+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

My 7 inch touchscreen 6600 carputer project

I am considering tackling this project in my BMW vert. I was going to use the Xenarc 700ts vga 7 inch touchscreen monitor and the I-Go Pitch duo to mirror my 6600 onto the monitor. The Xenarc would be connected to the Pitch Duo through a VGA cable. The Pitch Duo would be connected to my PPC 6600 through bluetooth wirelessly (or USB). I'll "attempt" to connect the touchscreen interface of the Xenarc monitor to the Pitch Duo by USB. If that doesn't work, I'll find a bluetooth trackball or mouse to use to navigate. What do you guys think? I can foresee some problems, but it might be pretty slick if I get this to work

Xenarc 700TS - VGA Monitor with touchscreen
    [700TS]

This product incorporates the innovation of our VGA 7" models along with a 4-wire resistive Touch-Screen panel. Use the convenient touch-screen as your input device, controlling your mouse cursor or the mini on screen keyboard that comes with your operating system. The touch screen utilizes the USB port as the interface. You can connect several monitors to your computer and the touchscreens would work simultaneously through the multi-monitor support.

These monitors come included with an instruction manual, a monitor stand, an AC adaptor, a touch screen driver/software CD, a connection cable, and a cigarette lighter car adaptor .

Features

For In-Car Computing, PC, Server, GPS, and various VGA Use
    4-wire resistive Touch Screen (USB)
    Multi-Monitor Touchscreen Support
    VGA Input (15 pin D-SUB) x 1
    16x9 Aspect Ratio
    High Resolution Display - up to 1600 x 1200
    Auto detects 800x480 resolution *New*
    Upgraded High-Brightness CCFL *New*
    Adjustable backlight level for night-time use
    Pixelworks High Performance Video and VGA Processor
    High Quality Scaling & Anti-Aliasing *New*
    Auto power-on upon signal detection
    Automatic display adjustment
    On Screen Display Control
    Copper Stand: 360° / Height Adjustment
    20-Pin heavy-duty connector *New*
    Anti Glare Coating *New*
    Supports 11V DC ~ 24V DC
    "E" Mark Certified for Automotive use *New*

Specifications

Model #: 700TS
    Screen Size: Diagonal 7" (16:9)
    Physical Resolution: 800 (H) x 480 (V)
    Supported Resolution: 640 x 480 ~ 1600 x 1200
    Dot Resolution: 2400 x 480 = 1,152,000 (dots)
    LCD Brightness (w/o Touchscreen)*: 400 cd/m²
    Display Brightness (w/ Touchscreen): 300 cd/m²
    Touch Screen Interface: USB port
    Operating Voltage Range: DC 11V ~ 24V, 1A
    Power Supply: DC 12V
    Power Consumption: <8W
    Operating Temperature: 23°F ~ 158°F
    Dimension (in): 7.75W x 4.75H x 1.38D
    Weight (lb): 1.28
    FCC, CE, E13 Certification
    18 Month Warranty
    Available in Silver or Black
    No dead Pixel Guarantee
    *LCD Panel Manufacturer's test result based on specific test environment. Number corresponds to maximum output and should not be confused with typical output. Typical output has to compensate for different factors and is also reduced to prolong the life of CCFL.

Pitch Duo - PS6B1V
    Give presentations from your handheld device or smartphone—wirelessly. No notebook, no wires, no hassle, just a powerful presentation direct from your handheld or smartphone. Pitch Duo not only lets you get rid of the cables and weighty notebook, it also enables you to view your presentation notes on your handheld device and use it to wirelessly control, via Bluetooth, the presentation while the audience sees just the slides. One year warranty and a FREE copy of award winning Quickoffice™ Pro included.

Compatible with Palm OS 4.0 and later, Pocket PC 2002/2003 and Nokia Series 60 devices.
    Connect via Bluetooth or USB from Pitch Duo to the handheld or smartphone.
    Comes with a travel case to hold the Pitch Solo device and power adapter.
    Includes remote display capabilities for showing the live screen of the handheld device on a monitor or large screen — no need for a visual presenter!
    Presentations can also be stored on SD (secure digital) cards
    1 USB and 2 PS/2 ports for connecting a keyboard and/or mouse for text input or navigation
    Charges device simultaneously when used with a USB syncing and charging cable
    Small and lightweight! w 4.86", h 3.05", d 0.9" and 0.19 lbs
    E46fanatic

Hmmm...looks like a car wreck waiting to happen...I'm in
    PPC6600
    HBH-660

Me too, but will this make my Toyota attract more chicks?

