+ Reply to Thread
    mag

Where is BT stack on a PC USB adaptor?

I have a SONY VAIO notebook with an external SONY BT adaptor. It doesn't support the Personal Area Networking profile, so, I can't connect with my phone using that profile.

Question: is the BT stack on the PC in the firmware of the USB adaprtor or in drivers on the PC itself?

If it's on the PC I can find the drivers for the newer SONY adaptor, load them, and save myself the $100 for the new adaptor.
    Stock Verizon xv6600

I haven't been able to get my phone to connect with PAN either and I do have that profile. If all you want to do is surf the web over bluetooth then I would say connect with activesync and allow passthrough to internet. Its a setting in activesync. (Hopefully you have the activesync profile)

I think what you are really asking is if you can get the PAN profile for that adapter. I couldn't find anything for it, thats not to say someone hasn't hacked it.
    AT&T Jailbroken Iphone 3G 2.2

Re: Where is BT stack on a PC USB adaptor?

Originally posted by mag
    I have a SONY VAIO notebook with an external SONY BT adaptor. It doesn't support the Personal Area Networking profile, so, I can't connect with my phone using that profile.

Question: is the BT stack on the PC in the firmware of the USB adaprtor or in drivers on the PC itself?

If it's on the PC I can find the drivers for the newer SONY adaptor, load them, and save myself the $100 for the new adaptor.
    As to where's the BT stack on the PC? Its in the drivers.

If you're running XP, service pack 2 adds native bluetooth support. (Which can be a pain for reasons I won't go into), but if it supports your adaptor native, it may do what you want...

btf

mag
    bfaber - SONY's BT adaptor is listed by microsoft as supported, but it doesn't say if it's version 1 or 2. Can there be a difference in the USB chip such that it CAN"T support PAN or is XP SP2 not recognizing my version 1 adaptor.

If the profiles are in the drivers I can't see why SONY would release another piece of hardware. The newly released one states specifically that it supports PAN.

IvanLaston - I will try that but I want all things to work as they should.
    Stock Verizon xv6600

Originally posted by mag
    bfaber - SONY's BT adaptor is listed by microsoft as supported, but it doesn't say if it's version 1 or 2. Can there be a difference in the USB chip such that it CAN"T support PAN or is XP SP2 not recognizing my version 1 adaptor.

If the profiles are in the drivers I can't see why SONY would release another piece of hardware. The newly released one states specifically that it supports PAN.

IvanLaston - I will try that but I want all things to work as they should.
    Hmm. I'll claim, "I don't know" at this point. The software part all comes from windows, and not from the usb adapter itself. That much I know.

I have a 3rd-party usb bluetooth key that has other issues, so I'm afraid I can't say other then perhaps mailing Sony or something? I'm not familiar with XP's native bluetooth client stuff.

Did you check the FAQ in this forum? There are several references there that may help.

Good luck,
    btf

If you upgraded to Service Pack 2 you need to delete all you bluetooth adapters and reboot and let Service Pack 2 BT drivers kick in. If your not running Service Pack 2, get it.