+ Reply to Thread

Upgrade 6601 WITHOUT having to reinstall apps...

Howdy...

In another thread I was bemoaning the fact that I'd have to reinstall all my apps if I wanted to do the ROM upgrade.

Thankfully, the wonderful TonyH pointed out this link:

http://spritesoftware.crmdesk.com/answer.aspx?id=66

Apparently, Sprite Software has a 'ROM UPGRADE RESTORE' feature that allows you to restore your apps after a ROM upgrade without replacing the ROM with the earlier, non-upgraded version...

Happy to be a guinea pig for this, with the possible reward of not having to dig up all my serial numbers etc..., I took the plunge...

Basically, I'd have to say "YIPPEE!!". By following the instructions on the Sprite Backup site, I was able to easily backup my PPC, hard reset, copy the 'rom data image' to the Sprite backup, then upgrade my ROM, and use the restore function of Sprite to restore, without affecting the backup...

The upshot of which is a fully-restored 6601 without having to reinstall any apps, and without overwriting the upgraded ROM. My device info page confirms that the new ROM is still in place...

Although I'm a registered user of Sprite, I believe there's an eval that is fully functional if anyone wants to use this method...

A couple of things were not restored, however... My theme, some of the today-plugins, and my button assignments...

Thanks again, Tony, and best of luck to everyone else...

Smiles,

Ben
    Ben Freedman

I'm a total loser and I've been banned!!!

More than a theory... It's worked for me...

- B.
    Ben Freedman

I guess it depends on what "works" means. Lots of people restored and were perfectly happy. It's just the few registry settings that got overwritten that were the subject of discussion here.

Did you restore the registry? When you did, did you overwrite any of the new settings with the old settings?

Ehud

It's good to know but given how the phone is designed it's almost impossible to do. How can it possibly know the difference between an "application" that updates the registry and windows directory and a patch that updates the registry and windows directory. In theory the BroadComm patch for stereo headset is really an application did it restore that? Does everyone want something like that restored. It's good it worked for you but given how flakey these phones are I would not trust it. Now if I had 30 licensed apps I might think differently.

I think it selectively restored the registry. I guess you're right in that I can't be sure absolutely everything is still updated (although, it's not like we even know exactly what was in the update...)

Still, all the ROM numbers and the BT versions are the new, upgraded ones, and the whole process took about 10 minutes (not including the actual upgrade itself). MUCH faster than me searching for all my serial numbers, configuring all my apps just the way I had them, etc... That would have been hours of work...

I probably do have 20-30 apps installed... I shudder just thinking about it. Seeing's how I had no problem with the BOD before, and only use BT sparingly, I probably would have deferred the upgrade altogether had I not found this route...

Smiles,

Ben
    Ben Freedman

Glad everything worked out for you, Ben. So, how is the bluetooth headset performance after the factory update? Did you test under various noise conditions, and move the phone around, get it out of sight from the BT headset, etc, etc?

FYI I keep all my cabs and serial.txt files on a storage card. Reinstall from hard reset is a simple matter of
    1. Set flight mode (don't want to receive SMS without previous restored)
    2. Set date (don't want the calendard to tell me about all the missed appointments)
    3. Permanent Store -> contacts, appointments (restores them all)
    4. Sprite backup self-unarchive-restore select ONLY email and the telephone history (speed dial and call history). This includes a reset at the end
    5. Restore to non-flight mode.
    6. Reinstall other apps

I've done this about 20-30 times while testing BT and other patches. It's about a 20 minute process. The only long part is that Sprite Backup likes to "Patch mail databases" even while restoring to an empty device.

Note: You will have to re-enter your settings (including email account passwords) as those are stored in the registry, which is purposely excluded from this process.

Ehud

Thankfully, my email settings are in wismail, which restored correclty after the upgrade...

Don't use BT much, so I haven't tested it, but I am upgraded to 3500 even after the restore. Didn't have many probs with it before, however...

Smiles,

Ben
    Ben Freedman