+ Reply to Thread

Question Verizon EVDO Bandwidth Usage Question

I use my 6600 as a modem and connect my laptop to the Internet through it. I've been using my connection to stream music via Rhapsody and wanted to know if there were any badwidth restrictions? I have the unlimited service for $45/month, but I didn't know if there was some sort of glass ceiling that I'm going to run into.

Does anyone else do this? I probably download about 300megs a day.

I would hope that unlimited means just that. I don't see you using so much that Verizon would say anything. Are you using the EVDO network? How are the speeds and service?

I get about 400/128 in speed tests at www.chi.speakeasy.net. It's a good test server that's physically located in Chicago.

Yes, I'm on the EVDO network and the speeds are fantastic. Since our company altered their firewall to restrict all sorts of programs like Rhapsody, iTunes and MSN Messenger I just hook my laptop up to the modem and use the Internet without restrictions.

When necessary I VPN into the network and do what I need to do. It's great and worth every penny IMHO.

My Bluetooth is built in!
    I would be cautious with my usage. I can not find the link at the moment but the last time this was discussed on howardforums verizon section several 'unlimited data' subscribers described how they had their data plans terminated for excessive usage.

Definitions of excessive may range from a few hundred MB to a few GB per month depending on the value of the customer and how consistent the usage is.

one customer posted this letter: http://blueskyhills.com/public/cell_...ar_11_2004.jpg

The 'legal' justification for this seems to be the terms and conditions stating usage will be unlimited so long as it doesnt impact the QOS of other users. Or statements like verizons "...It cannot be used with any machine-to-machine applications..." (which if literaly enforced would proclude all internet access...)
    PPC-6700, Treo 700wx, Samsung IP-i830w, Motorola i580, LG Fusic. Mix well, add accessories, consume.

Good to know thanks for the heads up. My intention is not to abuse it, but I'll keep a close eye on how much I download.