+ Reply to Thread

dam, lost lots of info when i hard reset and resynced...didnt know that i had ....

i thought all setting would be remembered and all files would be restored like when i use a palm. there isnt a backup folder like palm has?
    so no big deal really b/c i just got the phone but what is best way to backup all info? use the built in program with my sd card. will it autoatically restore the info after hard reset? or do i need to do something to copy the bckup back into the phone 6600

Look at Pocket Gear or Handango for Sprite Backup, get the premium version. Wouldn't use anything else! It's the best.
    SteveM
    Sprint HTC EVO 4G

I'm a total loser and I've been banned!!!
    Or do Xbackup. All resynch gets you is contacts, calendar, tasks, and categories.
    (You can just set those to store in Storage... control panels -> system -> permanent save)

Ehud

There are 3 methods to back up everything (contacts, programs, settings, registry, etc...). You can use Active Sync, xBackup, or 3rd party software such as Sprite. If you do a little search, you'll see the pros and cons of each. In a nutshell, Sprite is much faster than the other two, configurable, and a really nice program. But if you have the time and don't want to spend the money, I'd use xBackup, which is already on the device. With it you can back everything up, or just the contacts/calendar stuff.
    Jeremiah 29:11

Just to add... I use sprite backup twice daily (once mid morning and once last thing at night). I also use xbackup before any major software install...
    E

dont you have to pay for the sprint one?

EHUD...

I have searched (& read what I could find), but have a question (or two...):
    - Have Sprite Premium.
    - Have a VZW XV6600woc, with the 3500C patches & an AX BT earpiece (BT GPS is next).
    - Would like to entertain moving to the ROM update, but:
    -- It doesn't appear to do that much for me other than what I get in the 3500C patch, right? So WHY do the ROM upgrade then?
    -- If doing the hard reset, ROM upgrade, restore sequence: Exactly what option(s) do I use (on backup or restore & with which software - xbackup or Sprite) such that I can restore w/o having to reinstall everything from scratch as well as NOT get the 3500C patches back in again?

Thanks in advance for your (or others) help.

John

Without knowing what registry changes the ROM update includes, it is not possible to create a list of "just those changes."

For that reason you will need to exclude the registry from any restore that you do, which means you will need to reinstall all your applications.

Some people believe these changes to be minimal and not significant. In this case a full restore from Sprite Backup should be fine, and if you care about the cosmetic displayed ROM version you can tweak that in the registry. (It doesn't do anything at this point.)

Sprite backup. Select self-extracting backup. Select stop processes. Make sure everything is checked.
    Backup to a storage card.
    While you're at it, do an Xbackup to the storage card too. (Remember, the guy with one backup can have corruption, but if you do multiple backups they all seem to work

2. Hard reset, do the rom upgrade
    3. Set your date/time as appropriate
    4. Restore from the sprite backup. Nothing special to select.

E

Thanks for your (quick) reply...

So is reinstalling after the ROM upgrade as simple as using ActiveSync to restore with?

All the other caveats previously mentioned aside, yes.

Also note the name of this thread is "dam, lost lost of info....resynched..."

E