+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Top five Missing Features for 66XX

5) Double the battery capacity
    4) Low power (Ipod) mode (100mhz)
    3) Compact Flash slot for 4gig HD (or built in)
    2) Wifi

And the number one missing feature

1) VGA screen (640 x 480 3.7")

Otherwise I love my 6601.

Re: Top five Missing Features for 66XX

Originally posted by g-borg
    5) Double the battery capacity
    4) Low power (Ipod) mode (100mhz)
    3) Compact Flash slot for 4gig HD (or built in)
    2) Wifi
    And the number one missing feature

1) VGA screen (640 x 480 3.7")
    Otherwise I love my 6601.
    You just increased the price by another $300. You don't think those things come for free do you?

btf

Re: Re: Top five Missing Features for 66XX

Originally posted by bfaber
    You just increased the price by another $300. You don't think those things come for free do you?

btf

Will you take a check?

Re: Re: Re: Top five Missing Features for 66XX

Originally posted by g-borg
    Will you take a check?
    Actually, I'd be more concerned about the power and size impact of those features.

Wifi = huge power drain. VGA = power drain. CF = power drain and more space. Bigger battery = space.

Frankly.. no. Only VGA of those is perhaps worth the effort in my opinion. The others I don't want or already have. (100mhz I can do, and the performance sucks).

btf

WiFi comes in handy when you need it. Cruising at 1.5 MBPS on a PPC is a pleasant experience.

VGA is also nice. If Dell and HP can do it then so can Audiovox and Siemens. Hell, the T650--an inferior product compared to this has 320X320 res; not exactly VGA, but web browsing looks much better.

Agree that wifi would be nice - even in areas with EVDO - having the option to use wifi would be a big PLUS. (SD card wifi is a non starter - break-off potential etc...)

XCPUScalar can set the power lower for you if you need.
    I have enough trouble overcoming my own limitations without fretting over the fact that God hasn't seen fit to distribute evenly the gift of intelligence.

Originally posted by TonyH
    WiFi comes in handy when you need it. Cruising at 1.5 MBPS on a PPC is a pleasant experience.

VGA is also nice. If Dell and HP can do it then so can Audiovox and Siemens. Hell, the T650--an inferior product compared to this has 320X320 res; not exactly VGA, but web browsing looks much better.
    As an engineer, I'd note that HP and Dell do NOT do cdma/gsm. Those take lots of power. Something HP and Dell don't have to worry about.

I'm not saying it can't be done.. but that there are different constraints in place.

edit: Oh.. ya, HP did do GSM, and their solution? Downclock the cpu to insanely low levels, causing it all to suck.

btf

The Siemens version of this phone, SX66, has built-in Wifi. I love that feature and use it quite often, both at home and at hotspots. When not in WiFi range, my phone kicks into GPRS mode seamlessly.

I'm not sure what your point is about being able to produce a VGA screen, and what that has to do with CDMA or GPRS.
    Last edited by TonyH; 03-01-2005 at 10:48 PM.

Originally posted by TonyH
    The Siemens version of this phone, SX66, has built-in Wifi. I love that feature and use it quite often, both at home and at hotspots. When not in WiFi range, my phone kicks into GPRS mode seamlessly.

I'm not sure what your point is about being able to produce a VGA screen, and what that has to do with CDMA or GPRS.
    Its a concern about total power draw mostly.

As for your Siemens.. yes it has wifi. Known. It doesn't have EVDO.. known. (There's also a limited space issue to deal with).

btf

Ah....but dreaming is always fun.

Here would be my perfect phone :
    • Treo form factor (without the antenna).
    • But the keyboard would slide down for a PPC-660x size screen when needed and the OS would recognize what screen mode (or actually the screen would slide up to keep the weight at the bottom for easy balance for typing). That way those who like the small form factor have it and never have to slide it to a larger size for more screen real estate, while those who need the extra screen have it.
    • Portrait & Landscape
    • OS: Just like a desktop....A dual boot to either Palm Colbalt & PPC 2005 as I have programs I love on both OS's
    • With the dual boot, there would be a common database format compatible with both OS's so common info, i.e....contacts, emails, tasks, etc...can be accessed and edited no matter OS you have loaded.
    • Dual radios...one for data and one for voice so both can used at same time, at least until EVDV becomes available.
    • True VGA screen resolution
    • At least a 1.3 mp camera (saw the first 5 mp cell phone camera the other day in a magazine).
    • Complete office software solution
    • Full Blackberry support and compatible (which is what the latest version of the 660x is going to have when released soon in EU).
    • Voice Command included.
    • Non crippled Bluetooth
    • Built in Wifi
    • CDMA (aka available through Sprint)
    • EVDO
    • No atenna
    • GPS. Just like the folding the GPS antenna, but removable with a port in back of phone where a removable GPS antenna can be snapped on and off as needed.
    • At least, bare minimum, 128 mb of memory, with how cheap memory is now there would also be a 1 gb internal mem option. I figure a dual boot OS option would take around 100 meg of internal memory so high mem is a must.
    • Graphic chip accelator that will be released for PDAs this next year.
    • At least a 600mhz processor.
    • two sd slots for memory and accessory.
    • No thicker than the 650
    • And of course, since we are dreaming....no bugs with the first release.
    I would be happy then....

