+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    I'm a total loser and I've been banned!!!
    It's pre-release, so they could change their minds, but traditionally the Samsung model numbers are SCH for GSM/GPRS and SPH for CDMA/1xRTT...
    E

Re: Re: Supercharged VX6600?

Originally posted by BryanHarig
    Id guess off the top of my head they:

1. Installed Skype
    2. Used an overclocking utility to max out the clock speed then lowered it to the minimum possible for number 4.
    3. are lieing
    4. Underclocked the processor.
    5. Installed Skype and a SDIO wifi card
    6. Installed Skype and a SDIO wifi card
    I think that they circumvented Verizon's billing system by giving you laptop data at PDA prices by installing a copy of W-Modem and including a one page instructions how to setup a DUN on your notebook.

would this installation superdave..would it affect me in case pocket pc goes crazy and i have to get warranty done

For those who have tried autostep, does it affect battery life a lot? Is the speed difference noticeable running @ maximum? Thanks

Question xv6600 CPU Overclocking? 600MHz? scam?

***EDIT: I now see this topic has already been covered -- and a while ago --
    [Looks like some scaling app like PHM or SDSoft's is used to scale the proc speed up. The only new information I (may) have added is how he's claiming 2000kbps EV-DO. I believe it's a little embedded linux wifi router with two PCMCIA slots with two EV-DO cards]

Robert Kim at evdo-coverage.com is:

A. A creative marketer?

- or -

B. A scam artist?

The guy is selling a "supercharged" version of the xv6600 with:

o 2000kbps EV-DO via bluetooth (interesting since BT caps at
    721kpbs asymmetric and 432.6 symmetric).

o A 600MHz processor. Huh?

o 384MB RAM (aka a 256MB SD card)

I like to give people the benefit of the doubt, but his site seems deliberately misleading. I can see through most of the hype on his "supercharged" 800% more power XV6600, but I'd sure like to know how he's claiming to boost the processor speed.

I have to figure his "optional" turbocharged EV-DO involves using a WiFi->EV-DO gateway with two bonded ev-do AirCards. I've seen his antennas before too -- totally hilarious -- he's just selling 2.4GHz wifi antennas with pretty stickers on them for about 3-4x the street price. Any gain an antenna designed for 2.4GHz has at ~850MHz [EV-DO] is likely minimal.

Anyone have any ideas on how he's claiming to up the processor speed?

dsl
    Last edited by dslguy; 06-17-2005 at 03:52 PM.
    VZW XV6600WC ROM 2.03.00WWE
    * stock radio, BT, and ExtROM *

Insane PDAer with a MOGUL!!!! centauress's Avatar

Re: xv6600 CPU Overclocking? 600MHz? scam?

Originally posted by dslguy

Anyone have any ideas on how he's claiming to up the processor speed?
    Pixie dust and sweet dreams, maybe?
    Sprint customer since Mar 01, PPC user since Apr 04 and Technophile since birth!
    Oct 06: Now completely convereged, connected and livin' large! Tablet PC+PPC = Ultimate Happiness!!! Woo-Hoo!

No, it's real. Both SDSoft and Anton Tomov (and potentially others) have apps that allow you to change the processor speed on the 6600:

SuperDave's: http://www.sdsoft.net/xdaiii/xda.asp
    Anton Tomov: Google "Pocket Hack Master" -- he's re-doing his site.

Anyone with war stories on how either of these apps work in either extending battery life and/or increasing responsiveness would be most appreciated.

[edit: obviously higher speed means less battery life and vice-versa -- I'm not asking how it works, just how well]

dsl
    VZW XV6600WC ROM 2.03.00WWE
    * stock radio, BT, and ExtROM *

But raising the clock that much makes it useless as a phone or BT link. The battery would die quicker than a mouse at a cat show...
    Sprint customer since Mar 01, PPC user since Apr 04 and Technophile since birth!
    Oct 06: Now completely convereged, connected and livin' large! Tablet PC+PPC = Ultimate Happiness!!! Woo-Hoo!

I use this xCPUScaler software and have it fixed at 530MHz with no ill effects. Battery may drain a bit faster but I am never far from a socket and it definately runs faster. I bet it could be pushed to 600MHz. Have not tried the others. Thisworked on my old G1000 where it was essential.
    Sprint: G1000, HTC-6600, 6800, now TP2
    Windroid: Energy.ROM.28244.Sense2.5/Android 2.1
    Overclocked to 729Mhz

I agree; the older CPUs need to be overclocked. But those of us who get a PPC for a 'wireless' connection would prefer to be able to move away from an outlet.

600 Megacycles on the 660X is sweet and all, but that's just going to be too much of a burden on the standard battery to be useful to me. It's bad enough having to leave my device on the charger nearly an hour after every three online, if I drive the drain that much, it'll be plugged in half the day. I can't have that.

Now, if you underclock it to about 375-400MHz, that might help.

My Bluetooth is built in!

Re: xv6600 CPU Overclocking? 600MHz? scam?

Originally posted by dslguy

Robert Kim at evdo-coverage.com is:

A. A creative marketer?

- or -

B. A scam artist?

He posts on HoFo, perhapse you could ask him. http://www.howardforums.com/member.php?userid=273682

EDIT: and here http://www.smartphoneforums.com/foru...o&userid=28044
    Personally I find his advertising to be very misleading and overly optimistic.
    Last edited by BryanHarig; 06-17-2005 at 06:33 PM.
    PPC-6700, Treo 700wx, Samsung IP-i830w, Motorola i580, LG Fusic. Mix well, add accessories, consume.

Dslguy asked: “Anyone with war stories on how either of these apps work in either extending battery life and/or increasing responsiveness would be most appreciated.”

I haven’t run any tests to prove this conclusively, but running SuperDave’s autostep application at 530MHz on the xv6600 seems to me to make the functions/features I use perform better/faster/smoother. However, like jerryyyyy, battery drain is not an issue for me.

jerryyyyy said: “I use this xCPUScaler software and have it fixed at 530MHz with no ill effects.”

That’s good to know and answers a question I asked here:

http://www.smartphoneforums.com/foru...108#post348108

Centauress said: “600 Megacycles on the 660X is sweet and all, but that's just going to be too much of a burden on the standard battery”

FTR, I’m using the v3 2400 mAh battery. Also, forgive me if I’m stating the obvious, but SuperDave’s program allows you to vary the fixed speed in increments from 200MHz, 300MHz, 400MHz, and 530MHz. So you can certainly choose to use the higher settings only when necessary for those concerned about battery life.

Best,
    MA

SD PHONELOCK IN LANDSCAPE MODE

I love the phonelock from SD but

I was in lancscaping mode in my 6600 and I locked the phone
    when I tried to unlock I saw the usual graphics but could not
    find the text (UN LOCK) probably because it would not fit on
    landscape screen!

tried every button and ended up having to sof-reset

am I missing something?

Robert Kim

The guy selling all the SuperCharged stuff has an interesting thread about him and his business ethics at:

http://www.evdoforums.com/about474.html
    EVDOguy
    EVDO Info

Re: Robert Kim

Originally posted by EVDOguy
    The guy selling all the SuperCharged stuff has an interesting thread about him and his business ethics at:

http://www.evdoforums.com/about474.html
    I remember seeing his site.. what a tard.

If its too good to be true... as they say.
    Thanks for the post.

I'm a total loser and I've been banned!!!
    Hey. EVDOguy. Your site rocks!

Ehud