+ Reply to Thread

Verizon "Wireless Sync" client

Two newbie questions -- I have my XV-6600 from Verizon with the unlimited broadband plan, and I am in Center City Philadelphia, which has EVDO. I have the "EV" indicator lit on my screen.

First question: Does anyone know what the benefits fo the Wireless Sync client are, i.e., should I use it? I can synch with my exchange server wirelessly, so does the Wireless Sync client get me anything?

Question 2: When I am undocked and have the EV indicator lit, I attempt to check messages, and the bubble pops up saying ""Connecting to CDMA2000. Using: Cellular Line"
    It's dialing #777. Is this supposed to happen on EVDO? It *looks* like it's dialing up, as opposed to using the EVDO, but I don't know enough about what is happening to know if this is what it's supposed to do.

Thanks in advance.

Mark

If you can sync with Exchange directly, lose the VZW client. Uninstall it from the device, you don't need it.

And yes, EVDO still goes through the 'dial-up' routine when it connects.
    -Lee
    Samsung i730
    Ridata 1GB SD Card, Transcend 4GB SD card, PPC Tech Audio Adapter

msimpsonnj -

It is pretty simple to sync with Outlook directly but I don't understand how you'd sync with a corporate Exchange Server without the use of some 3rd party software (e.g. Goodlink, Visto, WS, Seven, etc.).

How are you doing it? Does it do true mail "push"?

ITA that if you can get what you want without any middleware - great! Dump Wireless Sync with quickness.

I use Domino/Notes at a very large corporation and WS is the only way I can access my mail & calendar with this phone without setting up some hokie forwarding agent. What I really want is a BB client.
    iPhone 4S BB8830/Treo700wx/Treo700w/ XV6600/Treo600/Kyo7135

If you have access to your exchange server (2003) you can setup activesync over the network.

http://www.microsoft.com/exchange/ev...eAccessWP.mspx

Wireless Sync is good when you are behind a firewall and have no control over your firewall or exchange server. The downside is you need a computer that is always on behind your fierwall and is able to open an exchange mailbox.

Don't forget that once you start using wireless sync your data is uploaded to www2.wirelesssync.vzw.com which might be against corporate policy.

So to answer your question, if you can sync directly to your exchange server skip wireless sync.

Both EVDO and 1XRTT dial the same number #777
    AT&T Jailbroken Iphone 3G 2.2

thanks everyone

Yep, I'm synching with a 2003 Exchange Server and it works wonderfully. Slowly, with everyone's help, I'm starting to figure this out. Preparing to dump Wireless Sync......

What is the process to remove the Verizon wireless sync apps? I use GoodLink and would love to remove the verizon sync icon and the apps on my PPC

That was going ot be my next question to the group, after conducting a little research. Don't have time right now....so I'll be watching for replies!

Originally posted by whompa
    What is the process to remove the Verizon wireless sync apps? I use GoodLink and would love to remove the verizon sync icon and the apps on my PPC
    Just Use the Remove Program app.
    -Lee
    Samsung i730

I believe Exchange ActiveSync (EAS) uses specially-formatted SMS messages to signal the XV6600 to call in and sync; and it was mentioned in another thread that there could be charges associated with these SMS messages since it's not part of the unlimited Broadband access.

Has anyone checked their charges (try #DATA) to make sure they're not being charged for EAS syncing to the device?

Thanks!!

Originally posted by IvanLasston
    If you have access to your exchange server (2003) you can setup activesync over the network.

http://www.microsoft.com/exchange/ev...eAccessWP.mspx

Wireless Sync is good when you are behind a firewall and have no control over your firewall or exchange server. The downside is you need a computer that is always on behind your fierwall and is able to open an exchange mailbox.

Don't forget that once you start using wireless sync your data is uploaded to www2.wirelesssync.vzw.com which might be against corporate policy.

So to answer your question, if you can sync directly to your exchange server skip wireless sync.

Both EVDO and 1XRTT dial the same number #777

If IMAP is enabled on your Exchange Server you can sync with your server and it's a true sync--as opposed to push email. I've found that IMAP is the best way to maintain continuity between my XV600 and my actual Outlook connection.

The problem with IMAP is that it's only for eMail. If you want full sync of Contacts and Calendar also, you should use Exchange ActiveSync rather than just configuring an IMAP email server.
    -Lee
    Samsung i730

Oh, I do AS when I'm in the office, but when I'm on the road or in the car I use IMAP to get my mail. Every couple of days I'll hook it up and use AS just to keep all my appointments/notes current.

I think you're talking about ActiveSync (the Desktop App)? We (or at least I) have been referring to Exchange ActiveSync, which is built into MS Exchange 2003.
    -Lee
    Samsung i730

We're running Exchange 2003 here at the office as well. What do I need to do to start using Exchange Activesync via my wireless conneciton?

Any articles or links would be greatly appreciated. Sorry for the confusion on my part...

drmorley

Basically, all you really need is the Public IP of the server, or the fully qualified domain name. If you use Outlook Web Access, use that same IP/FQDN as the Servername in the ActiveSync Setup on the device and it should work.

As an alternative method, when creating a new partnership, select the "Sync w/ Server" option. I've found that this tends to put the local NetBios name in the Server line, so I have to go and set it to the FQDN anyway.

See the Exchange ActiveSync FAQ and Client Access Guide at this link: http://www.microsoft.com/technet/pro...y/default.mspx
    -Lee
    Samsung i730

I am dying to dump the Wireless sync application but can not get Exchange Server Activesync to work and don't have authority from the boss to blow a Microsfot Service call on this issue. (I am getting HTTP 500 internal server errors - Outlook Mobile Access works fine). Does anyone know a good forum for discussing Exchange Active-Sync issues. I've searched the newgroups and made some posts but the threads are never very well tended... Thanks.

Are you using SSL on the Exchange Server? If so, I've been having some issues with that as well. But, did you try the MS KB?
    http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;886346
    -Lee
    Samsung i730

I have SSL on my Exchange server but think it is configured correctly (I did have to create a new Virtual directory to get OMA to work because I forced SSL on the OWA directory which somehow killed OMA).

I have not tried the fix in that knowledgebase because I only have one SMTP mail address... Should I try it anyway? Is there any downside applying it that anyone is aware of?

I also have Sharepoint server installed on this box...anyone else have issues with Exchange activesync working on a sharepoint box?

-eric

VZW xv6600
    Looking for a good case, suggestions?

Last edited by plainlanguage; 03-03-2005 at 04:44 PM.

It's not just that you only have 1 SMTP. Is your email address in the same format as the default (usually, the default is your email address is identical to your login ID)?

Search the MS KB on "Exchange Activesync" and 2003. There are a couple of issues that you probably need to be aware of.

BTW - I'm running Sharepoint Services (not Portal Server) on the same box with no problem.
    -Lee
    Samsung i730

i was able to set it up and work fine for about 2 hours. then i keep getting the http_500.

i tried the smtp reg fix. well it didn't work..now i am complete lost. any suggestion.

g35mt
    Last edited by g35mt; 03-03-2005 at 07:22 PM.