Very cool.... Send some Pic's if you get it to work would like to try this if it works, for my GPS and PPC-6600. I'm always on the road and a bigger screen for GPS would be great.

Interesting idea....I always wanted a slightly larger screen for my GPS ..... I'm curious to see how you make out... I have the touchscreen already but the one thing that makes me curious is will Co-pilot Live 5 display correctly in landscape mode.... Good luck .....

Looks pretty slick....but what is the price tag for the whole set up?
    Hobbes
    Writer for WMExperts.com
    www.wmexperts.com/ | www.wmexperts.com/reviews/ | discussion.wmexperts.com/

About $380 for the Xenarc touchscreen and $246 for the Pitch Duo. Lilliput also makes a good touchscreen for $280. Total cost about $530 - $630.
    E46fanatic

I'm a total loser and I've been banned!!!
    That would look good in my E31

E

The only problem I forsee would be contecting the touch screen up to the 6600. (usb or otherwise), you'd need a driver that supports it.

[Windows XP does support such things out of the box, but calibration and what not seems to be custom in all the units I've seen].

Good luck and let us know,
    Byron

edit: Pondering the usb output of the touchscreen. I don't think its compatible with mice, but you could try using a usb to ps2 dongle attaching it that way. (those are cheap). Attaching it direct to the pda is probably out of the question.

A bluetooth mouse may be more in order..
    Last edited by bfaber; 03-03-2005 at 10:08 AM.

In his fist post, look for the part that says "Pitch Duo."

Ehud

Originally posted by Ehud

Ehud
    I did.. doesn't appear to speak touch-screen. Just ps/2. touch screen's deliver coordinates of a touch.. and need to be calibrated amongst other things. You could try using a usb to ps/2 dongle to patch through the device, but I don't think they're compatible.

Mostly thinking 'out loud'
    btf

Originally posted by Ehud

Ehud
    Oh.. I see what you're asking.

No. The vga screen has two parts. VGA display, and a usb overlay that supports touching. The touch-screen part is physically separate from the vga screen. (we use these at work on stuff I program).

I'm musing how to get the touch-screen part to work. Everything else should work out of the box.

btf

Any progress on this? I just picked up a convertible Vette and have am not putting in my Pioneer GPS, the factory radio rocks. I was thinking about putting in a Xenarc screen and hooking it up to either a spare laptop or my PPC.
    iPhone 3GS !!

E, how do you like your E31? I'd love to pick one up sometime, but the prices are skyhigh on eBay!

I love it! I got mine with 50K miles for $18K... 2 years ago. Ever since then apparently there's been a resurgence in interest
    E

any update on the original topic?

Sounds like an idea i currently run the indash version... have fun trying to get the resolution perfect id love to see the outcome.....
    MotoQ HELO Q Sprint ROCKS
    PPC6601 Harrier THE TREONATOR
    Phones I have Treo300,Treo600,Treo650,G1000,PPC6600/1,PPC6700,MotoQ

pdaman, are you saying your doing this right now with an indash screen? can you elaborate ?

I bought the Xenarc 7" touchscreen, but am just going to hook up an old laptop to it. If anyone finds a solution for the PPC I would love to have that hooked in as well. Maybe I can activesync it and use one of those programs that let you run your PPC on your PC screen.
    iPhone 3GS !!

Insane PDAer with a MOGUL!!!! centauress's Avatar
    This is just a crazy idea off the top of my head, but wouldn't the touchscreen use a 'tablet' driver? The two are essentially the same type of device; they allow a pinpoint position to be relayed to the computer.

The only visible difference I can see between the two is that the touchscreen has a displat behind the coordinate matrix...

If that's too crazy of an idea, let me know...
    Sprint customer since Mar 01, PPC user since Apr 04 and Technophile since birth!
    Oct 06: Now completely convereged, connected and livin' large! Tablet PC+PPC = Ultimate Happiness!!! Woo-Hoo!