+ Reply to Thread

New Phone Profile App

Well, just saw this:
    PPCProfiles by Brett Darnell

Looks promising, and since I haven't re-installed my trial of ZenPhone, I may give this a try when I get home tonight.

Edit - PocketGear Link for those boycotting Handango
    Last edited by lmychajluk; 02-24-2005 at 10:51 AM.
    -Lee
    Samsung i730
    Ridata 1GB SD Card, Transcend 4GB SD card, PPC Tech Audio Adapter

Sounds good--let us know what you think.
    Jeremiah 29:11

On initial tests, it's not looking to good.

The Profiles are real basic, just Volume for PDA/Phone (Ringer). BT & Headset On/Off, and Ring Type (Ring/Vibrate/Ascending Ring/etc...). You cannot select different rings by Profile. Also, though there's an indication that Meetings should cause the phone to go into "Auto" mode (w/ all volumes off), this didn't seem to happen in my test (though, I'll admit, I may be misunderstanding how this works. It may be that you have to put it in Auto mode for the meeting manually, and it automatically switches back.).

Currently, IMO, not worth the $5 to turn BT On/Off and change volume with a single click. I'll be looking for the next update to PocketZenPhone, hopefully with the radio functions working.
    -Lee
    Samsung i730

You know the thiing that really bugs me is that the MS Smartphone platform has this feature built in to the OS...Why MS doesn't put this same ability in the PPC Phone Edition I don't know...

I also have a i600, and the "Profile" setting works great....comeon Bill..get your act together...aren't you rich enough? After all the PPC , and us users started this whole mini PC thing for you !...

It Must be Money related!
    "Put on God's whole armor, that you may be able successfully to stand up against the strategies and the deceits of the devil"

Ep. 6:11

Re: New Phone Profile App

Originally posted by lmychajluk
    Edit - PocketGear Link for those boycotting Handango
    Okay...I will bite and take the risk of showing my level if ignorance.....why are you boycotting Handango?
    Hobbes
    Writer for WMExperts.com
    www.wmexperts.com/ | www.wmexperts.com/reviews/ | discussion.wmexperts.com/

Administrator
    there are some folks who dont care for them because of issues when tyring to get software re downloaded or their customer service in general. there are posting in the general discussion about them...

For me, it took Handango 6 weeks to even reply to 6, count 'em 6!, emails that I sent. Finally they corrected the problem completely, but I steer away as much as possible.

Originally posted by lmychajluk
    On initial tests, it's not looking to good.

The Profiles are real basic, just Volume for PDA/Phone (Ringer). BT & Headset On/Off, and Ring Type (Ring/Vibrate/Ascending Ring/etc...). You cannot select different rings by Profile. Also, though there's an indication that Meetings should cause the phone to go into "Auto" mode (w/ all volumes off), this didn't seem to happen in my test (though, I'll admit, I may be misunderstanding how this works. It may be that you have to put it in Auto mode for the meeting manually, and it automatically switches back.).

Currently, IMO, not worth the $5 to turn BT On/Off and change volume with a single click. I'll be looking for the next update to PocketZenPhone, hopefully with the radio functions working.
    That actually is exactly what I want. Nothing fancy, just a one touch, on the today screen change in volumes. I don't want it to interfere with phoneAlarm or change the alerts, etc... I'll have to check it out.

If that's the case, it may be just what you're looking for. While evaluating PocketZenPhone, I got used to the ability to turn a certain profile on automatically between 9-6 Mon-Fri, for when I was in the office, and having the CTU ring during that time and OldPhoneLoud for most other times, so I'll most likely go back to it.
    -Lee
    Samsung i730

One more observation -

This app will completely over-ride the System Volume (and Ringer volume, too, I'm guessing). Whatever you set for the current Profile is what you get. Sometimes, you can adjust it manually while in a app, but certain functions (like switching between apps) will reset it back to the current Profile's volume level.
    -Lee
    Samsung i730

Lee--

You can use your own ringers with it right? They list 7 ringers to choose from, but I wanted to make sure you could use your own. I'm waiting to see what Bruce @ PocketMax has for the profiles add-in for phoneAlarm, but I may give it a whirl. I now have a BT car, so a one touch option would be nice.

There's no mechanism to choose a specific Ringer by Profile, it uses whatever is set in the Phone App (ie - all profiles use the same ringer). The 7 'ringers' you refer to I think are actually the Ringer Types - None, Vibrate, Vibrate then Ring, Vibrate and Ring, Ring, Ring Once, and Increasing Ring, which is settable by Profile.
    -Lee
    Samsung i730

Originally posted by mwfielder
    Lee--

You can use your own ringers with it right? They list 7 ringers to choose from, but I wanted to make sure you could use your own. I'm waiting to see what Bruce @ PocketMax has for the profiles add-in for phoneAlarm, but I may give it a whirl. I now have a BT car, so a one touch option would be nice.
    Wow...tempted...this is what I need, but I too figure that Bruce will also offer this functionality and I bought his...

Hopefully bugfree and soon
    "Put on God's whole armor, that you may be able successfully to stand up against the strategies and the deceits of the devil"

Ep. 6:11

Looks like there's a new "Pro" version with some extra features, including different Ringtones per profile. Here's the link to a review on MSMobiles.com:
    http://www.msmobiles.com/news.php/3681.html
    -Lee
    Samsung i730