+ Reply to Thread

Extract phone number from SMS?

On the PPC (or Microsoft dialer, I guess), I would to be able to extract and automatically dial phone numbers contained in the message.

Here is why: I receive pages as SMS messages that always contain a ten digit phone number inside. For example, an SMS message would be:

1234/JOHN SMITH/XYZ CORPORATION/(987)654-3210/PLEASE CALL RE CONTRACT QUESTIONS

On my Sanyo VM phone I could open the message, then select Options, Call from list, and the phone would pull every number out of the message and create a list. I could then scroll down (once) to the number and select it, and the phone would dial it. The beauty is that I would never have to write the number in the page down or memorize it.

So, anyone know of any app or hack that would allow the SMS message to have the numbers contained therein to be scrubbed out for direct dialing like this? Currently I am opening the message, highlighting the number, hitting Edit..Copy, then switching to the phone app, then Edit..Paste, then send. This is much more time consumng and two-handedly tedious than I would prefer.

TIA!!

-BD

When viewing the sms, click the reply button, you will have the option to call the number.
    Larry Ganz
    http://www.jesusreigns.org
    John 3:16

Oh, wait, lemme think, reply might try to call the number the SMS came from instead of the number in the body of the SMS. Lemme try it...
    Larry Ganz

Okay, highlight the phone number in the SMS using the stylus, and go to edit menu and click on and copy.

Open the phone app and go to edit and click paste.

Then hit dial.
    Larry Ganz

Heh heh, in case you thought I found something new, I copied your solution - smart-alec-that-I am...
    Larry Ganz

I'm telling y'all that someone needs to capitalize off of the need for a killer SMS app. On Palm devices (e.g. Treo & Kyo 7135), all you need to do is tap dial (or highlight and hit the OK button) from any SMS message and phone numbers are parsed out and you can select which you want to dial immediately.

Another development oppty would be to create an app that makes tap/hold on highlighted text bring up the current options (cut/paste/etc.) and new options - dial, SMS, email, or launch PEI.
    iPhone 4S BB8830/Treo700wx/Treo700w/ XV6600/Treo600/Kyo7135

Larry: thanks, you answered yourself, so no further comment is necessary. Correct, the source of the message is not the number I need to dial. In my case, I receive messages (pages) from a call center and need to dial the number contained IN the message.

Beryl: True dat! C'mon programmers - hop to! This is a serious flaw in my opinon, considering most standard cell phones have this parsing built in.

-BD

callback number in sms

on my i700 when you received a voice mail, one could add their call back number to the notification and when you received the voice mail notification their call back number would be there and you could click on it and it would call them back. also if you received a text message from a cell phone their number would be there and you could call them back from the text message. this was wth my i700 and verizon, if everyone would call verizon and complain about the lack of phone paging maybe they would find a fix for this. CAN YOU HEAR ME NOW, VZW