+ Reply to Thread

6600 - CRAPPY Image / Video Quality!?

Hey guys I just got my 6600 and I freaking love it!!! accept for one little problem...the image/video quality sucks! now i notice when in preview mode the image is great but as soon as u snap the pick or capture video the quailty goes to sh*t. does anyone know a work around for this....also please forgive me if this topic already came up in another post...i checked but didnt see anything on it....

Administrator
    the camera in this machine is very low res. you can adjust the settings to 'fine', but that wont help much.

try to light the subject as best you can. this will improve signal to noise in the final snapshot.

there may be some settings in the reg that can be tweaked but no one has found out yet...

I really think you could replace "xv6600 - crappy image" with "insert any camera phone - crappy image". If you check forums on about any camera phone, there are plenty of topics blasting the cameras. It's sad, but phone cameras seem to just be novelties that don't take quality pictures.

I had a Motorola V710 before my 6600 and it claimed to have a 1.3 mega pixel camera. Guess what, the biggest complaint (after the crippled bluetooth) was the crappy camera.

Yes, this camera is a low resolution one, so you can't expect much quality. It's like the resolution on a Barbie digital camera (640 x 480) so you won't get much out of it.

I was really tempted to wait and get the Verizon camera version, but after some deep thinking, I decided to skip on it.

I thought so too. I only waited because I figured the camera version would have some of the bugs fixed and it seems to.

Still, I took a couple pictures travelling on my last business trip. It was nice to show the family where I go when I travel. The pictures weren't great, but they did the job. And I certainly wouldn't bring a GOOD camera just to take those.

Also, in a car accident, I will probably want it. Take video of the other driver walking around fine with no injuries, take pictures of the damage to the cars..., etc.

Administrator
    this is why cam phones are popular!!! no one expects them to be 10 billion pixel CCDs and take award winning images... atleast not yet...

Originally posted by PRMan
    I took a couple pictures travelling on my last business trip. It was nice to show the family where I go when I travel. The pictures weren't great, but they did the job. And I certainly wouldn't bring a GOOD camera just to take those.

Also, in a car accident, I will probably want it. Take video of the other driver walking around fine with no injuries, take pictures of the damage to the cars..., etc.

Smile

cool i adjusted it to superfine and it looks much better...thanks

I also upped the video to 320x240. Cool.

Originally posted by PRMan
    I thought so too. I only waited because I figured the camera version would have some of the bugs fixed and it seems to.

Still, I took a couple pictures travelling on my last business trip. It was nice to show the family where I go when I travel. The pictures weren't great, but they did the job. And I certainly wouldn't bring a GOOD camera just to take those.

my point exactly.....you know you need a phone....your always going to have your "phone" with you.....why not it be a crappy camera or camecorder for when the oppertunity arises

Ya know, it makes me think all those pictures and videos of UFO's, bigfoot, loch ness monster, etc were taken by people with camera phones.

They're always so grainy.

PPC-6600 Camera Quality

Is there any way to make the camera better? The photos and video are very fuzzy, even when set on Very Fine, and smallest size photo. My photos look like 1 mega pixel, or probably worse.

Can the camera photo quality be upgraded with better software? I feel like something can be done because the viewer look crystal clear, until you take the picture, then its fuzz city.

Help!!! Thanks.

P.S. If somebody could give me a tip on how to play local FM stations on my phone, that would be a big help to. Thanks
    :homer: Internet KING :homer:

Email Audiovox,
    I read somewhere (i don't remember) that quoted that they did not feel the the camera was and issue as they have received very few complaint regarding the camera.

It’s sad when you show off your $600 phone/pda and the camera has less quality than a swap meet disposable camera

Administrator
    take the camera for what its worth. being able to take pics at a moments notice.

look in our registry hack threads to read on the tips others have done in regards to camera quality.. these sensors need plenty of light to get a decent image, so rememeber that next time you want to take some undercover images...

in regards to the fm issue, search ...

wanna know something funny....when i place the pictures i take and the videos on the psp they look amazing....i dont know what the psp does but sheesh what a diff lol

Administrator
    LOL the screen on the PSP will make anything look good. this screen is nothing short of amazing...

smaller, faster, clearer, longer battery life, etc.....

when you bought it,...it became obsolete! if you are concerned amout wasting your money on obsolete products......then hold off
    purchasing......but then you wont have the cool toys.....

I cant wait to see what will be available a decade from now, and i bet the complaints will continue....
    HTC Mogul, ROM 3.35.651.2, RADIO 3.35.04 Protocol DCAAXAM-4350H, PRL 60610, HW 0003
    (former PPC6600 user; 2005-12/2007)

Re: PPC-6600 Camera Quality

Originally posted by mwita06
    P.S. If somebody could give me a tip on how to play local FM stations on my phone, that would be a big help to. Thanks
    Here is a site I use to play local stations.
    http://www.mikesradioworld.com/index.html

If you browse by location, you can find your state and thus your local stations. I stream all day while at work. I am in St Louis and use a station out of Columbia, MO to listen to Bob & Tom.

Rich

Another problem with the video is that by default it is limited to only 250kb in size. Here is a post I submitted on another thread that might help you as well:

Record videos only limited to the size of your SD Card.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The 6600 limits the size of any video to only 250 kb by default. As a result you can only take a 8 - 25 sec video depending on the resolution you have selected. I set out to fix this huge limitation....

It took me all night going line by line in the Registry, but I did it....I figured out to disable the size limitation for taking videos. Before at the highest resolution I could only take about a 8 sec video because of the 250 kb size cap. I just took a 3 minute video at that same resolution that ended up being 4.7 mb.

It is in the registry........

THE LONG WAY TO FIX IT
    HKey Local Machine\Software\HTC\Camera\AppDefSettings\2\

The numbers under AppDefSettings corresponds to the numbers found in the camera options...mode tab. Or the 4 icons in the bottom right corner of the camera app for:

1-Taking a Picture
    2-Video
    3-Picture with Frames
    4-Picture for Contacts

Under 2 in the registry you will see the value EnableLimit. Change this to 0 instead of 1. Close your camera app if running and start it up again. Change the default folder to an SD card folder, and now you are good to go with recording videos only limited to the size of your SD Card.

NOW THE EASY WAY TO DO IT:
    To add the to option to have the size limit enable and to what size in the mode tab in the camera app, then edit this in the registry:

Go to
    HKey Local Machine\Software\HTC\Camera\Common\

Change the value of HideLimitSizeItem from 1 to 0.

Now close and restart you camera app. Click on Tools/Options/Mode Tab. And now you have new check box line to limit the size limit or not and with size if you do!!!!!!

I hope this helps.

FOOTNOTE: Editing the registry can be fatal to your system, requiring a hard reset, if you do something wrong. Always back up everything before editing your registry.
    Hobbes
    Writer for WMExperts.com
    www.wmexperts.com/ | www.wmexperts.com/reviews/ | discussion.wmexperts.com/