+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Ultimate Toys For the 660x

I posted this on another forum....over on TC...but wanted to share it here as well as a resource for what toys you can get for your 660x phone. Some of these open a whole new world in the world of mobile PCs.

Here is what I have for my PPC-6600:
    • Bluetooth Think Outside Stowaway Keyboard. Been using it for 2 months now....And it works great! The built in sliding keyboard works great for short emails, web addresses, etc... but if you do any typing at all, this is the ultimate keyboard for you. It even comes with a nice padded protective case that zips up. The cool thing is that since it is BT it can stay with me no matter what my next phone is. Easy set up once I download the updated version of 4.11 and installed that one. ($89-$149)
      http://www.mobileplanet.com/
    • I just bought the Bluetooth Think Outside Stowaway Travel Mouse, so when using the keyboard, the phone is the cradle, or simply just playing games. I can use a mouse instead of a stylus. Not a necesity but was just cool enough for me to try it out. After using for a while now my 6600 really does start to feel like a mini computer! ($50)
      http://www.ecost.com/ecost/ecsplash/shop/detail.asp?dpno=64358
    • Bluetooth Plantronics M3000 headset, It is VERY clear both on my end and at the other end. Well built and light weight. Fairly comfortable, but have to make sure it is positioned just right on my ear. ($35)
      http://www.pcmall.com/pcmall/shop/detail~dpno~249444.asp
    • 1 GB Utra II Scandisk SD Card ($85-$100)....I cannot wait until the 2 GB cards comes out or down in price a bit.
    • Socket Wifi Card. Works flawlessly and dead easy to install and setup. ($69-$89).....do NOT get the Scandisk 256 mb Wifi combo card as they will not write any drivers for it to work.
      http://www.socketcom.com/product/WL6200-480.asp
    • Extra battery. A must have, no matter what phone you own. ($50)
      http://www.tessco.com/products/getProductInfo.do?sku=434774
    • Itrek Bluetooth GPS unit (with iGuidance map software). ($109 for unit and $99 for software. You can get 10% off coupon by joining GPSpassion)
      http://www.semsons.com/iblgpsre16ch.html
      http://www.semsons.com/ignavsof.html
    • Bluetooth USB Doggle for my laptop so I can sync with laptop via bluetooth ($29)
      http://www.mobileplanet.com/
    • AA quick charger. From Boxware. This is a little box with four AAs in it for a quick charge for your phone in the emergency that you can't find a plug in. Great for playing games and watching movies on 5 hour plane flights.
    • Car charger from Boxware
    • Travel wall charger from Boxware
    • Retractable sync cable from Boxware
    • Screen protector. The Non-Glare one from Boxwave. (all the Boxware stuff came in a bundled package for around $60-70)
      http://www.boxwave.com/products/easyfinder/products-for-audiovox-ppc-6601_434.htm
    • Piel Frama case. Very nice case that lets you still use the sliding keyboard while still in the case. (around $60). Please see the great post by g.711 with loads of links to cases: Cases for the SX66 PD2K PPC6600 XDA
    • Proporta Bought this case after a co-worker stretched out my Piel Frama case. It is thicker than the Piel Frama case, but the added protection and the flip down instead of the flip up is very nice.
      http://www.proporta.com/F02/PPF02P05.php?t_id=978&t_mode=des
    • Card Wallet. Just a little folding wallet to hold my Wifi and extra mem card. ( http://www.mobileplanet.com/private/covertec/listing.asp?unit=card )
    • MS Voice Command -- Okay I know this is software not a hardware accessory, but it is such a Must Have, I just had to list it here. ($30)
    Addtional Resources for other accessories or different options than the ones listed above:Okay I think that is all I have for this phone at the moment....but as anyone who knows me already knows....I am always looking for that extra gadget I overlooked. Please share what you have for your PPC-660x compatible phone.

The cool thing is that memory card, SD Wifi card, and all of the BT stuff should hopefully stay with me with whatever phone I upgrade to next!

