+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Quick2Net setup on xv6600

Can anyone please tell me how to set up Quick2Net on my xv6600? I have spent hours and hours combing the forum but can not find the answer.

I have America's Choice plan with Verizon and am paying about $60/month. All I want to do is send and receiver a few emails a month.

I was told that I am set up on a pay-as-you go plan which is $.015/Kb. I figure this should cost me about $3 or $4 a month using it this way.

Problem is, I can't figure out how to get this thing to work. So far, I can send and receive emails when I am plugged into the PPC cradle which is connected to my PC via USB but as soon as I disconnect and try to send or receive emails, it won't work.

What am I don't wrong?

Thanks

Forever Confused
    I think the problem is that you don't want to use the Q2N. You should be using the EN #777. I don't remember the setup for it because I've never had troubles and have not had to work with it. But someone should be able to to set you straight on the user name and password.

I'm a total loser and I've been banned!!!
    Activesync: 1.05Mbps
    Quick2Net: would not stay connected long enough to complete the bandwidth test. I suspect VZW is killing these connections once a minute
    ExpressNework: 40Kbps (1xRTT, poor location)

If you want to do your own test,
    Number: #7772
    Username: yournumber@vzw3g.com
    Password: vzw

The fact that Q2N is not part of the config on these phones is a clue

Ehud

Question Q2N Settings -vs- EN Settings on XV6600

Someone please correct me if I am wrong, but the old settings from my i700 for Q2N are:

Username: qnc
    Password: qnc

For EN, they are:

Number: #777

I just called VZW to ask if Q2N was an option on the XV6600 and was told it is NOT an option. I have been doing some testing and the above Q2N settings work for me, but the speeds are much higher that Q2N are?? They are more in line with EN?? So, I am completely baffled. I am going to use my Q2N setting for a week, then EN for a week and monitor my data usage to see just what I will be paying for, and when. I had set up my i700 account with the pay-as-you-go option. Verizon actually called my home phone about 3 months ago to tell me I needed a data plan! I had been using EN MOU for about 2 years...

OA

Why do you want to use Q2N? I use EVDO and am only charged minutes. There is no charge per kB.

Q2N is not supported by the XV6600. Only devices with analog bands have Q2N.

Originally posted by rkel
    Why do you want to use Q2N? I use EVDO and am only charged minutes. There is no charge per kB.
    How does one get this setup on the XV6600 with Verizon? I have tried all the following and am still getting charged per kb (I want MOU ... my internet access time taken out of my minutes):

AND

There is no EVDO in my area. I only download updates for my weather program and send and receive emails. I pay for 600 minutes per month and only use about 200 so have plenty left for a little internet connection.

Can anyone help me figure this out. I have spent weeks trying different things.

Thanks!

The following is tested and works on a Verizon XV6600.

Start->Settings->Connections
    Connections->Manage existing connections

(note, I did not say Connections->Add a new modem connection)

Click New then select
    name: Quick 2 Net (whatever you like)
    modem: Cellular Line (DO NOT CHANGE)
    Next

number: #7772
    Next

username: yournumber@vzw3g.com (note: that's VZW3G not VZW3Q)
    password: vzw
    Finish

Then change from auto-pick to "Quick 2 Net".

Enjoy.

Ehud

So I was looking in the Extended ROM to see where Verizon actually creates the CDMA2000 connection and sets username and password.

Well I found where they create the account, but I could not find any reference to a username and password.

Then I searched in the registry, and found the CDMA2000 right above my new Quick2Net. It had no user and password setting.

So then I went into connections, and deleted the username and password from CDMA2000.

The next time it tried to connect it brought up the Username/Password/Domain prompt. I checked the "save password" box and hit OK without filling anything in, and connected just fine. (Yes, data is flowing through it, thanks for asking.)

The moral of the story: 1xRTT on verizon doesn't need username or password.

Ehud

SLS
    I've tried everything and I can't seem to get this to work. I had an I600 with mou and changed over to the 6600 and now I can't get it connected. I'm in Phoenix with EVDO, I don't know if that makes it different. To the people who have mou working, did you have any data plan before and then switched to mou or did you have to call in and have Verizon put MOU on the 6600.

Thanks,
    Scott

i remember reading dozens of posts about verizon killing mou. is it still available?

I'm in Tucson, never had MOU on the phone, and while it's not EVDO, it should be working for you.

Did you manually switch from "Auto" to "quick 2 net" and then what happened?

E

SLS
    It tells me that user name and password are wrong.

Thanks for the help

Scott

Ok, I'm assuming you're using my settings from the post above. (Except that you've put YOUR number in the username, not mine

If that's not working then it seems to me it truly is disable for YOUR phone.

There is a way to test it... you could put in MY username and password. If that doesn't work, we *know* it's the EIN/phone.

Email me at gavron@wetwork.net from a real acct and I'll send you the info.

Ehud

SLS
    Ehud, thanks for the help, I just bit the bullet and had VZ add datat to my account. Now I can get online with the 777 and Phone number as account number and vzw as password. I'm sur no matter how I sign in now I'm getting charged Data.

Scott
    Verizon 6600

To prove the experiment and perhaps help others, could you *NOW* try quick2net and see if it works?

E

SLS
    Now that I have data, all of the above options work,

No password with #777

qnc and qnc with #7772

Phone# with vzw as password at #777

I don't know how to check connection speeds to see if I'm connecting to different networks.

Also how do I check Data usage if i do #data all it tells me is how many text messages I've done

Scott
    Verizon 6600

SLS
    Ok, here is what I found

All of these connect to EVDO and there doesn't seem to be any way to default to the slower speeds in Phoenix.

Again using this website:

www.texan.net/speed.htm

All the connections were rated at 408kbps, I don't know how accurate this site is though.

I don't know how these different connections will work out of EVDO and I don't know how each login is billed.

Scott

PS I still don't know how to check data usage
    Verizon 6600

Originally posted by SLS
    PS I still don't know how to check data usage
    That's one thing I do know how to do. Dial "#data" and you will get sent a message from Verizon on your data usage.

Dial #3282.

I keep trying out different things to get charged by minute usage rather than per kb and, so far, nothing is working.

I keep getting charged per kb. After my last experiment I checked my data usage and I'm now up to 1026 (1026 * .015 = $15.39 just to download some emails and update my weather program). I can't justify that.

Jim

SLS
    Is it a text message, I don't have anything configured for that.

Thanks
    Scott
    Verizon 6600