+ Reply to Thread

Restore possible after PPC6601 upgrade?

Howdy...

I'm wondering if it's possible to perform the 6601 upgrade without having to reinstall everything from scratch... I have TONs of programs on my PPC, and the thought of reinstalling everything has led me to postpone my upgrade...

Anyone know if you can do a partial restore? And not restore the files that are replaced with the upgrade?

I have Sprite Backup. I think it will let you select the files you want to backup, so if we knew which files were changed, we could do the restore and avoid changing the newer files...

Any thoughts? I'd love to get this done without having to reinstall everything from scratch...

Thanks for your input:

- Ben
    Ben Freedman

Re: Restore possible after PPC6601 upgrade?

Originally posted by ben1000
    Howdy...

I'm wondering if it's possible to perform the 6601 upgrade without having to reinstall everything from scratch... I have TONs of programs on my PPC, and the thought of reinstalling everything has led me to postpone my upgrade...

Anyone know if you can do a partial restore? And not restore the files that are replaced with the upgrade?

I have Sprite Backup. I think it will let you select the files you want to backup, so if we knew which files were changed, we could do the restore and avoid changing the newer files...

Any thoughts? I'd love to get this done without having to reinstall everything from scratch...

Thanks for your input:

- Ben
    It does a full rom burn and hard reset. You can restore.. but apparently the restores overwrite several version numbers stored in the registry.... In the end, everybody here has largely suggested one does not reload from a backup, but rather reinstall.

If you've installed everything from your PC, you fireup activesync after you finish the upgrade. (you'll have to give a new name for the pairing), then in activesync select Tools/Add-Remove programs.

Everything you've installed (apps) should be there.

Select them all (or some as the case may be). Install. Boom, you're done.

[except for retyping serial numbers as the case may be.]

btf

Sprite backup added ROM upgrade restore capability. Check this out, and let us know how it works.

http://spritesoftware.crmdesk.com/answer.aspx?id=66

Originally posted by TonyH
    Sprite backup added ROM upgrade restore capability. Check this out, and let us know how it works.

http://spritesoftware.crmdesk.com/answer.aspx?id=66
    $30 for a backup program?

Wow..
    btf

Re: Re: Restore possible after PPC6601 upgrade?

Originally posted by bfaber
    If you've installed everything from your PC, you fireup activesync after you finish the upgrade. (you'll have to give a new name for the pairing), then in activesync select Tools/Add-Remove programs.

btf
    I read on another post that you can delete the relationship instead of giving it a new name? Can you still sync if you delete the relationship?

Can someone explain how to do this? I'm planning on upgrading soon.

Thanks

Re: Re: Re: Restore possible after PPC6601 upgrade?

Originally posted by maybetreo
    I read on another post that you can delete the relationship instead of giving it a new name? Can you still sync if you delete the relationship?

Can someone explain how to do this? I'm planning on upgrading soon.

Thanks
    Ya.. when your pda is not in the cradle, go to file/mobile device. Make sure your profile is selected.. (for the one you want to delete).

Select file/delete partnership.

Resync.. you should be good.

btf

Sickwidit
    Restoring a backup from a previous rom many times will lead to problems. the only time this isn't the case is when the update replaces files in rom but doesn't erase everything from the device. I konw it's a headache but it's better to reinstall you apps from scratch than to restore a backup from the previous rom. Many of times the restore will overwrite the files that were just updated.
    Eric Hicks, Microsoft MVP, Mobile-Devices
    My Devices
    Four PPC6600's, One PPC6700, Three PPC6800's,One Treo 700w,One Jas Jar,One Pantec Duo,One T-mobile Dash...Do I have too many devices?

So no restore........ got it!
    LAK
    Sprint 6800/Mogul
    6700, 6600

Will try the Sprite Backup method for restoring after a ROM Upgrade... Will post my results in a separate thread...

Thanks for the info..

- Ben
    Ben Freedman

Originally posted by ben1000
    Will try the Sprite Backup method for restoring after a ROM Upgrade... Will post my results in a separate thread...

Thanks for the info..

- Ben
    Why the seperate thread?

Because this thread was to ask the question as to whether it could be done. The other thread details my experience actually doing it by one specific method...

Sort of like 1 thread asking when the 6600 would be out, and then another detailing someone's experience after getting it.

Just makes this more clear and easier to search for, IMHO..

- B.
    Ben Freedman

Originally posted by gameboy213
    So no restore........ got it!
    You can safely restore, if and only if:

1. You did not have multiple patches installed
    2. You were not having strange problems because of some apps.

If any of the above applies then you'd be better off with fresh installs after the update.