FOLLOW UP NOTES: As for graphics accelator...nVidia has announced their new GoForce 4500 3D that will be released soon. This will provide arcade quality graphics and performance to PPCs. You can see it at http://www.nvidia.com/page/goforce_3d_4500.html . You can also see some screenshots at http://www.nvidia.com/page/pg_20040916183808.html . Here is one of favorites: http://www.nvidia.com/docs/CP/10085...ndheld_Demo.jpg

I think that my dream phone is VERY reasonable today...or at least as soon as the GoForce is released. Whoever wakes up and smells the market demand by making it, could become the new leader in the industry.....as long they do not shoot themselves in the foot with never ending bugs.
    Last edited by HobbesIsReal; 03-02-2005 at 03:11 AM.
    Hobbes
    Writer for WMExperts.com
    www.wmexperts.com/ | www.wmexperts.com/reviews/ | discussion.wmexperts.com/

Actually if we are dreaming how about a quantum processor. A lightspeed processor just might be able to handle my needs.

You know seriously though (and off topic).....if you had an 660x or a 650 back in like 1970......there is no doubt your life would be in grave danger as I don't think there would be a gov that wouldn't kill to get such advanced technology then as we take for granted now.

It is pretty amazing to think that our cell phones today are more powerful than any home computer up to probably around 1990-93 or so. I started way back with a Texas Instruments and Commodore64. My monitor had a huge capacity of 2 colors, counting the black background. But I remember my first love of a computer in 1991. It was a Tandy 1000 (cant remember if it was a 286 or 386). I was the envy of everyone because I upgraded to a whopping 1 mb of memory and a massive 10 mb harddrive. The new GoForce chip is probably 20 times more powerful than that simple vga graphics card was.
    Hobbes
    Writer for WMExperts.com

hello there, the dream device is already in the makeing, I saw a post before for the XDA IV has vga screen, two camera, one for pic one for video conference and large keyboard wiht wifi, bluetooth, UMTS etc... also check out OQO phone (in testing soemwhere in england), 1 G processor, 3 MB speed, windows XP pro, firewire and USB, bluetooth and wifi......the dreams are real, but we are just noit getting it yet

Originally posted by ruppok
    hello there, the dream device is already in the makeing, I saw a post before for the XDA IV has vga screen, two camera, one for pic one for video conference and large keyboard wiht wifi, bluetooth, UMTS etc... also check out OQO phone (in testing soemwhere in england), 1 G processor, 3 MB speed, windows XP pro, firewire and USB, bluetooth and wifi......the dreams are real, but we are just noit getting it yet
    I must learn (and obsess) everything I can about this XDA IV. Please post links to any information possible. Even a vaporware publicity photo would be great. I hope it has sprint or verizon EVDO.

Originally posted by HobbesIsReal
    Ah....but dreaming is always fun.

Here would be my perfect phone

FOLLOW UP NOTES: As for graphics accelator...nVidia has announced their new GoForce 4500 3D that will be released soon. This will provide arcade quality graphics and performance to PPCs. You can see it at http://www.nvidia.com/page/goforce_3d_4500.html . You can also see some screenshots at http://www.nvidia.com/page/pg_20040916183808.html . Here is one of favorites: http://www.nvidia.com/docs/CP/10085...ndheld_Demo.jpg

I think that my dream phone is VERY reasonable today...or at least as soon as the GoForce is released. Whoever wakes up and smells the market demand by making it, could become the new leader in the industry.....as long they do not shoot themselves in the foot with never ending bugs.
    Well, since we're dreaming, I want a direct neural link, or hell an embedded chip in my SKULL.

Having a degree in physics, I always got annoyed at the common misconceptions about what quantum processors were or did. (And of course a fair number of physisists didn't correct people, because frankly they got more money from people didn't understand, then people who did).

Your dream pda? Possible. You'll have to wait for your dream portable nuclear power plant thought.

Or something to power it with your desires alone...

[that said, I agree.. vga should have been in _this_ product].
    btf
    Last edited by bfaber; 03-02-2005 at 09:44 AM.

here is the link to oqo phone

http://www.msmobiles.com/news.php/3554.html will try to get teh pic of xda 4 for you

her eis the link to xda 4 from t mobile

http://www.mrgadget.com.au/2005/02/o...y-dave-at.html

enjoy

Originally posted by ruppok
    her eis the link to xda 4 from t mobile

http://www.mrgadget.com.au/2005/02/o...y-dave-at.html

enjoy
    Ya.. One problem though.. its tmobile.

btf

also from one of these site, they mention t-mo will be able to up grade this to the new magneto?? ( PPC 2005) when it will be out..

too bad t-mo sucks in the US, I want one in VZW. with both CDMA/GSM umts/ evdo wifi, bluetooth commercial IR.... etc and whatever they use in that oqo phone too..to get 3 MB rate

Originally posted by bfaber
    Having a degree in physics, I always got annoyed at the common misconceptions about what quantum processors were or did. (And of course a fair number of physisists didn't correct people, because frankly they got more money from people didn't understand, then people who did).
    So I understand (and really do want to know), and using the correct terminology, what is the new technology called that they are developing that will be using light instead of electrical pulses through silicon in the processors and motherboards.

Or litterally transporting (and transfering) data with no connection, like they did last year when they transported molecoles several inches (like a Star Trek transporter for molecoles). I think this one is being called, accurately or not, a quantum processor.

And what is the technology called where they plan on actually "growing" motherboards and processors. They published that they "grew" the first electrical circuit around 3 years ago.

Man, I will tell you that Sci-fiction is soon going to have to keep up with the realities of science!
    Last edited by HobbesIsReal; 03-02-2005 at 11:25 AM.
    Hobbes
    Writer for WMExperts.com