Here are a couple other accessories that I have on my "I might get" list:Now we just need a Bluetooth home automation kit to mow the yard.
    Last edited by HobbesIsReal; 02-26-2005 at 01:35 AM.
    Hobbes
    Writer for WMExperts.com
    www.wmexperts.com/ | www.wmexperts.com/reviews/ | discussion.wmexperts.com/

Apparently there are some issues the Boxware stuff according to the FAQ thread, but mine have worked great for me so far.
    Hobbes
    Writer for WMExperts.com

That $99 bluetooth gps unit was the same one I was looking at. There's a new gps chipset out in a few weeks too:http://www.buygpsnow.com/item.aspx?itemid=404

I'm not sure if it's worth the additional $60-$70 though.
    "Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience."

If you really want to know the ins and outs of how the chip set compares to the current iTreck (which I do love) and how well it works with what software and the 660x then go to GPSpassion.com and you will get the whole scoop and more.
    Last edited by HobbesIsReal; 02-25-2005 at 01:55 AM.
    Hobbes
    Writer for WMExperts.com

Toys!!!!

Thanks, Hobbes, as always, great stuff!! And I thought the initial cost of the phone was alot...now my wife just shakes her head at what I tell her what I need next for my PDA/Camera/IPod/DVD Player/Streaming video and radio player/remote control/game system/portable computer that I call my phone! Actually, I stopped telling her ahwile back, not she just shakes her head when the UPS driver drops off something new. It's the whole "It's easier to ask for forgiveness than to ask for permission"
    PPC6600
    HBH-660

Thanks for the great post. Really informative and lots of cool toys.
    Phone: Treo 700w
    History: XV6600 -> Treo 700w -> XV6800 -> Treo 700w again.

Ordered BT-338 today

I pre-ordered my BT-338. I have no will power when my credit card is within 150 miles of my greedy hands. Just have to intercept the shipment before wife does. "what else do you need for that phone!" I hope I get one of the few they get in next week. No more lugging arround my Magellan map410 and laptop!!!

Awesome list! I'm typing this on the slide out at Starbucks
    so the bt keyboard sounds very tempting!

Can you use the keyboard and mouse at the same time?

Like the emerg charger too. I do a lot of flying and it would be cool to
    not have to take out the laptop to watch movies...

StewartG

Originally posted by HobbesIsReal
    If you really want to know the ins and outs of how the chip set compares to the current iTreck (which I do love) and how well it works with what software and the 660x then go to GPSpassion.com and you will get the whole scoop and more.
    I really do. It's just painful to read through pages and pages just to get one answer.
    "Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience."

"Socket Wifi Card. Works flawlessly and dead easy to install and setup. ($69-$89).....do NOT get the Scandisk 256 mb Wifi combo card as they will not write any drivers for it to work."

Question - So if you have the wifi card, do you even need Vision?

Yes....I use vision extensively, except when I roam (no vision while roaming), at home on my own wireless network, or at a hotel with wireless.

The downside to using Wifi is you have to remove your SD mem card to use it. So I use Wifi as a backup means of connecting or when I am just playing around with only Surfing and emails.

Plus you have to be in range of a wireless network with authority to access it, while with vision...as long as you are not roaming and have cell signal...you can use anytime, anywhere.
    Hobbes
    Writer for WMExperts.com

-- This is a good list. I've had some trouble with Boxwave sending wrong stuff and the stylus replacement but they seem to be responsible about resolving the issues. I've just ordered the retractable stereo earplugs from them.

-- I'll be looking for a stereo BT headset pretty soon. None of these earplugs are satisfactory on noisy airplanes.

-- Glad you checked out Sandisk. I really hate the idea of having to swap cards for Wifi and that is why I never got one. Wifi is something that all of our devices need eventually, IMO.

-- HAL? What exactly are YOU controlling in your house with this?
    iPhone 4S BB8830/Treo700wx/Treo700w/ XV6600/Treo600/Kyo7135

Hobbes,

As usual, another great post. Thanks.

Originally posted by HobbesIsReal
    The downside to using Wifi is you have to remove your SD mem card to use it. So I use Wifi as a backup means of connecting or when I am just playing around with only Surfing and emails.

