compliant mfg (your card mfg) to modify their card. Lastly, you can get a card which is compatible with the compliance to the standards that your ppc mfg has chosen.

Ehud
    p.s. Yes, I read your post. I'm also willing to bet if you hard reset and try the card with nothing installed you will see a different behavior.

Hard reset does nothing, I JUST did it when I updated my ROM. As I said, it works on and off, sometimes you need to soft reset, sometimes you don't, usually you do. I don't load tons of crap on my unit so I'm certain it's not some software goofing it up. As I said, I could care less that I have to soft reset when I use the wifi card, I use it so infrequently it's not a problem.
    Tom

And dude, I have more than 1/2 a clue when it comes to these devices so cut me some slack here, I'm not a moron.
    Tom