+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Email Options

Email Options

OK...I got a quick question for the other techs out there. I have several email accounts that I access through POP accounts right now. I have a desktop and a server running at my house. The server has SB Server 2k3, and so it has Exchange. I was trying to figure out the best configuration to go with. I will be updating the MX records for my company so that mail comes directly to my Exchange server so I can utilize OWA as well. ( I will have to set this up with DDNS, but that is awhole nother story...)

Suggestions on setting up AS and POutlook? Right now I get my admin email from a clients POP server on my PDA, but I only sync my outlook mail and would like to have it as close to push as possible. I have about 5 or 6 different POP accounts that all feed into 1 inbox, so I do not want to set up individual accounts on the PPC and have to flip through them...
    PPC6600
    HBH-660

I forget - does SBS2003 include Exchange 2003? If so, check out this guide for setting it up for external access (if you're not using SSL, most of it is out-of-the-box):
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/pro...cliaccgde.mspx

Lastly, what I used to do (before just forwarding my POP accounts to my own domain/Exchange server) was leave Outlook running, configured to connect to the POP accounts, and have it poll every few minutes and drop all the mail in the 'main' Inbox. The PPC would simply sync with the Inbox, and not have any of the POP accounts configured.
    -Lee
    Samsung i730
    Ridata 1GB SD Card, Transcend 4GB SD card, PPC Tech Audio Adapter

Thanks for the article, I saw that before but hadn't looked back to it.

I am syncing my Outlook Inobox now, but only when it's cradled; also, I cannot send email from the road. I want to achieve total convergence (young grasshopper!)...full blackberry type of stuff...
    PPC6600
    HBH-660

When I set up my partnership, the Server name for Exchange got set to the local NetBios Name (Server1 in my case). I just had to change it on the device (in ActiveSync settings) to the DNS Hostname that corresponded to my Exchange Server on the net (ie - MailServer.MyDomain.com)to get it to work. Oddly enough, I can't sync the Inbox/Cal/Contacts when creadled on my network, but that doesn't bother me much, since I'm usually using the PC anyway if the device is in the cradle.
    -Lee
    Samsung i730
    Ridata 1GB SD Card, Transcend 4GB SD card, PPC Tech Audio Adapter