Plus you have to be in range of a wireless network with authority to access it, while with vision...as long as you are not roaming and have cell signal...you can use anytime, anywhere.
    I'm trying out T-Mobile data plan on my Cingular SX66 phone, just for kicks. They charge $29.99 for the stand-alone unlimited data plan, and an additional $20 if you want unlimited WiFi at hotspots as well.

The downside is that GPRS with TMobile is painfully slow, compared with CDMA on Verizon (EVDO) or Sprint (1XRTT), and even slower than Cingular GPRS for some reason. the upside is that you can easily roam on GPRS, unlike Sprint data.

The Hotspot WiFi is great, but I have to camp out at Starbucks or Borders Books to use it. I can drink only so much coffee. . At home WiFi is free, of course, and I connect at a whopping 1.4 MBPS.

Of course in the SX66 WiFi is built-in, and does not use up your SDIO. Switching between WiFi and GPRS is easy.

TonyH
    How do you like the Edge network compared to G3? is there no Edge coverage in your area?

I ordered the Plantronics M3000 headset for $35 yesterday at around 4:30 pm PST at PCmall.com. They had free shipping but opted for the $9.99 overnight, and it arrived at 10 am this morning!!!!!

Here is the review I posted on another thread:

This is my first BT Headset so, of course I couldn't wait 8 hours to charge before giving it a try. I must say as for quality of sound, this is absolutely PERFECT....at least for the first day trying it out. I had no static whatsoever. I called a bunch of my friends just to ask, "How do I sound?" All of them said it was great, while 2 of them said it was the best cell phone connection they have heard and they had no idea I was using my cell phone let along a headset.

I just tested the distance....I am in a hotel room, so I was only able to go about 35 feet into a second bedroom. With the phone in the furthest point of the living room and with me in the back of the second bedroom, I had some rough static but was still able to carry on a conversation, though at times I had to repeat myself.

It was crystal clear until around 15-20 feet when a little bit of static started.

As for comfort.....it is pretty good, I have to get it at just the perfect angle or it seems to add pressure to a part of my ear. It is easy to and quick to put on.......with a little practice at least.

Bottom line is I would certainly reccomend this BT headset....especially at $35. I am very tempted to get another one for a spare everything that I can always keep in my computer bag just in case I forget it on a road trip for work.
    Hobbes
    Writer for WMExperts.com

Originally posted by s4pda
    TonyH
    How do you like the Edge network compared to G3? is there no Edge coverage in your area?
    EDGE is supposed to be active in my area. When I BT DUN, using my V551 EDGE enabled flipper phone, I get well over 110 KBPS.

The SX66, on the other hand does not support EDGE. So, I crawl at GPRS speeds. I don't like it. I'm not the patient kind. I won't be surpised if I broke the piggy bank and bought a XV6600 and subscribed back with Verizon at $45/M data plan

Thanks for the great post... I am on my xv6600 right now (no broadband yet in the Bay Area).

Do you wish you had a caller-id bt headset? Yours sounds great for the money though so I may go budget... thoughts?

Sure...but for an extra $60 bucks?....I would rather buy an extended battery instead.
    Hobbes
    Writer for WMExperts.com

More converged than ever!
    I like the Stowaway mouse a lot - needed to use with my BT notebook last week and it worked great for that as well.

I purchased the Stowaway IR keyboard instead of the BT ($44 at Amazon) and it seems to work really well. The IR works great in portrait or landscape, and props it up at the right angle to watch movies in-flight. Am I missing out on something by not having the BT keyboard? The extra $50 seems like a lot more for minimal additional functionality. The feature that I think I'd like the most is that the BT keyboard locks open.

I have the DeLorme Earthmate GPS w/Bluetooth Powerpack and it works great with the 6600. It won't replace my TomTom Go but is cool to have.

BTW, the TomTom power supply seems to power and charge the 6600 like a champ. One less fewer adapater to carry, YAY! This is the first handheld I've had that requires its own diaper bag.
    Last edited by Kyo7135Fan; 02-26-2005 at 02:38 PM.
    Used to be a Kyo fan, anyway. A "Smartphone" user since adding a modem card to my HP95 Pocket Computer (1992).